IGNORED

Harley touring versus venture

Greyfox and I were going to my Cookeville, Tn M+E. We had stopped for gas, and a guy says to me....Is that a Harley??? I replied no, it is made by Yamaha. He said it was a great looking bike. Greyfox was parked right beside me...His bike,,A 2007 Ultra Classic.. The guy never said a thing about his bike....Of course a Ultra Classic does look cute next to a Venture...They're so tiny.....With that itty bittty motor..........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyfox and I were going to my Cookeville, Tn M+E. We had stopped for gas, and a guy says to me....Is that a Harley??? I replied no, it is made by Yamaha. He said it was a great looking bike. Greyfox was parked right beside me...His bike,,A 2007 Ultra Classic.. The guy never said a thing about his bike....Of course a Ultra Classic does look cute next to a Venture...They're so tiny.....With that itty bittty motor..........

I saw a lot of Harleys on my recent long road trip through the USA and it finally occurred to me as to why Harley Davidson motorcycles costs so much..

They actually come with a truck or a trailer option.. no wonder people spend so much money on a Harley...

That's correct, right? Because I'm sure I saw more Harleys on the back of a pickup trucks or on a trailer one weekend than actually riding on the highway..

I could be wrong.. but it would explain the price tag.. yeah.

So is it true what is being posted here that there is a personal comfort different between a water and aircooled engine? If you have a water cooled engine that is not encased would you expect it to keep the rider cooler or warmer compared to an enclosed engine (Gen 1 & 2 & GW)

Since I have a 09 Ultra I will have to say that doing your own service is a little more challanging. Not as simple as pulling one or two drain plugs, etc.

Since I've never owned a Harley but have worked on my son's Sportster 1200, I'd appreciate someone elaborating on the above statement... {why do you say it's more challenging} ??

I did his oil & filter change, changed the plugs, replaced the battery, pulled the carb off and completely apart to clean it... didn't seem any more challenging to me than anything I've done on either my 1st or 2nd gens although I've never pulled the carb(s) on either but can't imagine that being LESS challenging...LOL

Since I've never owned a Harley but have worked on my son's Sportster 1200, I'd appreciate someone elaborating on the above statement... {why do you say it's more challenging} ??

I did his oil & filter change, changed the plugs, replaced the battery, pulled the carb off and completely apart to clean it... didn't seem any more challenging to me than anything I've done on either my 1st or 2nd gens although I've never pulled the carb(s) on either but can't imagine that being LESS challenging...LOL

For me I think it is more challenging since you have more chances of leaks when pulling and reinstalling the derby cover or side check/fill plugs. (I hate oil leaks) You have 3 holes to fill/drain. More chances of stripped hex bolts, cracked o-rings, etc.

I like the simplicity of my past metrics when all I had to do was pull the drain plug, remove filter, refill and I was on my way. On the other hand my brother in-law loves doing the service on his HD. I guess each persons confort level is differenct.

Could it be he's one of those who loves wrenching more than riding? LOL

I definately wouldn't say he is a wrencher. Changing the fluids is all he will do. We all get a good laugh out of it since he gets someone to service his mower but he will do the oil change for his bike. I told him I will change his mower oil and he can change the oil on my HD!

bobbyd83

my girlfriend had more complaints about heat with my electra glide than with the venture...actually, she has no complaints with the venture....to be fair, the harley exhaust probably had more to do with the heat than the engine....but still, an air cooled engine runs hotter, a lot hotter....i noticed more heat in traffic with the harley...none with the venture