IGNORED

Arriving in USA the 26th. of May 2009

StarFan

Dear fellow members.

I am one happy guy now. Just booked and paid for my airline ticket to USA the 26th. of May 2009 to attend "Freebirds Maintenance Day" and meet with all of you nice people. Heading back the 4th. of June. I am like a little kid waiting for Christmas - counting the days!! Can not express how much I am looking forward to this. My bike is in storage at motorcycle shop in Bearsville New York, ready for my arrival, tuned and lubed all through. Henry the nice gentleman in Woodstock NY. who sold me the bike will be picking me up at JFK and I will be spending a couple of days with him and his wife. Then on Friday morning I will hit the road for Oberlin Ohio. Estimate to arrive around 18.00 hours. Spend the weekend with you guys and then head back to Warren Ohio to meet Jim and the guys at the dealership(Yamaha of Warren) who sold me the bike I have in Iceland. Plan to drop by his place without notice and say hello. Think it will be more fun that way. Great guys there who have stretched out many times regarding accessories and spareparts for me and my riding buddys here in Iceland. Most likely spending a night there and taking a slow ride with lot of stops on my way back to New York riding through Pensylvania and hopefully find a Amish region and stop by and say hello so to speak.

Question - Would I want to ride through Pocono Mountains in PA?

When arriving in New York I will stay with my friend Henry for a couple of days and plan to take day rides upstate to Adirondak Park (Lake) as well as doing some neighbourhood riding in Woodstock. None of this is pinpointed except my arrival in New York and meeting you guys at Freebirds. The rest will be just roughly planned with all possibilities to change directions whenever I feel like it.

If any of you guys have any suggestions then by all means speak out. My travelling plan is based on doing a little bit of web browsing as well as using Google Earth.

So chime in and give this little Eskimo some suggestions and or guidance.

Last but not least - Where would you guys recomend me staying in Oberlin for these two nights? Forget the tent - I am to spoiled for that and hate snakes!

Read the other day an older post from someone who had been riding in the US and staying in small towns at 40 US$ motels. Is that possible? All I have found are 70 US$+ for the night. I am not picky regarding acomodation - all I need is a bed to sleep and a shower and I am happy.

O.K.,,,,O.K.,,,, I know it is almost seven months but bare with me. I am just so exited.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Hey, have a great trip in the US! I am probably not going to be at the event, but can tell you that a $40 (US) hotel is hard to find, even in the bad parts of town, and that is usually where they are. $65 and up is pretty much the rule, but with internet access, check out the many hotel/motel pricing sites and see what you can find.

Just a thought, if in mountain regions OUT of ski season, check out ski lodges. Out of season they provide great accomodations at bargain prices, but probably not $40! :)

You could also search bed and breakfast places, but again, it is tough to get much below $75 or so most places. But for a B&B the middle of the week is slow time, so call and negotiate some!

My wife and I wil be in the SE Pa region the week of July 4th. We will be staying in Reading Pa. Yes, you will enjoy the Poconos along with the Amish area. There are several members in the area to meet up with.

We are also planing on going to Don's maintenance day and staying the weekend. There wil most likely be a fairly large group travelling from Canada that we might meet up with. Hope to catch you along the way or at Don's!

Thanks Dynodon.

Actually I do not think 70 US$ is to much, just not familiar with your prices so I am kind of lost here. But you have straightened me out some so I am getting the picture. Seems like my internet browsing gave me the right prices.

Now all I need is to hear from you guys regarding travelling/riding routes.

We will be setting up accomodations at the Oberlin Inn (5 Miles from Don's) with a special rate, some guys also stayed at the "super 8" on the north side of town ( a little less expensive). Look forward to meeting you at Dons!! Enjoy the scenery across NY and Pennsylvania, I will envy you for sure!!

Dan

Here's some place to stop by, close to NYC, just north of Albany, NY. really nice affair, able to see every type of bike, buy all types of shiny chrome add-ons for bike, just one day would be worth it.

I may attend freebirds, riding Rte, 20 across NY, from MA. both ways. Nice ride if you want to see the country side. Rte. 6 across PA. is nice too. Pa. dutch country is great too. I'd try to hit nigura falls outside Buffalo, NY. for sure.

Check out Americade link here, next best thing to Daytona bike week with a much more milder crowd.

http://www.tourexpo.com/data/

Looking forward to meeting you Jonas, many of us stay that the Oberlin Inn which is very close to Don's. If I remember correctly, the rate was about $90 - $95.

We will most likely be going up later Thursday or Friday, we'll be making reservations as soon as the date is set.

Looking forward to meeting you Jonas, many of us stay that the Oberlin Inn which is very close to Don's. If I remember correctly, the rate was about $90 - $95.

We will most likely be going up later Thursday or Friday, we'll be making reservations as soon as the date is set.

The date is set.

Saturday 30th. of May 2009 at Don´s place. You can see it listed at the calendar and sign on.

Looking forward to see you there - I will stay at the Oberlin Inn if I manage to make a reservation.

