VentureRider.Org RoadRunner Magazine  

Home Venture History Classifieds Links VRAwards VRPhotos VRChat VRStore Donate
Go Back   VentureRider.Org > Tech Talk > Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk

User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Mini Stats
Members 12,853 Entries 0
Members Entries
Threads 52,706 Reviews 0
Threads Reviews
Posts 628,124 Polls 46
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 0
Content Files
Links 64 Ads 0
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
2006 RS Tour Deluxe
kingtut has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Default best tire recommendation

With all the good reports on Venturerider about the Michelin Commander I was hyped to buy them for my '06 RSTD. NONE available anywhere I could find. Called Michelin and the tech rep said they've discontinued them in the sizes 150/80-16 (front) and 150/90B 15 (rear).

So unless someone can direct me to a source for a matched front-rear set of Commanders, I'm looking for a recommendation on the next best option. Avon Venom ?

Please and thank you.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
With all the good reports on Venturerider about the Michelin Commander I was hyped to buy them for my '06 RSTD. NONE available anywhere I could find. Called Michelin and the tech rep said they've discontinued them in the sizes 150/80-16 (front) and 150/90B 15 (rear).

So unless someone can direct me to a source for a matched front-rear set of Commanders, I'm looking for a recommendation on the next best option. Avon Venom ?

Please and thank you.
Avon Venom or Dunlop E3's.... I'm running the E3's on the 99 and no complaints.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
2008 RSTD
RandyR has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

I'm running Avon Venoms on my RSTD and Metzler 880's on my RSV. They both handle well for me.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
2006 RS Tour Deluxe
kingtut has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Avon Venoms seem to pop up a lot. Anybody have a distinct preference for anything else . . . and why? Thanks to those of you who have responded.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
'02 RSMV '79 FLH '86 VR
Squidley has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Avon Venoms...stick like glue, get decent mileage out of them, are quiet and good in the rain. Sorry but my distinct preference is for the Avon
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Admin/Mod - 2005 RSV
V7Goose has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Cool Not Gonna Type it All Again

See about 10,000 existing threads on this exact topic, including several just in the past week or so.
Goose

Iron Horses in the stable: 05 RSV QuickSilver, 79 Guzzi G5 LAPD, 75 Guzzi Eldorado Police, 73 Guzzi Ambassador/hack
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
2009 RSV, 1999 VMAX
Kirby has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Aww, c'mon Goose, ELABORATE!!!!!
PGR Member
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM
2006 Midnight Venture

Default Metzler 880

I just put about 2500 miles on a new Metzler 880 Rear and am very pleased. I ran Metzlers on my Goldwing and liked em.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
2001 RSV
LilBeaver has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

I burned through a set of Venoms and am working on E3s now. Oddly enough I've had problems with both. The E3 was an issue with the dingus that installed it, so that doesn't really count. The issues with the Venoms were the sidewall cracking (1st set) and tread separation (2nd set) that others have mentioned. Because of my experience with the Venoms I am done with Avon for a while.

I'm not enough of a gambler to try the Meltzers though. Good luck to those of you that are running them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distancerider View Post
I just put about 2500 miles on a new Metzler 880 Rear and am very pleased. I ran Metzlers on my Goldwing and liked em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyR View Post
I'm running Avon Venoms on my RSTD and Metzler 880's on my RSV. They both handle well for me.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Expired Membership
V-4 Vendetta has a Profile Picture

Quote:

Please and thank you.
I just found out the Michelin's had been discontinued as well. And just when I needed a new back tire after over 13,000 trouble-free miles on my existing Commander too! My buddy has more than 15,000 on his Avon's and still going so I'm waiting on mine to come in this week.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 AM
2008 RSTD
hunter 1500 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:

Please and thank you.
They are coming out with a Comander II and depleted their stock in the Comander's is what I was told. Had to put a Dunlop E3 on the front.

Two roads diverged in a yellow woods and I chose the one less traveled by.
Robert Frost
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Expired Membership
Larry M has a Profile Picture

Default Best tier recomendation

Ok, I know there has been a big bunch of thoughts on TIRES, so, my question is, I've got a V Star 1100 Silverado that I've put Metzler 880 WWW 130X90X16 on the front and 170X90X15 on the rear, I would like to know if anyone has used that combination on their RSV? I'm told at the local dealer that the 170 would fit on the rear! It seams to be about 5/8" wider than the 150X90X15 that's on it. I want to put WWW tires on my RSV but am having trouble finding a fit in a good tire, I've got Avon's on it now and am about due for a new set of tires. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and experance's.

Larry M
Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM
06 Royal Star Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 1500 View Post
They are coming out with a Comander II and depleted their stock in the Comander's is what I was told. Had to put a Dunlop E3 on the front.

I am in the same circumstance. I am trying to decide which size E3s to put on the front. The OEM size E3s 150/80 16 or the slightly smaller MT90B16. Which one did you decide on and why?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
2008 RSTD
hunter 1500 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinto View Post
I am in the same circumstance. I am trying to decide which size E3s to put on the front. The OEM size E3s 150/80 16 or the slightly smaller MT90B16. Which one did you decide on and why?
I went with the 150/80 16. Just got back from a trip to WV and found the tire works very well with the comander on the rear. Don't usually like to mix them but it works. Road the twisties down there hard too. They gave me the same price as the Michelin because he couldn't get it and I had to miss a day off of riding.

Two roads diverged in a yellow woods and I chose the one less traveled by.
Robert Frost
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Expired Membership

Smile Best tire recommendation.

I recently went thru the same thing on tires and I wanted to try the michelin commanders. I did some sizing study and this is what I am trying at this time. I purchased a commander 140/90Bx15 for the rear, and a commander MT90Bx16 for the front. The rear is very slightly narrower and the front is approx. 3/4" narrower. Some of the newer bikes are running these sizes. The ride is very good, and I am pleased with the difference at this point. Overall the bike is about 1/2" lower to the ground.I did this on a 2001 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I am a tire and wheel man, so I didn't mind doing some experimenting. By the way, The MT90B is same as 130/90Bx16. I purchased them thru Motorcycle superstore, free shipping and no tax. Rear tire was $107.99 and front tire $87.99. Good luck on your purchase, and just wanted to give you something to think about as a possibility. I am a newbee to this site, just joined, but have been riding for many years. This is my 4th Yamaha- GREAT BIKES! Jim in Knoxville,TN.