IGNORED

Venture or Tour Deluxe?

I want to buy the Venture or the tour Deluxe, and can't decide. I like the venture, but wish it had the tour deluxe seat and seat height, as it is lower. Also, I like the trunk on the venture, but wish it were sort of quick release so I could take it off for a sportier look when I didn't need it. Any thoughts from the people that have these bikes?

I want to buy the Venture or the tour Deluxe, and can't decide. I like the venture, but wish it had the tour deluxe seat and seat height, as it is lower. Also, I like the trunk on the venture, but wish it were sort of quick release so I could take it off for a sportier look when I didn't need it. Any thoughts from the people that have these bikes?

Go Deluxe, I did and then had Rick Butler from this site modify my seat, and you talk about comfortable.

Good luck either way.

I have an '06 RSTD on which will has a front and rear baron's lowering kit (dropping it 1.5"), rick butler seat mod (a little lower than stock), a windshield with 3" cut off the top, highway pegs, ISO grips, driving lights, Baron's slash cut mufflers, revised rear tail light and license plate, LEDs, garmin mount, cup holder, J&M radio, powerlet power port, etc.

There are companies out there that make the add-on boxes that go on the luggage rack and with the removable sissy bar you could do what I do and go solo when I feel like it.

In our STAR chapter we have a ton of RS, probably half RSTD and half RSV and I never feel like a red headed step child... we are all happy.

Regards,

gp

I think I want the venture because of the radio and fairing, just wish the trunk was quick detatch so I could go with the sporty look most times, then throw trunk on for longer rides. Also like the look and lower seat height better on the tour deluxe.

It's never easy... always seems to be a compromise with every bike.

Anybody have any more good points to steer me in the right direction?

My wife wanted the Ventures type of passenger seat. A backrest on a RSTD would not have done it for her. We have been on a few rides with the Star Touring group and the other passenger type wives sure liked the looks of the Ventures seat, especially after 2 or 3 hours on the road. My wife got a lot of questions on the comfort. Sounds like it is more comfortable then mine even. The trunk is very nice for commuting, helmet and gloves go there. More coverage with the fairing and built in sound were all pluses.

We planned on some traveling so it was all good. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have the simpler, lighter, cleaner RSTD but in reality I use the extras on the Venture too much. The important question for you is what, if any of these features do you see yourself using?

Jerry

Edited by AZSpyder

I have a friend who bought a RSTD..He spent lots of$$on accessories but never got it like he wanted it,then he traded for a Roadliner,spent lots of $$ on accessories but still says hes not satisfied.He rode my Venture again and he now knows what he was missing,AM/FM CB,Very little wind hitting him,and now my Zumo,it is so great now that I have it integrated into my headset. He is now going to bite the bullet and get what HE says he should have gotten in the first place. His wife is very happy he has taken this route.Bottom line is think of ALL the pros and cons and buy what you like.Tom

If you're leaning towards the RSV this deal looks tough to beat http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/844492036.html

Be a nice Fly and drive back this time of year.

What you have to ask yourself is what type of riding am i gong to do most of the time. The RSTD is lighter, so would be easier for daily driver duties, commuting, etc. If Touring is your thing, from what I have seen you aren't adding a trunk bag to a RSTD for muck less than $500 and that's if your lucky finding everything cheap, It will most likely be closer to $1000 when its all said and done.

It would easier/cheaper to dress down the RSV (Fab up a quick release trunkc etc) than dress up an RSTD.

For me personally, less is more. I like the RSTD, less stuff to fix worry about. If I want to tour long distance, I'll get a back pack set up.

If you end up with an RSV, I'll swap seats with you as long as its not studded.

RSTDdog

when I first fell in love with the RSTD. Red / Black '05 I don't remember when I have liked anything more. I did like the look of the RSV front fairing and the thought of having the builtin audio seemed nice to me after trying 20 different setups for sound on my Vulcan.

Last summer, I had a line on two bikes an 05 RSTD and an 05 RSV. The RSTD eventually ended up falling through and I bought the RSV. I was happy to be off the vulcan and was pleased with the RSV, but at first I was little sad becuse I really liked the RSTD better.

Well, after a little over a year later I am glad it went the way it did. Originally, I thought the trunk and permanently attached fairing was too much, but now even if I could take them off I probably never would. If I had bought the RSTD I would have been going through all the mods trying to figure out how to add a tour pak and how to hook up audio and intercom, etc... It would have ended up more money to get what I have now.

I did see a mod for making the RSV trunk removable without a lot of trouble, and while it does look good, I find myself wondering when I would ever do it? I almost never just cruise town. Wehn I go to work it's great for my computer bag, and on a trip it would be impossible to live without.

I know not everyone is the same. Just thought I would share my experience. I hope it helps you out.

After 2 years of debating the same thing, I went with the RSTD. It is virtually the same bike, minus the rear box, fairing, audio and passenger area. It is also about $3000 less on average. What I lost in the rear box, I can make up with my luggage set up, luggage rack, and backrest. If you are going to be doing allot of long distance touring with a passenger, then the Venture might be your best bet, and worth the extra money. You really just have to decide what kind of riding you will be doing most of the time. And of course the look is important too. The RSTD easily converts to a boulevard cruiser by taking the backrest and windscreen off. Both detach and attach in less than 10 seconds, literally. If you add the luggage rack to the RSTD backrest, you can get great luggage solutions for the longest of trips. And both saddlebags can have liners as well, for weeks worth of clothing, and emergency needs. I know the struggle you are having, I was there once myself. I went with the RSTD, and have not regretted it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Once again, everyone is talking hardware....but if you think of it this way, the choice might be easier: Think about how you will use the bike.

If you ride mostly when the temps are above 60 degrees, you can be happy with either one. But if you are like me, and ride in temps down into the 20's, and sometimes less, buy the Venture. More fairing equals more comfort.

In colder weather, you will be carrying more, like vests, jackets, and chaps, and the trunk is a big plus for all the extras like scarves, gloves, goggles, liners, and long sleeved shirts. And again, that big barn door up front keeps the big nasty drafts at bay.

Winter riding is some of the best riding there is. Out in the open air, smelling woodsmoke, and seeing your breath at the stoplites...plus other riders whose bikes are at home, come up and say hello, and arent you cold?

It dont get no better.

:cool10:

I think the real question to ask here is will you be riding two up or solo?

I have owned both bikes 2005 RSTD and now a 2004 RSV...I also own a 2002 Goldwing. My RSTD I drove solo...converted it to solo...and it was by far the best riding bike I have ever owned. It was totalled when someone lost control of their vehicle and took it out. I then purchased a RSV...thinking I would then see which bike I wanted to keep, the RSV or the Goldwing. The RSV is fine...but not as nice as the RSTD when riding solo. The RSV gives me music, a bigger fairing (more protection) and a large trunk for carrying things.

If I were going to ride solo then the choice for me would be easy...the RSTD. If two up riding was in the picture...especially long distance touring...then I would definitely go with the RSV.

Good luck making your decision!!!

I had a 99 RSV for 3 years and 48,000 miles. It was a very comfortable bike. I grew tired of the fixed fairing due to the heat behind it and the lack of the openness of an unfaired bike. I traded it for an 02 Kaw Nomad. The Nomad was a great bike but was not as comfortable as the Venture for longer rides. If I were buying new I'd seriously look at the RSTD. Best of both worlds. What really upset me was that Yamaha brought our the RSTD shortly after I bought my Nomad. I could probably have bought the front end pieces to convert my RSV to a RSTD in the front for a lot less than I spent trading the bike for the Nomad. A converted RSV would be the best of both worlds in that you would have the Venture's seating and trunk but not the fairing.

I guess I'll throw my two cents in here. My question is, do you plan to ride mostly during the warmer months? The RSTD does emit some heat, but the RSV is down right steamy when the outside temps hit 85 or more.:scorched: I like the RSTD because I am not as isolated from the elements. Not knocking the RSV, it has a lot of upside, but if I want to be that sheltered, I would be just as happy in a ragtop car.

