IGNORED

Removing a Broken Key

Ok, so I had a bad day......On Saturday I went to visit my son at college in Madison, did a little tailgating before the game (I don't drink) and left just after the game got started....that was the good part. On the way home I decided to make a quick stop at Harbor Freight, I really didn't need anything, just figured I'd look around. I put my helmet in the trunk and walked in....didn't find anything I wanted and left the store. Got out to my bike and proceeded to open my trunk and retrieve my helmet....just as I flipped the trunk lid open, the bike began to tip slowly to the right....then things just sort of went into slow motion as I moved around my bike and sort of guided the beast to the ground. Looking around in obvious embarrassment, it didn't seem as if anyone saw me drop my bike....so I lift the bike as directed by the fine fellows on this site...so my dignity is still intact....but, now I can't find my key anywhere??? As I search the area, I see my key fob with the broken remnant of my key....GREAT! My key broke off in my trunk, I'm an hour from home and my wife is in Chicago! As I look in the trunk cylinder I can see the remainder of my key....I run back into HF and purchase the smallest needle-nose pliers they have and fish out the broken key. No harm, no foul, right? But I still have to get home and I don't have a key....the bulb goes off in my head, put the broken key in the ignition cylinder and turn in ignition with a flat blade screwdriver.....Great! That works and I'm able to ride home and shut things down with said screwdriver.....

Well, here's my dilemma, the broken portion of the key is much deeper in the cylinder and I can't gain any purchase with even the thinnest tweezers....

Does anybody have any ideas? I've removed and cleaned ignition switches before and I guess that can be my last resort....

Any help will be most appreciated!

Pat

Maybe remove the ignition switch and with a good whack upside down on a piece of wood the key will move far enough to get a hold of it.

I keep a spare key hidden on the bike for if/when I lose my key ring while away from home. Just don't hide it where you need the key to get to it.....:whistling:

I also replace the tie wrap that holds the spare key in place every spring with a new black tie.

I haven't tried this but have heard of straightening a fishing hook and pushing in along the key. The barb tends to grab into the key and pull it out.

I suppose the risk is you end up with a fish hook in there with your key......

Odd things like this seem to happen to me too. I figure Mr. Murphy's Law follows me around.

This is a good reason to carry a spare key, with my past motorcycles I have always had a key somewhere I could get to encase I lost my key.

When I bought my Venture it come with only one key. Before something like this happens to me where do I get another key at. I do not have a Yamaha dealer in my town

Odd things like this seem to happen to me too. I figure Mr. Murphy's Law follows me around.

This is a good reason to carry a spare key, with my past motorcycles I have always had a key somewhere I could get to encase I lost my key.

When I bought my Venture it come with only one key. Before something like this happens to me where do I get another key at. I do not have a Yamaha dealer in my town

My local ACE Hardware had the Yamaha key blanks in stock.

I also keep a spare key and $200.00 stashed on the bike for the "just in case".

Gorilla quick epoxy and a couple welding rods. Just a touch on the end of a couple rods push it in onto the key and wait a couple hours. Pull very slow. Just take warning too much epoxy and....... I have pulled this off many times on broken keys but again be warned I did put too much on one time and glues the key in.

Go back inside Harbor and purchase one of their cheapy jeweler screw driver kits, go back outside and use the backside of your 16 inch Channel Locks and carefully beat the one of the screw driver blades against a rock into flat, bendable piece just a little less in width than the remaining key thickness. Repeat with another of the screw drivers.. If you do not happen to have a pair of 16 inch Channel Locks, it can be done with two rocks but they need to be fairly smooth..

Now bend the flattened surface of the blades at about a 15 degree angle.. Slide the blades one at a time carefully into the lock while feeling for the outer edge of the key where the tumbler notches are cut.. When you feel the key find the slot, gently push down until you feel resistance.. Do the same with other blade. Now move the handles of the screw drivers carefully toward the outside of the lock and gently lift up..

So far, I have just pulled the bike in the garage and thrown a cover over it. It seems I picked up a large hunk of metal in my rear tire at some point (I had been riding using the screwdriver method)... Will most likely try the fish hook or jewelers screwdriver......I just don't feel comfortable using any sort of glue or epoxy inside the lock cylinder. Like I said earlier, if worst comes to worst, I'll just pull the cylinder and dismantle it.

you guys are the best, I appreciate all the input!

JP-5-XL.jpg

This, my friend is a "Key Extractor". It is what a locksmith would use to remove the key. The fishhook suggestion above would likely work. You might heat up a fish hook and straighten it out. One of the stainless steel ones might straighten easier. Use a fair sized one and pair of hemostats or needle-nose. Note the distance across the barbed area of the shaft is about 1/16 and the barb is about 1/8 long.

You simply slide it in on the pin side of the key slot, give it a bit of a twist so as to grasp the key on one of the points and gently pull.

• 4 months later...

Bringing this old thread out of the bullpen.....

So I ordered a broken key extractor kit from China, took like 2 1/2 months to arrive......it took me all of about ten seconds to shove this bristled piece of wire in next to my broken key and just pull it out....easy peasy...cost with shipping....$1.97!

Worked for me!

Bringing this old thread out of the bullpen.....

So I ordered a broken key extractor kit from China, took like 2 1/2 months to arrive......it took me all of about ten seconds to shove this bristled piece of wire in next to my broken key and just pull it out....easy peasy...cost with shipping....$1.97!

Worked for me!

... works as advertised!

Yamagrl FTW. There are times to get the professionals involved. Ride over to your local locksmith and have them extract it. Then have them make a replacement / duplicate. Win-Win.

FYI - I have had mixed results with ACE/TrueValue keys for motorcycles. Some work, some don't. Never had a locksmith made key not work perfectly. There is a reason they get paid like the professionals they are.

RR

I keep a spare key hidden on the bike for if/when I lose my key ring while away from home. Just don't hide it where you need the key to get to it.....:whistling:
I keep a spare key in my wallet and in case I lose the wallet as well, a spare is also kept in my riding jacket. If I manage to lose all three keys I probably don't deserve to go home.