used to run dunlops and had pretty good results, 2 up with trailer would get 8 to 10,000 mi. average.

Now on the Venture it came with dunlops and got approx. 10,000 mi., 2 up no trailer.

Second set I went with Metzlers. Put almost 14,000 mi. riding 2 up. For safety I'm having a new set mounted and installed this weekend, even though these tires look like there may be a couple of thousand miles left on them.

But like most tires my experience has taught me that as the tire gets to the wear indicators, the rubber wears fast and so that's when I get new tires.

I know Metzlers are not popular with a lot of people but comparing them, to the many different brands I used over 40 yrs. of riding touring bikes 2 up, I have to say I'm impressed..... at least for now.

ME880 150/90HB 15 rear

ME880 150/80H 16 front

I have ran several sets of ME880 on my 05 RSTD and have been happy EXCEPT for the previous rear tire which "chunked". This was un nerving at best....the internet is full of articles about chunking ME880s that are made in Brazil...I am not sure if you can special order German made ME880s from NA dealers or not.

I have been using the metzler 880

19,000 miles on this tire and I pull a trailer

The shop said they recommended a better Metzler

The tire looks a bit wider its in the shop being put on today

along with a rear shock replacement

I will know after the weekend if I like it

Should ride real nice now

:fingers crossed::smile11:

• 3 months later...

After reading all the posts and talking with some locals, I ended up putting Avon Venoms on both front and rear. Haven't had a chance for a sizable cross-country ride yet, but the hundred miles here and there that I've done has me smiling. Very nice handling on my '06 RSTD . . . we'll see how many miles I get out of them.

• 3 months later...
With all the good reports on Venturerider about the Michelin Commander I was hyped to buy them for my '06 RSTD. NONE available anywhere I could find. Called Michelin and the tech rep said they've discontinued them in the sizes 150/80-16 (front) and 150/90B 15 (rear).

So unless someone can direct me to a source for a matched front-rear set of Commanders, I'm looking for a recommendation on the next best option. Avon Venom ?

Please and thank you.

Got my 1st set of avons like them but had Bad side wall cracking, they replace them with 4508s & 4000 miles More side wall cracking ( Bad over 200 cracks some 1" long & most 1/4 " long & deep. i am going to E- 3 Dunlop psi F- 38 B- 42

Avon Venoms seem to pop up a lot. Anybody have a distinct preference for anything else . . . and why? Thanks to those of you who have responded.

I on my 2nd set on Avons But i got side wall cracking ( BAD ) year 4508 on 2nd set / 1st set 3205 2nd set cracking the worse 60 to 80 cracks on one side. Back tire the worse

Thinking about E- 3

E3's! Read all the post on Avon sidewall cracking. Until they figure out why so many are cracking I'm sold on E3's. 14000 on front and rear and still going. Oh E3's are not the greatest on Tar snakes though.

my 4508 crack real bad Avons 2nd set Tire Rep coming to town March, 24th i got a new set the 1st time i think i will try to get e- 3 two sets of avons & Bad Side wall cracking.

See this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22152&highlight=pirelli

In a nutshell, the Pirelli Route 66 tires are just average. They are cheaper than most, but they do not last as long as Venoms or E3s. The cheaper price is eaten up in more frequent tire changes, and you still sacrifice the better handling you would get with Venoms or E3s.

Goose

Hey Goose 1st set on Avons 3205 side wall cracking Bad 2nd Set 5000 miles Side wall cracking Worse ) Tire Rep coming two town to look at them 2nd set 4508 Crack all over the tires Back tire the worse psi F-38 B- 42 E- e Next " HUH "

I ran Michelin Commanders and was pleased with them. I heard a lot of good things about the Venoms so decided to give them a try. They are on my bike now but I am seeing the cracked sidewalls. I will be replacing them soon. I hear that Michelin is coming out with a Commander II.....but not likely before I have to replace the Avons. I will NOT be installing another set of Avons at this point so that pretty much leaves me with the E3s. I will give them a try this time.

i am having trouble with Avons Cracking Last Two sets ( WHY ) What psi did you run where did you buy them Did you call avon tires & raise hell ? I did

I burned through a set of Venoms and am working on E3s now. Oddly enough I've had problems with both. The E3 was an issue with the dingus that installed it, so that doesn't really count. The issues with the Venoms were the sidewall cracking (1st set) and tread separation (2nd set) that others have mentioned. Because of my experience with the Venoms I am done with Avon for a while.

I'm not enough of a gambler to try the Meltzers though. Good luck to those of you that are running them.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif