IGNORED

Check the idle speed before Carbtune

Personally I would not worry about it, at least before hand.

After you sync the carbs you may find that the idle may need adjusting. Seems that if they were out and then they get sync'd you may have to decrease your idle a bit. You can pretty hear where it should be running.

Brad

It's not super important but you should be in and around the 900 to 1000 mark. If you can do this constantly during the adjustment of the 4 carbs you should be ok. This can only work if you have a carbtune, that is you have 4 separate gauges,,, if someone should have a homemade one like I got with only 1 gauge then RPM's become very important.

Most auto parts stores sell clip on tachometers for testing.

You might try your local Harbor Freight (HF) store if you want a cheep tool, sold inexpensively.

HERE is a HF multimeter with a tachometer and temperature probe for $35, but I try for coupons or sales at HF.

To me, HF = Caveat emptor

logic tells me that if the idle speed is too low, the vacuum is insufficient to get a good reading on the carbtune. Having the idle up to appx 900 would ensure proper vacuum.

I'm just guessing here but to me, it makes sense (logically speaking)...

In my opinion,

Is if the idle speed is too low, the vacuum is insufficient to get a good reading on the carbtune..as already stated in a posting above...but hey, what do I know., its only my 2 cents worth...

:thumbsup2:

In my opinion,

Is if the idle speed is too low, the vacuum is insufficient to get a good reading on the carbtune..as already stated in a posting above...but hey, what do I know., its only my 2 cents worth...

:thumbsup2:

You may be right. It just makes sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Carbtune Pro yesterday and will be syncing my carbs tomorrow. I have adjusted the idle speed when I changed my oil and final drive oil. Now I still have to put my Carbtune Pro together...the Carbtune manual stated that I need to make the dampers....90 cm. of rubber tubing from the Carbtune...then a piece of the clear plastic (cut into 4 equal sizes) as the restrictor...then 10 cm. of rubber hose going after that towards the engine. Do I really have to make the restrictors? What do I really want for the first rubber tubing from the Carbtune...longer or shorter for more or less damping?

The kit also came with adapters...am I going to use the adapters or just the rubber hose that came with the Carbtune?

I just want to get ready, before I attempt my first carb sync.

When I did mine I just cut the original tubes back the prescribed length for the adapters and used the restrictors supplied to splice them back together.

In retrospect I will say that I had problrms with the tubes supplied by Morgan collapsing when they got warm, so I replaced them with vacuum hose from the local auto supply store.Still used the restrictors.

Steve,

What size adapters did you use? The 4x5 mm or 4x6 mm? Sounds like I will need to use the restrictors and install them on all 4 hose. Thanks for the heads up on the collapsing of the tubes...I hope that I do not have to spend no more than 10 to 15 minutes while syncing the carbs.

Mike.

WITHOUT the inline restricters, you will NEVER be able to sync, your carbs, or anything else.

the restricters are there to MINIMIZE the vacuum.

this keeps the rods from jumping around like "mexican jumping beans"!

don't ask me how i know.

lol

just jt

Had my Bike in for 16,000 check up.

New tires put on ( Avons stock )

Carbs tune

all oil change 20/ 50 Gear oil change

new Sparks Pu-- & other checks. Little front end wobbly ( Gone ) Put about 110 miles on new Tires RSV running Gooooood

Few $$$$$

Mike.

WITHOUT the inline restricters, you will NEVER be able to sync, your carbs, or anything else.

the restricters are there to MINIMIZE the vacuum.

this keeps the rods from jumping around like "mexican jumping beans"!

don't ask me how i know.

lol

just jt

I already put together the hose with restrictors between the 90 cm tube and 10 cm tube on all 4. My next question is...did you use any adapters on the Venture? I guess I will also find out, when I tackle the job.

Had my Bike in for 16,000 check up.

New tires put on ( Avons stock )

Carbs tune

all oil change 20/ 50 Gear oil change

new Sparks Pu-- & other checks. Little front end wobbly ( Gone ) Put about 110 miles on new Tires RSV running Gooooood

Few $$$$$

Very good. Sounds like your Venture is nice and healthy and good for another 3000 to 4000 miles before the next oil change. I did my own oil change and final gear oil at 600 miles...I intend to change oil and gear oil every 3000 miles.

Wonder what was the problem with your front end wobbling?? How did they fix it? Would you like to share your total repair bill?

N3FOL

You do not need the adapters at all, those are for other bikes that have threaded test ports. The Venture has has 4 small "nipples" as the test ports, those are covered with either a rubber cover or a small hose (2 of each) . When you remove those covers and hoses you will see the nipples just put your Carbtune hose on those. DO NOT try to remove the nipples, just connect into them.

Remember make small adjustments you should not need to be turning the adjustment screws very much, small adjustments wiil make a big difference in the readings.

Good Luck

This morning, I went ahead and used my Carbtune Pro. It is one of the best tool I'll ever have for the Venture in addition to the clamp on meter to read idle speed. It took me 15 minutes to synched the carbs and it seems that I've done mostly left turns on the screw driver. My initial readings appear to be Carb 1 and 2 are lower than Carb 3 and 4. I had to adjust 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4. Every instruction that I got from this forum is on the dot. Now, all my carbs are pretty much even to each other and idle speed at 1000 rpm.

Hi MikeC. I got mine about that same time via UPS Ground. The only exception on the delivery was that the vendor required a signature and I am always never home during the week to receive the package. I ended up taking a nice ride to their UPS facility locally in York, PA. and received it just in time for the weekend.

This is what I ordered yesterday together with the Carbtune II. I would check the idle first with the bike nice and warm before synchronizing the carburetors.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/esi325.html

How do you use these clip on tachs? What do you actually clip it onto? I synched my carbs a couple of times this summer and it made an improvement to the feel of the engine if nothing else.. however no idea what the revs were..

Cheers M8

Seaking,

The meter is very user friendly. Simply clamp it on one of the spark plug wires and it will read rpm. There are different settings on the meter for X1, X10 and so on...so it depends on you as to how you like your numbers to appear.

I think the first time I used my Carbtune and clamp on meter...it already paid for itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents worth, First, you do need to have the bike warmed up. That way there is the maximum sealing in the cylinders to create accurate vacuum. Second, set the idle speed. You won't get a good vacuum signal if it is too low. Third re-check/adjust idle after adjustments are made. I ordered the carbtune pro and it is a great tool. I've also used it on my boat, and some friends classic cars with multiple carbs. Just don't let one of the hoses touch the exhaust. It will melt right through.:bang head: Also the supplied hoses get real soft when warm so I went out and bought some thicker hoses. I use the instructions that I found here on venture rider to sync the carbs, and they were great (Thanks goes to Freebird ) here is the link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258