IGNORED

Fixing the speedo

ReinyRooster

The Speedo-healer is a double edge sword, fix the speedometer error and it introduces odometer error as they are related systems.  I am currently running one since I'm darkside on a smaller diameter rear tire.  When I switch back to a MC tire I'll end up taking it back out and live with the 3-5mph inaccuracy of the speedo.

Bratman is correct but the ratio it's off is not the same.  If your speedo is about 8% off, if you add the speedo healer the odometer might be about 3% off.  Personally, I preferred the speedo to be correct.  Everybody is different.  There used to be two on the market. One was the speedo-healer but I can't remember what the other one was.  I've used the both and they both worked great but one was considerably cheaper.

55 minutes ago, BratmanXj said:

The Speedo-healer is a double edge sword, fix the speedometer error and it introduces odometer error as they are related systems.  I am currently running one since I'm darkside on a smaller diameter rear tire.  When I switch back to a MC tire I'll end up taking it back out and live with the 3-5mph inaccuracy of the speedo.

Normally I would be inclined to disagree. The speedometer and odometer use the same signal produced by the speed sensor which measures the wheels revolutions per mile or kilometer then this signal is translated into miles or Km per hour by the speedometer  and total miles or km coverd by the odometer of the rolling wheel. A smaller tire will have more revolutions per mi/km and a larger one will have fewer revolutions per mi/km. So by putting a smaller dia tire or wheel on the bike the speedometer will make it appear the bike is going faster than it actually is and the odometer will make it appear the bike is covering more mi/ km than it really is and the reverse is true if using a bigger dia tire since it will have fewer revolutions per mile. Since both speedometer and odometer utilize the same signal if one is out so is the other. If one is corrected so is the other.

The only discrepancy to this is if the needle itself on the speedometer is out of calibration while the odometer is within or closer calibrated. In that case than yes the healer would become a double edged sword. I would love to see the cluster of a second generation  since I have to wonder if there is a calibration adjustment on the speedo head since many electronic speedo heads do have one.

On the 1st generation you can correct the speedo by very carefully bending the needles return springs anchoring tab and increasing or decreasing spring tension until you have achieved accurate speedometer readings.

Edited by saddlebum

I use the SpeedoDRD. Works great and cheaper then the healer. I never checked the ODO accuracy before or after install, I plan to absolutely wear this bike out anyway. When it gets to the point of needing replacement the miles on me will be more important than the miles on the bike. 

To @saddlebum response, I agree that its not a cut and dry philosophy, every brand/model of tire has a slightly different tire diameter and introduce another variable in the Speedo/Odo relationship.

I used a SpeedoRDR just like @RDawson,  Installed the current smaller diameter darkside tire and compared stock speedo to my Zumo660 tracked speed on a 60 mile run.  Did the calcs provided in the instructions for like a 12% adjustment.  My speedo is dead on, but I've never compared the final result on the Odo since I'm over 80k miles anyways that it didn't mater for value of the bike.

• 3 months later...

I am interested in getting a SpeedoDRD for my 2001 Royal Star Venture. My concern is where does the device plug in, where is the location of the connector? Does the device come with instructions on the connector location?

6 hours ago, lyleh said:

I am interested in getting a SpeedoDRD for my 2001 Royal Star Venture. My concern is where does the device plug in, where is the location of the connector? Does the device come with instructions on the connector location?

The connector is behind the left side cover under the seat. I don't remember if it came with Make/Model specific instructions or not.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 1