IGNORED

Its been 6 months

BIG TOM

6 MONTHS AGO I QUIT SMOKING..AFTER SMOKING FOR 40 YEARS , TATERS AND DECIDED TO STOP...DID THE CHANTIX THING, DONT RECOMEND THE DRUG UNLESS YOUR AWARE OF THE SIDE AFFECTS..CAN BE BAD FOR SOME...WAS FOR ME...NEVERLESS I QUIT AND STILL CANT BELIEVE I'M A NON SMOKER....WILL NEVER BE ONE OF THOSE PREACHING NON SMOKERS BECAUSE I KNOW HOW I HATED ALL THE SMOKING COMMENTS MADE TO ME OVER THE YEARS.....JUST HAPPY WE QUIT...BAD THING ,EVERY NOW AND THEN..I STILL HAVE THE URGE...WILL IT EVER STOP? WOULDN'T MIND ONE NOW...:whistling:

I would just like to say that both Jean and I admire those people that have quit smoking!! I personally didn't start until I was 40+ years old! (Don't ask why, It's a stupid story!) Recently, My work has gotten really strict about the whole smoking thing, forcing us to go to the far corner of the parking lot, into a small "shack" exposed to the weather, and just this week, I was written up for not returning to my work area fast enough after my smoke break. I have NEVER been written up at work before. I tried the Chantix med., and Jean found me in the garage, sawing on my wrist with an old rusty, tuna can lid so I had to give that one up! I had surgery last year and thought it would be a perfect time to quit, but I got soooo grumpy that It came to the point that it was either smoke again or start sleeping in the garage. I am a high energy person by nature, and smoking "calms me down". I have chewed gum until my inner lips were chewed up, I've chewed on straws, pencils, and used the patch, (don't smoke while using the patch, you fall down!). At this point, I would go to a "Witch Doctor" if I could get a positive result. I am, for the most part, a VERY confident person, but every time the subject of smoking comes up, I just hang my head, ashamed of myself. I didn't mean to get off on a rant here, Congrads on your ability to stop smoking, you have my upmost respect!

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
Oops! spelling!

Congratulations!

I quit many years ago and made the mistake of taking up chewing tobacco, quit that and started dipping. Anyway suffice it to say it's been a lifelong struggle. I'm free of it right now, and cannot stand the smell of cigarettes. I still get the urge to dip sometimes, but only when I'm around someone who does it. The main thing is once you've made it 6 months don't go back to it. I've seen lots of people have a moment of weakness and start back.

It's a lot easier to stay quit than to quit again.

Way to go!!! I've tried a couple times... managed 8 months the first time (and that was several years ago) and managed 2 months doing without a year ago... Nina says it's time to try again so, by end of year we're supposed to be off the smokes...

Way to go!!! I've tried a couple times... managed 8 months the first time (and that was several years ago) and managed 2 months doing without a year ago... Nina says it's time to try again so, by end of year we're supposed to be off the smokes...

THIS WAS MY SECOND ATTEMPT TO QUIT. THE FIRST TIME TATERS DIDN'T STOP..IT WAS TOUGH WITH SOMEONE ELSE SMOKING AROUND ME ALL THE TIME..IT LASTED 6 MONTHS..MUCH EASIER THIS TIME WITH TATERS QUITING WITH ME..ACTUALLY IT WAS HER IDEA TO QUIT, I JUST WENT ALONG FOR THE RIDE..WE BOTH KNOW IF WE SMOKE JUST ONE..IT ALL OVER..SOME DAYS ,I STILL GET THE URGE..I KNOW IT PASSES.. TRY TO KEEP MYSELF BUSY, AND MY MIND OFF OF IT..I CAN BEAT THIS ADDICTION...JUST WISH THAT THE URGES GO AWAY FOR GOOD.:pushups:

Hey Tom, Taters congratulations keep up the good work! You guys never mentioned it when we got together. My ex had to get off cigarettes and said it was WORSE that stopping drinking.

I know its terribly addictive and the cravings do lessen over time. But remember its a habit and one that gets deeply ingrained into us. Its the memory of that that comes back . Just don't give into to it.

Joanna and I are rooting for ya! Phil.

hey tom, taters congratulations keep up the good work! You guys never mentioned it when we got together. My ex had to get off cigarettes and said it was worse that stopping drinking.

I know its terribly addictive and the cravings do lessen over time. But remember its a habit and one that gets deeply ingrained into us. Its the memory of that that comes back . Just don't give into to it.

Joanna and i are rooting for ya! Phil.

i was told by a heroin addict a few months back that it was easier for her to get clean than it was to quit smoking..didn't believe her at the time..do now..

Big Tom: It goes away man...I did 5 weeks of the Chantix and started having the nausea...Wife is nurse...and told me to quit taking the stuff...I was not having any desire for the nicotine so she was OK with it...and my desire to STOP was REAL strong....Stopped on 10-1-07.....Have not touched one since....Really do not even think much about it now....Just look at others and thank GOD I have quite....57 years old....smokes since I was 24.....

My best day was 10-2-08.....Got to say..."Stopped over a year ago"...Got tired of counting the months...Used it as a GOAL....6 mths...7 mths....Hey...It almost a year...Now I'm starting on year two...

Hang in there Bud....Its all down hill from here...:clap2::clap2:

George In Virginia...

It took me thirty years and many tries but I quite. I've been off for about 7 or 8 years now. (I lost count, never thought THAT would happen) Every now and then I crave a really good cigar, love the smell of a good cigar. I know not to give in as I would be right back smoking again. One is one too many, a thousand not enough. Keep at it, it does get easier.:clap2::clap2: