IGNORED

Harley touring versus venture

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more leg room and liquid cooling (Longer motor life) on the Venture.

There is more chrome on and accessories available for the H-D.

the H-D has a full array of gauges and a louder stereo.

The Venture leaves a few thousand more in your bank account.

Edited by KiteSquid

Had a Harley, but it's been a while and it wasn't a tourer.

But...

In July of '07 Irene and I were in the Badlands. A German fellow approached me as I parked the Venture. Once I figured out that he wasn't being harsh, it was just the way his accent sounded we had an interesting chat. He and his group had rented really nice HD tourers. They were parked because it was over 100 out and the engine heat was getting to the passengers. He was impressed with the Venture and the fact that we were only stopping for an Indian Taco and not to let the bike cool down. Eventually he walked off saying "They didn't tell me about this." Like the HD dealer he rented from was gonna say "Or you could rent this Venture..."

Don't get me wrong. I like Harleys. I just wouldn't want one as my only bike, and I really wouldn't want to go touring on one. I've been spoiled by the liquid cooling, the V-Four, and the shaft drive.

Could just be me though. :2cents:

I get to ride brother in laws " spare " Harley now and then. ( He has extra cash )

( I don't ) Its a nice ride, no complaints.

My long distance ride is an 89 Venture.

My Fun bike is a Busa. ( I'm sort of addicted to power )

I much prefer the V-4 Engine, of the Venture. ( and all the extra power )

If you get a few test rides on both, I would reccomend doing that before you make a decission.

You can find left over Ventures, 07's and 08's for about 12 to 15K Verse, 20K plus for most of the Harley models. ( however, lots of Harleys comeing up on the used market now, with the financial messssssss )

:witch_brew:

My buddy, who has riddin for 20 years bought a fully loaded, Ultra (Top of the line model) last year, with the Screaming Eagle package. The price was in the neighborhood of $30K. (He has always owned Harleys) It's been in the shop twice for bad gaskets, and once more for a wiring issue.(Harley covered everything under warranty). He loves the bike but admits that motor is really hot.

I was close to buying a Road King before I picked up my 2005 RSV Midnight ( for $10K). I'm glad I went with the RSV. For the money, features, comfort, and (so far) realibility, it's a good choice for me. I will admit though, whenever someone finds out I ride, the first question is usually, "Do you have a Harley"? (This usually comes from non-riders who think the the sun rises and falls with HD). When I tell them I have and RSV...well, they have no clue. On occassion I will email these same people a picture of my RSV. Their reply? "Hey...that looks like a Harley!" Go figure. :confused24:

I will admit though, whenever someone finds out I ride, the first question is usually, "Do you have a Harley"? (This usually comes from non-riders who think the the sun rises and falls with HD). When I tell them I have and RSV...well, they have no clue. On occassion I will email these same people a picture of my RSV. Their reply? "Hey...that looks like a Harley!" Go figure. :confused24:

"Harley" is so synonimous with "motorcycle" that most people, even a lot of the ones who do ride seem to ask the same question ... "oh...ya got a Harley?"

I answer ... "hardly"

:sign20:

Who has owned a Harley touring bike, and how do you like Harley compared to the venture? Would you go back to a Harley, or do you like the venture better?

I have two HD touring bikes, an RSV and a Triumph. They all have their +'s and -'s. None is the perfect bike. I enjoy each of them for what they have to offer.

Ride safe,

TTW

i have an 07 venture now....had an 03 electra glide for 4 yrs......put 35,000 on it before the motor went....everything mentioned above is true.....the harley is lighter and easier to handle when your using your feet....i miss that harley sound....venture seat is better, 40 more horses, smoother, 5year unlimited mileage warranty, can't beat that.....more bike for the money.....i'll keep the venture

Just got rid of a 2000 Ultra and I have to say with great respect to '99 RSV in my garage that I liked the Ultra better than anything I have owned over the last 30+ years. Someone already said that every bike has their pluses and minuses. And that sure is true. But if money was not an option I would own another Ultra. Not that the RSV isn't nice 'cause it is. It's just that the Ultra seems to have more . . . personality . . . somehow.

Personally I love how the Road Glide looks, but I am a realist air cooled in the south during the summer...no thanks. That being said I would love to ride one for a weekend just to able to honestly test one to the other.

Road glides look alright for a Harley need a Vrod motor and even I 1st Gen lover might be interested in 1 best handling of all the Harley big bikes IMHO. You can deck them out like a Ultra. If I had to get a Harley these would be the one.

I have both an 07 Venture and an 03 Harley Ultra. The Venture is more comfortable for cruising and has more leg room. The Harley has more torque and is easier to handle around town. They are both fun and if I only could own one bike I would probably stick with the Venture, although the new Harley is making it a closer call.....but it doesn't come with a cassette deck.:680:

Never had a Harley but always wanted a 60's ElectraGlide, but then I like odd things. Sure would make a nice weekend bike It would be the Venture to actually go places. For now I need to hold at the three bikes I already own including the one that I have never even see run.

Jerry

A member here just bought himself a nice brandy new one! He seems happy and so am I as I got a part from his venture!

Pilot is his handle.

That would be me.

Well now to start off lets just say if you want a very nice bike to take very long trips on and you don't want to break the bank....BUY THE VENTURE! The Venture has a great deal going for it, less money, comfortable and plenty of cockpit room. I loved the three I owned so I have a bit of background on them. I have been on many 5000 + miles and was never unhappy with it's performance. I have not been on any 5000+ mile trips yet on the Ultra so I can't say how that compares, but so far it's a comfortable bike, just a bit less cockpit room. But you get used to that.

Now to the newly designed 09 Ultra. Well I love it. The handling of the Ultra in cornering and twisties is like a dream compared to the Venture. The saddlebags and trunk have been pushed back on the 09's to give your passenger more room, they also will handle more weight in them then the venture will. Theirs much more room in them then the Venture (only important if your wife goes with you) LOL.

Theirs more power and torgue to the rear wheel then the Venture. More options are available and you can find lots more t-shirts that say Harley on them then you can that say Yamaha on them....More LOL, but true.

Just buy the bike you want, you will be happy with it.

Ohhh I forgot the Venture is much less $$$$ then a Harley Ultra, has a better factory warrenty (costs you extra on the Harley) But if you want you can continue to purchase factory warrenties for up to 15 years on a Harley.

Now the resale on a Harley is MUCH better then that on a Venture. So if your not sure buy a Harley and if you don't like it sell it and buy a Venture that way you won't loos as much as if you went the other way around.

The redesigned 09's are not as hot for the passenger as other older models and you can shut the rear cyc off with just a twist of the wrist when you want or let the computer do it automatically. The Harley has MUCH more current technology then the Venture even though about.

Ride Safe.

I'm happy with my 09 Ultra.

Ohh forgot about the engine on the new 09 Ultra's it's designed and made by Porsche.

If you want to talk more about the two just give me a call or pm me.

Edited by Pilot

Road glides look alright for a Harley need a Vrod motor and even I 1st Gen lover might be interested in 1 best handling of all the Harley big bikes IMHO. You can deck them out like a Ultra. If I had to get a Harley these would be the one.

I have to tell you Jim, if the '08 H/D had the Vrod motor in it...I would probably own one. I have said it here many times that H/D listens to their buyers, Yamaha doesn't. If H/D does go ahead and put that engine into their big frames....the Japs will be in touble. I still like to go fast and have good performance in the curves, the RSV gives me that. As soon as the Harley will keep up with the V4 we have, and dont be laughing boys, I will own one.

Theirs more power and torgue to the rear wheel then the Venture???

Id have to disagree on that..If I am not mistaken the Harley has 68 Stock HPat Crank..Venture 98Hp at crank,on Dyno mine has 79 at rear wheel. Ive run ALOT of Harleys as alot of my friends ride them..1st and 2nd they are with me,maybe jump me on 1st and low 2nd,but after you hit 3rd on the Venture it is all over with for the Harley.Granted the torque on the Harley is AWESOME at 92Ft Lbs. Now this is not to criticize the Harley AT ALL as the New ones are GREAT bikes,Just a fair comparison as far as speed one versus the other.As far as power,I test rode one,2008 for half a day here in the Hill Country and normal places I usually ride I did alot more downshifting on the Harley.When I got back to Gruens HD I asked if this was normal and theSaleman told me that I was not going to get the POWER out of it as I do with the RSV,the service manager that was checking the bike back in said the same thing,BUT if I put a ,(I think he said Stage 1 Kit on it) it would do a lot better. Again,NOT RUNNING DOWN A HARLEY,just stating my experience..after all I dont care what anyone rides,at our ages its just great we are riding! (Some of our ages)

Well here's my two cents:

I had a 05 venture, and now have a 08 ultra so I can speak from experience here.

First of all I do miss by Venture and wish I still had it!! Now with that said I'll be short and to the point of my thoughts.

One of the biggest things I noticed where the Venture comes out ahead of the HD is the room the driver and passenger has. I just came back from two day 900 mile trip on the HD and found myself trying to find a comfortable place in the saddle. I did a 800 mile two day trip on Venture and had no problems stretching out to get comfy.

There has been alot of talk about the heat coming off the air cooled engine on the HD. After 7,000 mile so far the year I've had no real problems. Stopped in traffic you get some heat, but nothing to bad.

The Venture is much smooooother and quieter then the HD. Once under way on the HD it's smooth out, but not as much as the Venture.

The HD has a user friendly sound system (volume at one thumb, and tuner at the other) build in CD player. with a MP3 port. It sound good too.

In the line of power (now remember I've been in the saddle both) the HD WILL walk away from the venture and has a high top speed if that matters.

The hd has a nice dash full of gages, which we all know the venture lacks in.

All in all there both good machines it just depends what’s most important to you. In my case be comfy for those long rides is where the venture out classes the HD.

I just wish Yamaha would listen to the people that buy/ride their products. The changes they made for 2009 is just like Kraft macaroni and cheese (the cheesiest)

Guest tx2sturgis

Now to the newly designed 09 Ultra. Well I love it. The handling of the Ultra in cornering and twisties is like a dream compared to the Venture. .......The saddlebags and trunk have been pushed back on the 09's to give your passenger more room, they also will handle more weight in them then the venture will. Theirs much more room in them then the Venture (only important if your wife goes with you) LOL.

What i have found is that the Venture has a smaller trunk, but the Ultra has smaller saddlebags....over all luggage capacity is about the same.

Theirs more power and torgue to the rear wheel then the Venture. More options are available and you can find lots more t-shirts that say Harley on them then you can that say Yamaha on them....More LOL, but true.
I own dozens of Harley branded t-shirts, plus other clothing as well. They put out a nice line of leather accessories..I have a very nice leather jacket from the HD shop in Sturgis SD. Of course, some say The Motor Company is a clothing manufacturer, with a motorcycle division....:moon:

Just buy the bike you want, you will be happy with it.

Ohhh I forgot the Venture is much less $$$$ then a Harley Ultra, has a better factory warrenty (costs you extra on the Harley) But if you want you can continue to purchase factory warrenties for up to 15 years on a Harley.

Long term ownership of a high mileage Harley can be expensive. Of course, that can be the case with any bike. I have spent a LARGE amount of money keeping my Ultra in top condition. On the other hand, it IS paid for, so there IS that.

Now the resale on a Harley is MUCH better then that on a Venture. So if your not sure buy a Harley and if you don't like it sell it and buy a Venture that way you won't loos as much as if you went the other way around.
Pilot, that is true but ONLY if the bike is traded or sold in the first 2 years of ownership. A nice used Harley Ultra less than 2 years old, and less than 20,000 miles on it, will command a decent price..not far below a new bike. It will normally have had a lot done to it, like Stage 1 or 2, plus pipes, chrome bits here and there, and spot-on maintainence. After 2 years or 20,000 miles, the value starts to tank, and for many years the value will drop. Go into a dealership and ask them what they would give for an 8 year old Ultra with nearly 100,000 miles on it and watch them laugh. I paid $22,000 for my Ultra ( yes that was above MSRP) in June of 2000, and have spent many thousands of dollars on upgrades. But with over 70,000 miles on it, the value to a dealer now is around...maybe...7 to 9 thousand...If I'm lucky. Sure, if I keep it 42 more years, the value may stabilize, or increase, that is, IF we can still even BUY gas.

Ok...your saying...no...he's wrong...the Harley will always be worth a LOT more than a jap bike at trade in time...ok...do this. Go to [/url]www.KBB..com.

Go to the motorcycle trade in section and enter a 2000 UltraClassic ElectraGlide ( near top of the line at the time) Shows to be worth about $9000 in GOOD condition. I spent 22,000 to buy it, and around 3000 on upgrades.

Put in a 2000 Royal Star Venture MM limited. ( top of the line at the time, and I admit, I dont know how much the 'upgrades' would have been on an 8 year old Venture. I'm guessing around $1000?).

It shows just under $6000. What? only a $3000 difference in trade in value? But the Harley cost $10-$12,000 more to buy! Do WHAT? :bang head:

And this isnt just internet data. This really happens in real life. My local dealers simply DO NOT want my bike as a trade...one shop owner laughed at the thought of it. He would take it as a consignment he said, letting it sit out in the sun all day 6 days a week, hoping someone would take it off his hands. And he would gladly skim 20% off the selling price for doing so. And of course, selling it used directly to an individual is possible, but then...are you going to let novice riders ( novice, uninformed riders, and broke old geezers are the primary buying pool for 8 year old Ultras) take her out for a spin?

Sure, markets are changing, and technology will too. But dont tell me your going to do well financially owning a Harley. I've owned 3 of them. It wont happen.

Thats mostly true. When it comes to the external technology, the Harley is a nice well thought out machine. Designed to be easy to ride, and comfy, and now, they even handle better. But pick up some back issues of American Rider and read thru what the experts say about Harleys use of inferior bearings, pressure valves, and oil pumps. Noisy transmissions. Cheap motor mounts and swingarm bushings. The problem is, Harley cheaps out on the things you cant see when you buy it. Those little plastic chain tensioners keeping the camchain tight WILL disintegrate in time,( mine were breaking up at 40,000 miles) and they WILL send tiny bits of plastic all over inside your oil supply, where they may not hurt a thing, OR, like a buddy of mine, they may get caught in a pressure relief valve and plug up the oil supply to the crank. ( $2700 later, its rideable) Twin Cam engines dont filter all the oil on every pass thru the system. Or didnt the salesman tell you that?

For many years, you will be VERY happy with a Harley Ultra , especially if you put on around 5,000 miles a year or less. But start actually using it for the job it seems to be designed for, and it will be hemorrhaging your wallet. When my Ultra was brand spanking new, it had a crankcase oil wet-sump problem, and long story short, when it gave me trouble on the road, and I babied it into a dealership, and the dealership took 4 days to fix it, and I had to walk back and forth to the motel from the dealership and back everyday, and they had no vehicle I could use, and I lost four days of my vacation, and when it was finally 'fixed' ( it wasnt!) I left and later on put in a claim to HOG for the breakdown expenses, and they denied the claim because I RODE it in, since it wasnt TOWED in...Yes...the repair was covered under warranty, but I was out 4 nights in motels and meals and lost 5 days of my vacation.

Dont even get me started talking about the time when I was in Sturgis and the drive belt broke!

Yeah...$760 later, I rode back to the campground. That sure spoiled my mood!

And by the way, that TwinCam motor ( as well as the Revolution motor) was designed by Porshe and Harley, with the Harley Engineering team residing in Germany back in the mid to late '90s. Today, alot of the engineering is done with the CAD and CAM applications online, and the various engineers involved on a project sometimes never see each other face to face. I'm not actually sure where the Twin Cam is machined and assembled these days...the Harley website is not specific about that particular motor.

Anyway, enjoy the nice new ride...I'm very impressed by the new Harleys myself. I'd love to own one. But my wallet still hurts everytime I get near one of the new ones. Maybe its trying to tell me something.

If you have a good income level, its not a problem though...its only money, right?:mo money:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Well here's my two cents:

In the line of power (now remember I've been in the saddle both) the HD WILL walk away from the venture and has a high top speed if that matters.

I agree with most of what you said Ken, but nope: Unless its a Screamin Eagle or otherwise upgraded motor, the Venture will out run the Harley, as long as the distance is longer than a block or two. Maybe your Venture was mistuned?

My Venture will smoke EVERY ONE of the touring, dyna,and softail Harleys that I've run against, except for a couple of bikes that have had THOUSANDS of dollars in upgrades. And I wont be running against a Buell or V-Rod...those are FAST!

I only wish that somehow, I could run MY Venture against MY Ultra, and see which is the faster bike. I've done a few upgrades on my 88 inch Ultra. Its faster than some of the new 96 inch TwinCams... I know the Ultra will run out of steam around 100-110mph....but the Venture is still pulling! My seat-of-the-pants dyno tells me that the Harley will out pull the Venture for about 3 gears, but then the Venture will catch it and leave it behind. Ahh....bench racing...its fun!

I agree with most of what you said Ken, but nope: Unless its a Screamin Eagle or otherwise upgraded motor, the Venture will out run the Harley, as long as the distance is longer than a block or two. Maybe your Venture was mistuned?

My Venture will smoke EVERY ONE of the touring, dyna,and softail Harleys that I've run against, except for a couple of bikes that have had THOUSANDS of dollars in upgrades. And I wont be running against a Buell or V-Rod...those are FAST!

I only wish that somehow, I could run MY Venture against MY Ultra, and see which is the faster bike. I've done a few upgrades on my 88 inch Ultra. Its faster than some of the new 96 inch TwinCams... I know the Ultra will run out of steam around 100-110mph....but the Venture is still pulling! My seat-of-the-pants dyno tells me that the Harley will out pull the Venture for about 3 gears, but then the Venture will catch it and leave it behind. Ahh....bench racing...its fun!

I trust your evaluation seeing you have both! I have met quite a few that do not REV the RSV to full potential,if they do that it is no contest..Granted these are touring bikes but they do run if you put the juice to it...

I trust your evaluation seeing you have both! I have met quite a few that do not REV the RSV to full potential,if they do that it is no contest..Granted these are touring bikes but they do run if you put the juice to it...

Bottom Line....

If you want to get caught up in the HD have to have it thing then buy it. The extra $$$ does not compensate the bike. I've had VTX's and wanted something more touring and bought an 07RSV. I am happy with that and will have this bike for many miles.