IGNORED

Famed 83-85 2nd gear failure

My 83 venture seems to have the famed slipping in 2nd gear. I knew this when I bought it, but it was a great price and worth the aggrivation for getting it for very little cash.

I heard that when the 2nd gear was fixed the dealers made a mark on the case near the VIn number. When I had the bike apart yesterday to sync the carbs I decided to clean up the engine and tranny case and noticed what looks like someoen took a punch and make a large DOT right next to the Vin number on the textured part that holds the number.

Is it possible the bike had the fix done? I am getting slipping if I accelerate hard in 2nd. but I can accelerate like a madman in 1st and 3rd and not feel any slipping.

Reason I ask, I was reading the threads about the clutch and how the springs or 20 year old discs can cause slipping, and that the bike will slip in 2nd.

My 88 slips, ( I'll be changing clutches and upgrading to coil springs this winter)...but it can be kinda tempremental as to when and where it slips. Sometimes I can't make it slip, and sometimes it slips in some gears, and not others, on bad days I can make it slip in any gear. I'm sure a clutch change will cure the issue for both of us.

Anybody out there have barnett clutches and coil springs????? and if so, how do ya like'm?:thumbsup:

I have the complete Barnett set up in my 89. Absolutly NO Slippage. I'm totally satisfied with the Barnett Clutch.

Another way to test for slippage, is From about 70 MPH, double downshift to 3rd gear, and floorboard it. Thats how I found mine was badly slipping. Bike had about 30K on it at the time.

My 83 venture seems to have the famed slipping in 2nd gear. I knew this when I bought it, but it was a great price and worth the aggrivation for getting it for very little cash.

I heard that when the 2nd gear was fixed the dealers made a mark on the case near the VIn number. When I had the bike apart yesterday to sync the carbs I decided to clean up the engine and tranny case and noticed what looks like someoen took a punch and make a large DOT right next to the Vin number on the textured part that holds the number.

Is it possible the bike had the fix done? I am getting slipping if I accelerate hard in 2nd. but I can accelerate like a madman in 1st and 3rd and not feel any slipping.

Reason I ask, I was reading the threads about the clutch and how the springs or 20 year old discs can cause slipping, and that the bike will slip in 2nd.

Hum-m-m-m.....that's the first time I've heard about a mark indicating a fix. BUT, I'd really like to investigate that a little futher. I still think the VIN is the best indicator. Just hang loose for awhile, someone will set us straight on that issue. About the slipping, if that's what you really have, it's the clutch. But, If you're calling jumping out of gear "slipping", then that's a bit more serious.

If I get on the throttle at anything other than a light accceleration or cruise then 2'nd gear let's go as if someone kicked the shifter or pulled in the clutch really fast. It does not slip like a car where you all of a sudden get high rpm's but an instant slip-grab slip-grab that jerks the bike. I cant get it to do that in any other gear. although I have not tried to really nail it in 3rd yet.

If I simply let up on the throttle, I'm still in 2nd. I usually roll my eyes and click up to third to get around it.

Yep, that's the 2nd gear jumpout all right.

You can either resort to 1-3 shifts or fix it.

Quite a bit depends on how you ride the bike. The powerband and available torqe doesn't penalize you much if you skip 2nd. Even on the expressway ramp, you can wind it up a bit higher in first and go the third without much downside.

If you want to take on the challenge of fixing it, it is certainly doable with the excellent instructions foud here and at (that other site) from Scott McMartin and others.

Having fixed one and then later selling it, I think I'd ride it as is. There is no downside to the life of anything else in the transmission by doing this. None at all!

If you have the punch mark, it could be that some savvy PO actually added it to increase the value of the bike. Adding this mark was done by dealers as an indication that the fix had been made.

I don't think anyone has ever heard of a repeat failure on a "fixed" bike.

Murph'

i seem to recall a discussion a couple of years ago, about a "punch mark"indicating a 2nd gear repair.

maybe Condor, can dredge up the thread and verify or disprove out theory.

just jt

The last time I posted anything about the punch mark was to ask if anyone had ever seen one of the illusive things??? I never have. I think it may have been a couple of dealers way of telling if a bike had been modified, but maybe wasn't a common practice with all dealers, and has since become a myth??? I don't even know if there is a tech bulletin that mentions marking it, or explains where to put it. If there is I'd like to hear about it.....

If the fix was done just simply by replacing the thrust washer and not dressing the gears, you could very well have the issue repeat itself. The dogs in the gears are square cut to each other and during time and wearing of the thrust washer (the washer keeps the gears mated deep together) the gears tend not to mate as deep and wear a bit and so become 'off square'. This in turn will put more pressure on the thrust washer causing it to wear again, or more, and that gives more room in the mating area of 2nd gear and it will pop apart again. In my opinion the gears need to be dressed as well as the thrust washer replaced or you'll have a repeat problem.

Hope this makes sense.