Ride safely.

Hey Jonas it'll be great seeing you at Don's in May. With all the ensusiasm you're showing already it'll be contagious for the rest of us. :cool10:

I too am looking forward to next years Venture rider events whenever, wherever they may be. Have to pick and chose some of them but wouldn't miss Don's Maintance day nor the International Rally in August.

Larry

DONT FORGET TO GIVE ME A CALL WHEN YOU HIT WNY..A BUNCH OF US ARE PLANNING TO HIT MAINTENANCE DAY ALSO..WE WILL BE LEAVING WESTERN NY ON FRIDAY..IF YOU NEED A PLACE TO CRASH LET ME KNOW.. A HAVE A SPARE BED AND YOUR WELCOME TO IT..COME A LITTLE EARLY AND WE'LL DO SOME RIDING..ALSO TATERS AND I WILL BE DOING THE PENNSYLVANIA THING FROM FREEBIRDS ALSO..I PUT IN FOR VACATION FOR THAT WEEK .. JUST WAITING FOR APPROVIAL..YOU KNOW HOW TO GET A HOLD OF ME..:sign outstanding:

Edited by BIG TOM

DONT FORGET TO GIVE ME A CALL WHEN YOU HIT WNY..A BUNCH OF US ARE PLANNING TO HIT MAINTENANCE DAY ALSO..WE WILL BE LEAVING WESTERN NY ON FRIDAY..IF YOU NEED A PLACE TO CRASH LET ME KNOW.. A HAVE A SPARE BED AND YOUR WELCOME TO IT..COME A LITTLE EARLY AND WE'LL DO SOME RIDING..ALSO TATERS AND I WILL BE DOING THE PENNSYLVANIA THING FROM FREEBIRDS ALSO..I PUT IN FOR VACATION FOR THAT WEEK .. JUST WAITING FOR APPROVIAL..YOU KNOW HOW TO GET A HOLD OF ME..:sign outstanding:

Thanks Tom for offering me to sleep over - that is very nice of you. I might hold you up on that one but I do not know my plans from day to day but I will surely be in contact and let you know when I arrive. Would be nice to meet you on the way to Ohio or ride with you guys. When you say that you are in Western NY - is that western part of the state or Western part of New York city?

Anyhow - thank you all for your nice suggestions and warm welcome. Again - can not express how much I look forward to this.

Now - I do need some route suggestions from Woodstock to Oberlin. Plan to take my time and prefer the backroads. Have done some routing on Google Earth and on the North America map on my computer (Zumo 550) but have no clue if I am picking a good way or not.

One last question:

What is the difference between "Interstate", "Highway", and "RT" roads (how many lanes, traffic to expect and so forth)? I do know that the interstate is the biggest road with most likely the heaviest traffic but not to sure about the other two.

Hey Jonas,

Jean and I plan to attend Don's Maintainance Day in Ohio and live in central Pennsylvaina. We have a very large Amish community in our area and take advantage of their many craft services on a regular basis. We can offer you free lodgeing, some of Jean's famous "to die for" cooking, a trip to the Amish community that you will never forget, and I am sure a few of the members in the area will be more than happy to ride along with you as you travel thru central Pa. I have been known to twist a wrench or two on my bike and any other rider that stops by. If your schedule allows you to stop by after Don's Maintainance Day, then please feel free to call our home, your home for as long as you like. Our phone number is in our profile, please feel free to call, or drop me a PM to firm up any plans you need to make.

We are looking forward to meeting you at Don's!

Earl and Jean

Hey Jonas,

Jean and I plan to attend Don's Maintainance Day in Ohio and live in central Pennsylvaina. We have a very large Amish community in our area and take advantage of their many craft services on a regular basis. We can offer you free lodgeing, some of Jean's famous "to die for" cooking, a trip to the Amish community that you will never forget, and I am sure a few of the members in the area will be more than happy to ride along with you as you travel thru central Pa. I have been known to twist a wrench or two on my bike and any other rider that stops by. If your schedule allows you to stop by after Don's Maintainance Day, then please feel free to call our home, your home for as long as you like. Our phone number is in our profile, please feel free to call, or drop me a PM to firm up any plans you need to make.

We are looking forward to meeting you at Don's!

Earl and Jean

Dear Earl and Jean.

Thank you so much for your genorous offer. I will send you a P.M. in ten minutes!

Jonas, Big Tom lives in the western part of New York state, near Buffalo/Niagara Falls. I live south of him. We will be meeting up with you on Friday if that's the route you are taking. We wil most likely meet up with several Canadians as well. We wil hit Oberlin late Friday afternoon. Should take about 6 hours to get there.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Interstate--- 4 lane "freeway- speeds 65+ mph (I-71 (odd) north/south, I-70 (even) are east/west, same goes for state routes)

Highway--- State highway routes-- mostly 4 and 2 lane, clearly marked, usually good routes to travel

RT- could be local roads, but usually state roads

Hope this helps,

Dan