IGNORED

Calling all 2 Gen Tech

I give up after 3 wks of fighting this. So asking for help. Rode to wal-mart came out hit the starter button ,tack was jumping around lights on instrument cluster went dead. 2 nice men push started the bike got home and it has sat scents. Charge the battery , clean all ground connection. This is were it gets weird. I put the key in and 5-10 sec later the lights on cluster slowly come on how the battery is showing 12.5-12.7 on meter. I hear clicking on starter. I can turn the key off then turn it back on and it will show nothing touch the starter button and the lights come on. Turn it off back on and lights on cluster the tail lights on but NO headlight. Tried when the cluster is lit to jump from battery + to starter + and lights on cluster go out. Tried jumping across starter relay nothing. I don't know many people down here don't have a trailier.......HELP!

My bike is a 87 Royal

The other thing is if its an 87 royal this is in the wrong place for educated help. I stopped to look because it said "2nd gen" But electrics to start with is basic same ole stuff.

If you are shorting across the starter solenoid and get nothing, you do not have enough voltage available at the component. So either power wire connections or ground all the way thru. IE: at the motor, at the block at the battery at the solenoid etc

Sounds like a bad ground to me too. Over on the right front vertical, a little bit above the starter motor and water pump, you'll see a ground strap attached to the tube. Check for corrosion. Clean the surfaces and put a little dielectric grease on it and re-fasten. That's the one that seems to get corroded first due to exposure.....

Another major ground point on the FIRST GENERATION VENTURE (1983-1993) is on the left side of the coil rack. Not easy to get to, unless you remove the left main fairing and the left inner fairing. The ground point is for all electrical other than the battery ground.

Chassis Ground at coil rack (Large).jpg

Having a similar issue in the past I would pull the ignition switch clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and reassemble. Test to see if that fixed the issue if so I would do the relay install to take the load off the ignition switch and apply it to the 30 amp relay. Another quick check is pull the 2 wire connection to the ignition switch and wire a switch across the 2 contacts coming from the bike not the 2 going to the switch turn on the ignition switch than the jumper switch if all works well it is the ignition switch that needs to be cleaned.

Having a similar issue in the past I would pull the ignition switch clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and reassemble. Test to see if that fixed the issue if so I would do the relay install to take the load off the ignition switch and apply it to the 30 amp relay. Another quick check is pull the 2 wire connection to the ignition switch and wire a switch across the 2 contacts coming from the bike not the 2 going to the switch turn on the ignition switch than the jumper switch if all works well it is the ignition switch that needs to be cleaned.

Look again, OP is talking 87 era bike. So wired way different than 2nd gens. I have only had like 2 guys with the early stars tell me of bad switches. The ones located down by thier leg I guess. One I figured the problem out pretty quick, to many keys hanging off key ring. He had 3 car keys, shed key and 2 house key on the ring for the bike. Weight kills these little locks.

Look again, OP is talking 87 era bike. So wired way different than 2nd gens. I have only had like 2 guys with the early stars tell me of bad switches. The ones located down by thier leg I guess. One I figured the problem out pretty quick, to many keys hanging off key ring. He had 3 car keys, shed key and 2 house key on the ring for the bike. Weight kills these little locks.

My fault for not reading the whole thing and for going by the title of the post.....

PGunn, no problem. Just wanted to clear up. Not saying it cant happen to them. I dont know a whole lot about them, just what a friend or two thats had them tells me their system is wired different. To much weight on the switches IE: keys will kill any switch, even your cage. So all the troll, happy face and soccer ball medallions have to go. LOL

No problem and it should have been pointed out that 1) read all the way through before you respond also if I remember right there are 2 versions of the first gen out there so the title could be misleading also.....

Yup. And I dunno if the 1st gen Venture shares components with the first couple years of Royal Stars (tour classics I think they were) or not. The 05 and later Tour Deluxe are very similar.