IGNORED

Replacement windshield RSV

I would like some advise on a replacement windshield "to replace my stock one on 2000 RSV" It is in excelent shape but it is high and not good in the rain,so I am asking for your opinions, eg: Clear View or JC Whitney or ? and what is it like to have a wider shield and a shorter one ? I shall wait for your response.

Thank You

mobile

Ppl are happy with both of those brand. I was also looking for one but couldn't wait to get it so I cut my stock shield down and I am very happy with the end result. I will keep my stock for a while now before I go and get a new one.

I have the clear view and love it. My friend has the JC Whitney and although it looks good I noticed stress fractures near the bottom withing months of him putting it on. Not sure if that is a common thing with them or not since that is the only one I have seen of that make.

I like the clearview it's shaped a little different and when you get above 45Mph the wind sucks the moisture off the shield.

Wayne

I just put the Jc whitney one on two weeks ago. I appreciate being able to now see over the windshield during rainy rides. Really helped coming back from Don's this weekend.

yes i've already fractured one of the mounting hole flanges on install an that wasn't even over tigtened.

But I like the look of it an suits me with my non freeway driving. For the price it was worth it for me.

Now I just have to see how much passenger buffeting it gives???

I would like some advise on a replacement windshield "to replace my stock one on 2000 RSV" It is in excelent shape but it is high and not good in the rain,so I am asking for your opinions, eg: Clear View or JC Whitney or ? and what is it like to have a wider shield and a shorter one ? I shall wait for your response.

Thank You

mobile

I have the shorter Clearview but have no experience with the JC Whitney. I believe the Clearview is better in the rain than the stock shield because of the greater rake. The water seems to shed a little better. I like the extra width for both the protection and the appearance. The shorter shield isn't that much of an issue for us as we are both "vertically challenged". Got it with the vent and the tint which is very mild but beneficial.

Cheers

Guest jakenator6

I have the Clearview on my '06. It is an excellent shield...but the top of it is exactly in the center of my eye level. I can sit taller and see over it it the rain, however. Before the Clearview I had cut my stock shield down pretty low. It was great for me, but the wife was catching a lot of rough air.

I will be getting my Clearview in a week or 2 and can't wait. I've noticed a dead spot in front of me and the vent will really help. Also, my wife experienced alot of buffeting on the trip to Don's and I really hope the new one will solve that. Never saw the JC Whitney one.

I was looking at the clear view windshields on the site it talked about a 18" windshield I do not think I could see over the 19.5 shield. Could anyone tell me if the vent closes and if you think it was worth the money. does really let enough air through to make a difference. by the way I am only 5' 8" tall that way I think the 19.5" would be to tall.

:7_6_3[1]:

Guest driscollms
I was looking at the clear view windshields on the site it talked about a 18" windshield I do not think I could see over the 19.5 shield. Could anyone tell me if the vent closes and if you think it was worth the money. does really let enough air through to make a difference. by the way I am only 5' 8" tall that way I think the 19.5" would be to tall.

I have the tall clearview with vent on my '99. I really like it. Yes, the vent lets in alot of air, very comfortable for summer riding.

I have a 99 RSV with a wide stock windshield and really like it. I've ridden my friend's bike 2004 RSV with the clearview windshield and found for my height 6'1" I tend to be looking through the curve in the windshield. After a short time I begin to get a slight headache due to the distortion of the curve. I cannot say the clearview has better wind protection than the stock for the rider, however, I have been told the passenger feels less buffetting from the clearview. As for J.C Whitney...you get what you pay for.

Smilin Jack

• 1 month later...
Guest barryt

I have a 19.5" w/vent and am also 5'8" tall. The top of the w/s is right in the line of vision. It makes you either sit lower to look through the w/s (I hate that) or stretch to look over. After a while, you become uncomfortable with this and eveything start to ache. I want to get a lower shield, if possible from Clearview because it is a good w/s, but I don't like playing giraffe with this thing. Thought about cutting it down but the way it is curved, it will probably look a little goofy. Will probably just sell this one and get something else.

Barry

I love the Clearview shields...in my opinion...they are the best you can buy. I also like the vent but I really think that the round vents that V7Goose found and Squidley has installed several for people here are a better choice. I think that the next time I get a new shield, I will order it without the vent and just install the round ones. My present shield has BOTH. :)

I have a 19.5" w/vent and am also 5'8" tall. The top of the w/s is right in the line of vision. It makes you either sit lower to look through the w/s (I hate that) or stretch to look over. After a while, you become uncomfortable with this and eveything start to ache. I want to get a lower shield, if possible from Clearview because it is a good w/s, but I don't like playing giraffe with this thing. Thought about cutting it down but the way it is curved, it will probably look a little goofy. Will probably just sell this one and get something else.

Barry

Talk to Clearview and see if they will make you a custom sized one that works better for you.

I used a JCW ShowChrome windshield for a while (no problem with cracking at all). Unfortunately, it is 4" or 5" shorter than stock, and at 6'5", that was just too short for me. I can't remember if the ShowChrome or the Yamaha short is the shorter one, but I could look it up if you need me to.

Anyway, I just went back to my stock shield and cut about 1 /12" off the top. Now it is perfect for me. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've been using the the JCW unit for a couple of years now and havn't had any cracking. Don't know if there is a difference in screens or its because I tighten the center screw first and work my way to the out side. Anyway I like the shorter wind screen in warm weather and I'm not looking through a reflection as I was with the taller windshield.

Finally, the price was right.

Guest skunk328

I went with a much shorter windshield from Cee Baileys www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/

Price was great but I'm not sure how it compares to the others listed. There were four or five different heights and ots of tints to choose from. i went with the clear. Cee Baileys are made of aircraft plastics and they also included a large bottle of cleaner with it.

Skunk328