I will probably catch some flack over this. I am not wanting to put the RSV down, it is just not what I want out of a motorcycle.

What ever you decide to buy, I hope you enjoy it.:happy34:

if I want to be that sheltered, I would be just as happy in a ragtop car..:happy34:

I have a Mazda MX-5. I can say that it is defiantly NOT a replacement for a bike, even a fully faired Venture. I am not a fan of a fully faired bike though. I'd be more inclinded toward the RSTD. When my Nomad was dressed for winter with the full shield and lowers and crash bar chaps it's wind protection was equal to the Venture's, but I could take it all off.

I bought the RSTD because I didn't think I wanted the fairing, stereo, tourpack etc. Even ran 1 season that way, camped, carried a lot of stuff, had a good time. Then over Christmas break in 2006 my wife and I were in Phoenix and rented a HD Ultra for 3 days. Upshot was we both liked the fairing, stereo, tourpak etc. So, see "Ultra Star" pics attached - cost more than a Venture but I wouldn't trade it for one....:stirthepot:

I looked at both and we decided on the RSV, that being said I do really like the deluxe looks and the fact that you can take the windshield off and it doesnt have the trunk. I will say I didnt think I would use the trunk or the radio much but not that I have it I dont want to be with out it. I would like to be able to take the trunk off when its just me runing around for looks. The only down side on the RSV is she does get hot but the have vents you can get for that. Good luck with what ever you get and enjoy it.:banana:

I bought the RSTD and I completely enjoy the bike. On the down side I can't get mamma on the back as often or for as long as I'd like. I know that if I had the RSV I could get her on longer trips.

That said if you don't ride two up, or at least not very often or very far the RSTD is a great bike. For about $150.00 (list at 199.00) you can get a kuryakyn tail bag that holds more that the RSV trunk. It is not as convenient, but it is also detachable and has wheels. You can get an intercom from Autocomm or some other vendor and put it in a tank bag for your trips. That will let you expand you audio options to everything the Venture offers. You could even plug in a cassette tape player!

The RSTD windshield is a big slab of plastic. I put some aircraft style vents in mine and it really helps on these hot Texas rides.

You will need to upgrade the seat. There are plenty of options, including having the stock RSTD seat re-fitted by Rick Butler. I went with the mustang seat and it is good for all day plus some. It does work a bit better for the smaller person. The mustang pillion seat is good quality but not a much better seat than the stock one in my opinion.

So, bottom line is you can save about $3,000.00 with the RSTD and have a great bike, but you'll have to spend a few bucks to add goodies as you need them. If you have a co-pilot I recommend the RSV. The RSTD just won't keep her as happy.

Edited by Stoutman

• 6 months later...
If you end up with an RSV, I'll swap seats with you as long as its not studded.

RSTDdog

They mount differently!!!

As far as which to get, I have to mimic what others have said, for solo, RSTD,, take off the passenger seat, add a luggage rack.. I'd add a universal Givi mount and get one of their trunks...

for two up, RSV!! That is why I got mine, and I still enjoy it solo and for commuting, but I was moving from a bike that was not 2 up friendly because the wife said if I got a bike with a comfortable passenger seat she would take trips with me. So far we have done two long trips and she is enjoying it..

I bought the RSTD because I didn't think I wanted the fairing, stereo, tourpack etc. Even ran 1 season that way, camped, carried a lot of stuff, had a good time. Then over Christmas break in 2006 my wife and I were in Phoenix and rented a HD Ultra for 3 days. Upshot was we both liked the fairing, stereo, tourpak etc. So, see "Ultra Star" pics attached - cost more than a Venture but I wouldn't trade it for one....:stirthepot:

That is one nice steed!

Just bought a new RSTD. I had a previous BMW with detachable top box, which I took off the day I got it, and never used it. It also had radio and tape player which I never used. I do miss the BMW's electrically adjustable windshield, but thats about it. Otherwise am very happy with the RSTD.

That's the first one of these I've seen. Very nice.:thumbsup: