IGNORED

Rear shock

Just noticed my rear shock is starting to leak. This morning it looks like 3-4 drops of oil under the shock. Looked up the "THE WORKS PERFORMANCE" replacement and it's priced at $919.00! Does that sound right? Checked on a Hagon and it's under $500.00. Bike has around 67,000 miles. I want to ride about 350 miles tomorrow so I was wondering if anyone has ridden that far after they discover the shock leaking? BTW it is holding air.:confused24:

on my way home from pork in the pines last year i discovered mine leaking in Minneapolis and rode home about 300 miles with no issues. if i had had a choice i would not have done so for safety sake. i did put a standard hagon on but did not ride again till it was replaced:080402gudl_prv:

Not saying it is safe or not, but I rode mine a couple thousand miles before replacing it. Mine probably had no fluid left, but would hold air for several days before going dry on air again. It felt a tad more squirrely than it did before it started leaking, but I didn't feel like it kept me from riding. I replaced with a HD Hagon and that changed the ride completely

I was over at my sons the other day and noticed a spot on the carport under the shock. Got on my hands and knees and could see the bottom of the shock was wet and a drop was fix'n to fall. Drove home and the next morning a few drops had puddled under the shock.

Well made my trip yesterday and the bike ran flawlessly. Was a bit nipplely in a tee shirt when I took off at 8:30 but by the time the afternoon rolled around it was in the 80's with low humidity. Great ride but my ears got sun burnt. Gonna order a Hagon today or tomorrow. Now I gotta find that thread abound changing the shock. :Venture:

I was over at my sons the other day and noticed a spot on the carport under the shock. Got on my hands and knees and could see the bottom of the shock was wet and a drop was fix'n to fall. Drove home and the next morning a few drops had puddled under the shock.

Well made my trip yesterday and the bike ran flawlessly. Was a bit nipplely in a tee shirt when I took off at 8:30 but by the time the afternoon rolled around it was in the 80's with low humidity. Great ride but my ears got sun burnt. Gonna order a Hagon today or tomorrow. Now I gotta find that thread abound changing the shock. :Venture:

Before you order a hagon shock may I propose something? I ordered an OEM shock from a VR member off an '08. Has low miles. In fact it is STILL in the box it was mailed at. If you're interested, I can sell you this one and save a few sheckles in this economy. I do not need it as I previously sold my RSV for a wing. PM me and Let me know...

Barry

Edited by Barrycuda

Before you order a baton shock may I propose something? I ordered an OEM shock from a VR member off an '08. Has low miles. In fact it is STILL in the box it was mailed at. If you're interested, I can sell you this one and save a few sheckles in this economy. I do not need it as I previously sold my RSV for a wing. PM me and Let me know...

Barry

Dang, that is a great offer.

FYI - My OEM went out during a trip down south. Road about 1000 miles home on it. During one bump, the brake caliper put a small dent in my rear fender.

Replaced with a Hagon shock over the winter. Seems to work fine.

RR

What's the best replacement shock?

I see two come up. What's one have over the other?

I believe there are 3 that can be used but I can't remember the name of the 3rd one. I'm not willing to pay $900.00 plus for the Works Performance, I don't care what it does and I won't buy a OEM shock. The 3rd one I believe is cheaper than the Hagon but is not repairable. Maybe someone can expound on this?:confused24:

I suddenly got the leaky shock and replaced it with a Hagon. It was easy to change- just remove the covers for the fuel pump and water jug, and remove the passenger footrests and chrome plates under them. You get an almost straight shot at the upper bolt, just use a wobbly and extension and it drops out. We went to the Laughlan Run and the Progressive shock rep said they made shocks for Ventures with a life time guarantee- but they did cost some serious money. :080402gudl_prv:

not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but.........

the "lifetime warranty" that any of these folks put on their products looks fantastic at first......until you find out that the lifetime only covers " the first one"

any replacements have " zero warranty"

so ya give twice the money for the chance at twice the product and find out the hard way that it's a pay attention to the words kinda program.

then there is the rebuildable sales pitch ( how much do they typically charge to rebuild your shock?? 3/4 the cost of new plus shipping???

I don't have a horse in this race and have no sales pitch for any of the mfg companies and don't care what you decide, just do your homework and read the fine print.

Mike:080402gudl_prv:

Mine leaked out over the winter.

Thanks to the wonderful members on this site, I was provided the part number for the YSS shock assembly MZ 506-255-TR. Cost $524.00 including shipping to Minnesota. These are adjustable and parts can be replaced. The guy at YSS (EPDM Performance Imports) will ask your weight, if you ride 2 up, and if you tow a trailer. Shock will come set-up.

Put the new one on three weeks ago. Have put on about 100 miles, the ride seems better, bike rides a bit higher.

Find on this site the photo's and instructions how to install it. Pretty easy, although I suggest using a good quality impact wrench on the bottom bolt. We spent 45 minute trying to get it off used a long pipe on a wrench for torque, a cheap impact, and no go. Borrowed the neighbors quality impact and zipped off in a second. For the upper bolt we needed a knuckle on the socket to straighten the angle. Did it on a bike lift and put a hydraulic jack under the bike. Made it easy to adjust hole alignment and reinstall bolts.

Good luck.

Brian

• 1 month later...

I know this is a rather old post, but........

I have an 07 I think it is retiredgolfers bike I'm doing some other work on. I had to get down but the starter relay and saw a puddle of oil Well not being a Harley I though thiis was odd. So I looked and this is what I saw.

So from you experienced fellows is one any better than the other YSS Progressive Works or Hagon? I'm sort of leaning towards the Hagon, it seems price wise they are the least and nobody has had any issues with them going out that I have read.

So what do you think? Bad shock? I have not done a bounce check, I have been working on other stuff.

Oil-on-ground-web.jpg

Leak-2-web.jpg

It's a bad shock. Mine looked just like that. Put on a Hagon shock for 2 up riding plus towing. 2 years ago. It's a great shock and was 1/2 the price of a Works shock. It's completely rebuildable. Hagon said that if it ever failed (which they doubted it would) to send it to them and they would send a new shock back to me. Said it was quicker to do that than keep mine for 2-3 weeks or so to rebuild. Hagon is a very well known Racing Suspension company in Great Britain. They seem to really know their stuff.

When I finally got around to changing my shock due to the leaking oil I could tell no difference between the new one and the leaking old one. Soooo my conclusion is just because it is leaking don't go into panic mode. I would not suggest going on a long distance trip where you might be days away from home but if your putt'en to and from work or riding locally figure out what replacement unit you want and when you want to do it.

BTW I purchased and installed the Hagon shock. It was I believe around $399.00

If you do a lot of 2 up and or pull a trailer they have one that's a little more expensive. I still have the old one if someone would like it you can have it for the shipping cost.:080402gudl_prv: