IGNORED

Electronics charging question

I have a bit of a minor quandary here. Hopefully someone else has had and solved this issue. Please bear with me as I try to go through the iterations... heh

With my phone plugged into the OEM charging socket in the fairing, my S7 will recognize the charge, show that it's charging, but will slowly discharge over the course of the ride; maybe 10-15% an hour or so. Using the same plug and cord in the car, running all the same aps, the phone will charge. Then I downloaded an app called "ampere" that measures real time charging rates. The bike and the car both show positive charging rates - and at times the bike is higher then the car .... generally somewhere between +390-590mA. I use hi output plugs - 2.2-2.4a, nice and tight Schoshe one... that works perfectly in the car.

My question is: Has anyone experienced this slow discharge on the bike, and how did you correct it?

Is it possible that the vibration is causing enough of an intermittent connection (breaking multiple times a second???) that the overall effect is negative? I am realizing that I need to go for a ride with the charging app running... I'll try to do that and repost this afternoon.

I cant be the only person this has happened to... can I ???

TIA

Very interesting question Mad Dog, and i wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I just wanted to mention that if you have the phone plugged into a charger, BUT the charger is disconnected from a power source, the charger can and will slowly discharge your phone battery depending on the charger. Soooo, maybe your theory of an intermittent connection has some merit! Or, maybe you blew the 5 amp accessory fuse and don't know it...

I have a bit of a minor quandary here. Hopefully someone else has had and solved this issue. Please bear with me as I try to go through the iterations... heh

With my phone plugged into the OEM charging socket in the fairing, my S7 will recognize the charge, show that it's charging, but will slowly discharge over the course of the ride; maybe 10-15% an hour or so. Using the same plug and cord in the car, running all the same aps, the phone will charge. Then I downloaded an app called "ampere" that measures real time charging rates. The bike and the car both show positive charging rates - and at times the bike is higher then the car .... generally somewhere between +390-590mA. I use hi output plugs - 2.2-2.4a, nice and tight Schoshe one... that works perfectly in the car.

My question is: Has anyone experienced this slow discharge on the bike, and how did you correct it?

Is it possible that the vibration is causing enough of an intermittent connection (breaking multiple times a second???) that the overall effect is negative? I am realizing that I need to go for a ride with the charging app running... I'll try to do that and repost this afternoon.

I cant be the only person this has happened to... can I ???

TIA

I will say when I have both Rhapsody Playing streaming music and I am running my Gps that I have a slight discharge if you know how to get in your processes I would check there and see what is draining the battery.

I just had an issue with my phone cord it would charge in some car 12v outlets but would intermittently charge plugged into my bike. Purchased a new Samsung charger now I can play music and run phone GPS through my sena headsets and actually gain battery charge on my trips.

WIZ

I thought the plug was vibrating out of the socket causing my GPS to die as well. Ran fin in the car. Turns out the charging cable was bad and would lose connection with all the vibration on the bike, but would work fine in the car. Replaced the cable and now no more problems with maintaining a constant charge when on the bike.

**** UPDATE ****

Thanks for all the input, but if anything I guess I'll try a new cord. I went for a three hour ride with the "Ampere" app running and didn't see any negative rates at all... but the phone discharged by +30%. Checked background apps, ans no surprises there... just what I had running. I'll check back in when I get a new cord.

Thanks

**** UPDATE ****

Thanks for all the input, but if anything I guess I'll try a new cord. I went for a three hour ride with the "Ampere" app running and didn't see any negative rates at all... but the phone discharged by +30%. Checked background apps, ans no surprises there... just what I had running. I'll check back in when I get a new cord.

Thanks

Just a thought... Are you using one of those accessory power plugs made to connect to a USB cord? You may not be getting enough voltage to the accessory plug?? Your app may reading the mamps but at a low voltage it may not be enough. I'd check the voltage at the accessory plug.

Here is a couple observations I had with my RSV. One of my phones (LG) was picky as heck on 12v chargers. My old Galaxy s2 or 3 (I forget) not so much. Most aftermarket even the cheapo Big Lots ones worked fine with it. My new S7 seems to be the same way. So you may want to make sure its a "name brand" charger. The USB scoche cig adapter and USB micro cord didnt seem to be such a hot set up neither, the USB side would walk out. Also my plug on the RSV was constantly getting a fine corrosion on the outer part (ground) the plug contacts. I would use some scotch brite and then a little dielectric grease. But still every 3-4 weeks at times I would have to clean it up.

An unlikely culprit could be that there is too much AC voltage from the alternator not filtered out by the rectifiers still present in the bikes DC electrical system. I would be curious if you left the 'slightly' discharged phone hooked up to the acc outlet with the bike electric on but NOT running for an hour, using just the bike battery with no effect from that alternator. I would expect your phone to show some charge then.

Another angle to look at.

Check your bikes voltage across the battery with everything turned on that is normally turned on for a ride to be sure that the bike charging system is up to snuff. It could be possible to loose one diode in the rectifier and that could cause the excess AC ripple on the line. This could manifest as a slightly low charging voltage under load.

Another trick is to set your meter for AC volts and check across the battery with the bike turned off The meter should say zero. If the meter reads zero then you can do the next test. Some meters will read the voltage wether it is AC or DC, some wont. Now start the bike If there is AC coming thru the meter will see it.