IGNORED

Brand new bike, rusty gas tank?

Sunman

I need some feedback here. As some of you may know, I recently purchased a brand new '06 RSTD. This bike had 0 KM on it, and has the full 5 year warranty. I bought it on Thurs, and took delivery yesterday. During the dealer walk around, one of the things he showed me was the gas cap, and how to take it off etc. (Bike has no owners manual, it is ordered and coming) Anyways, when he took off the gas cap, I noticed quite a bit of rust in the filler neck, and upon further inspection, there are spots of rust on the piece INSIDE the tank as well. I commented on this, but the dealer said it was ok, not to worry it was bare metal, almost all of them have rust etc. I don't know if it was the anticipation of the first ride or a temporary brain fart, but I did not question it further. I have put about 170 KM on it so far, and looked inside the tank again, and it is bothering me more. I took some pics, and will post here later. Any first impressions? Should a new bike have any rust? What is he talking about it being "bare metal" This is my first new bike, and first Yamaha. What kind of complications could a rusty tank cause me? Any help would be appreciated.

Sonny

Sonny

You'll eventually have trouble with the rust clogging the carbs and filters. If no recourse from the dealer then you do have a solution. There are aftermarket products out that will clean the tank out as well as coat it to prevent rust from coming back.

Larry

If the bike had been sitting for 2 years with an empty tank in a hot cold atmosphere it probably will develop rust on the tank walls. The tank 'breathes' during temp changes and will draw in hot humid air when it cools down for the night which collects on the walls and creates rust spots. The next day it heats up and the air will expel leaving the condensation. The next night the whole cycle starts all over again. Not all water in a tank comes from wet fuel. A bigger problem occurs when the tank is full, and the heavier water settles to the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the tank corrodes. Rust particals on the walls will sluff off and if enough gets in the bottom of the tank it can plug filters and even plug carb jets. I ask the dealer to inspect the tank, and if there is a significant amount of rust present to replace the tank under warranty, or his cost if Yamaha won't warranty the problem.

If the bike had been sitting for 2 years with an empty tank in a hot cold atmosphere it probably will develop rust on the tank walls.

Yep....what he said...

and use those pic for documentation of the rust..:thumbsup2:

I would write the date on the pics right in front of the dealer himself..

I bought my 2006 RSV in April of last year and it had a bunch of rust in the tank from sitting with a partial tank of gas. I told them I wanted the tank replaced before I took the bike. Yamaha replaced the tank and I have not had any trouble, I have run quite a bit of sea foam to make sure any crud was cut out of the carburators.

Thanks for the input. It is what I thought you might all say. Well, first thing in the morning, I am taking it back to the dealer, and I will try to get a new tank, or I will call Yamaha, and complain. Here are some pics so you can see better what I am talking about. The rest of the bike is awesome. It runs great, strong and nimble. The steering is very responsive, almost too much but I will get used to it. Thanks for the help.

Sonny

Oh and by the way, does anyone have a number (from Canada) for Yamaha directly? So if the dealer will not warranty it, or blows it off, I can go above?

That is some pretty serious rust on a tank that new. Since you bought a new bike, it should have a new tank. If you had wanted a bike with a rusty tank you would have bought an old rusty bike. The dealer should step up and make sure Yamaha replaces it. It just depends on how much service he wants to give you.

When I bought my 04 the tank had a chip in the paint. They replaced the tank with a new one and gave me the old one. I'm using it now since I dented up the other one in the accident.:whistling:

That is some pretty serious rust on a tank that new. Since you bought a new bike, it should have a new tank. If you had wanted a bike with a rusty tank you would have bought an old rusty bike. The dealer should step up and make sure Yamaha replaces it. It just depends on how much service he wants to give you.

When I bought my 04 the tank had a chip in the paint. They replaced the tank with a new one and gave me the old one. I'm using it now since I dented up the other one in the accident.:whistling:

I totally agree with you. I went to the dealer today, to just go over a couple of things, the biggest was the rust. He took pictures, and said he would contact yamaha, and see what they would do. I explained that the bike was sold to me as "brand new" not used, and since the rust was not part of the design of the bike, it should be under warranty. He seemed to agree, but just has to go through the formality of getting a warranty claim number or something. So I will keep you all posted, thanks for the help.

Sonny

Good thing for the warranty. I know the perfect way to clean the surface rust from the tank but I'd make Yamaha do it.

There are aftermarket products out that will clean the tank out as well as coat it to prevent rust from coming back.

Larry

Would either of you care to elaborate on what these products or methods are?

Thanks

I totally agree with you. I went to the dealer today, to just go over a couple of things, the biggest was the rust. He took pictures, and said he would contact yamaha, and see what they would do. I explained that the bike was sold to me as "brand new" not used, and since the rust was not part of the design of the bike, it should be under warranty. He seemed to agree, but just has to go through the formality of getting a warranty claim number or something. So I will keep you all posted, thanks for the help.

Sonny

He should have told you that in the begining instead of learning about it here.....

I just got off the phone with Kelly Cycle Centre in Hamilton. They are the dealer that sold me the bike. I am happy to tell you, that they went to Yamaha, and are going to replace my gas tank. The tank is on order, and should be here in 2-3 weeks. All costs are being covered by Yamaha. And on top of that, due to the possibility of problems due to the rust, they are going to take apart my carbs and look for any signs of rust caused issues, and if needed strip down and take apart all associated parts and clean them. I have filled the gas tank 2 times so far, so I am not sure how much rust has passed through the system. I am very pleased to say that Kelly's came through, and took care of this problem for me. Cheers to them. Any Hamilton area riders who are looking for a decent shop, Kelly's has met my expectations so far. Tell them Sonny sent ya.

Cheers!

Sonny

Would either of you care to elaborate on what these products or methods are?

Thanks

Here's a few links on products for you. Some are motorcycle specific as well.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm?gclid=CPf1hMOv_pICFQIgPAodIAz10A

http://www.kanter.com/fueltank.html

Basic gas tank sealer search from Google - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLL,GGLL:2007-50,GGLL:en&q=gas+tank+sealer

Larry