IGNORED

Need First Gen. Advice

Hey, am new to this site but have been involved with the Royal Star family for any years. Got back into biking with an '85 VR that I eventually sold and replaced with a '98 RSTD which I currently am riding. My ? is this, particularly from those who are still starry eyed over the 1st Gen models. Although I like my '98, I like the looks, amenities, and touring package that is 1st gen. As I research these bike hindsight bring out various imperfections in certain year models and I am curious about your opinions of which year models of the 1st gen bikes may have been a step up or better refined than the others. Appreciate you input.

83 & 84 & part way through 85 2nd gear was an issue ie popping out on hard throttel after 40K. Yamaha drop the Venture Standard & just made Royales from 86 till 93. Larger saddle bags & trunks from 86 till 93. 83-4-5 had 1200 86 up 1300. If you run a serch on this site for the History you can get all the specs.:canada::canada::canada:

Other then a few Specific problems with the 83 and 84 Transmission's and Water Pump. ( the impeller ) Those two maintenance problems would be specific to the early years.

The early years, did have a Frame Cracking, problem.

The 86 and up, do have a Heavier Dry Weight. ( but added storage space )

They all seem to have some problems, with Cracked Plastic parts, ( easy to repair )

They all have pretty much the same Electrical Problem's.

1. Stator's fail, ( fairly common problem )

2. Some low quality electrical plugs, burn up, and fail ( Wireing harness problems due to ageing and moisture )

3. Carburetor problems,specificly detoriated diaphrams, and throttle linkage problems.

( Basicly every 1st Gen, needs diaphrams replaced, if never done )

4. TCI ( ignition box) failures due to Moisture( They all need to be removed and servided )

5. Throttle cable breakage, ( over 50K ) ( very common problem )

6. Front Suspension Springs ( worn out over 50K ) ( replace with Progressive Suspension and add a " SuperBrace "

7. Front End Wobble problems. ( Service Steering head bearings )

8. Various Instrument Panel Warning light problems.

9. Replaceing the Heavy Battery Cables, is common maintenance.

10. Clutch Slippage is VERY COMMON ( Fix, Barnett Clutch )

11. Early models 83 to 85, has a Water Pump Impeller Issue ( may have been a recall)

My 89, has had " ALL " of the Commonly reported problems, I dealt with them all myself. Its at 72K now and running strong !!! ( Better bike now, then when New )

However, haveing said all this, Remember, we are talking about OLD machines 20 PLus years Old, so we are dealing with Mileage and Ageing Issues

( And if you buy an old one, remember, " DUNCE " the mechanic has probably been working on it sometime dureing all those years )

Appreciate the input thus far, and most has been pretty much along the lines I have been hearing else where. My '85 had an electrical gremlin and I ended up doing a tear down to access every electrical connection I could find and cleaning and greasing them all and when I got done she ran fine and never gave me another problem along those lines. Have been thinking mostly along the lines of an 86 or newer for the simple fact of 100 more cc's and more storeage, so I will keep my eyes peeled. Any more input is extremely welcomed.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

Keeping it simple, like stated above '86-'93, also refereed to as MkII's. '83-'85's are MkI's. The closer to '93 and the lower miles the better. Anything in an '85 over serial # 1413 has an interesting set up in that they have the stronger second gear, larger trunk, and all 3 pieces of luggage are key lock removable. Kinda the best of both worlds...

Keeping it simple, like stated above '86-'93, also refereed to as MkII's. '83-'85's are MkI's. The closer to '93 and the lower miles the better. Anything in an '85 over serial # 1413 has an interesting set up in that they have the stronger second gear, larger trunk, and all 3 pieces of luggage are key lock removable. Kinda the best of both worlds...

And the 85s are the fastest,,,,, yes,,,, faster than the 1300s.

Yamaha drop the Venture Standard & just made Royales from 86 till 93. Larger saddle bags & trunks from 86 till 93.

I had a 86 Standard model, maybe these were made in Canada only as they were different colour (not listed in the History section). It was nice two tone greyish.

I have seen about five of these in total, so it was a standard and standard colour for Canada only

BRad

I like my 84 Standard with the fixed 2nd gear. I can now nail it in 1st riding 2 up, run rather quickly thru 3rd to high double digits no problem at all. Matter of fact, it's quite fun!! I'm sure the Nav likes it, she hasn't complained yet!

:thumbsup: