IGNORED

Ignition Switch troubles

I have a question for you all on the TD side of the house. Is your ignition switch as apt to fail you as the ones on the RSV 2nd Gen? Is the wiring harness the same so the the same by-passing of the switch with a relay works? Same 2 pin Yakaza plug?

Pretty sure switches are the same on all the 2nd gens. To be positive, check the Parts Fitch, and compare part numbers.

2nd gen switches, fail.

The old 1st gen bikes, ignition switch's do not fail. ( at least I never heard of one failing on a 1st gen ) But who knows ??

The RED, On/Off Switches do Fail on 1st gen bikes. They go high resistance, and cause a lot of problems, before it becomes obvious what is wrong.

The Bypass is not done with a relay unless your refering to the Headlight relay. The two ignition switches are definetly different. G2 has accessory and mounts differently.

The wiring should be the same but not exactly sure.

Brad

Yes Dion,

The ignition wiring on top of the neck is identical and it can be bypassed by using the same instructions for the RSV. I wired a relay into mine and then put a switch on the relay ground wire which gave me an emergency kill switch. So if the switch was off, the bike would not start regardless if the key was on.

Hope this helped,

Rick

Sorry if my question was not clear. I am looking for information relating to the Tour Deluxe and switch failures. Also if the wiring harness is the same and can be by-passed with a relay as the 2nd gen is.

Well sort of helps. I also have a discussion with some other fellows on another board going on the Tour Deluxe. It seems that Yamaha used a different type plug for the ECM on the TD. Its still a 3pin and very simular but different enough you cant use the same plug. Now the 2 pin plug I'm making works to get the strain off the ignition switch witha relay. But for a totaly "keyless" operation incase the switch goes south on you it takes a different plug than the RSV. I got to reading up and decided to look into making the relay deal a plug and ply operation to simplify things for folks. I didnt want to cut into and hack up the wiring harness so I went looking for proper type plugs to make one.

Relay-alone-VR.jpg

Well sort of helps. I also have a discussion with some other fellows on another board going on the Tour Deluxe. It seems that Yamaha used a different type plug for the ECM on the TD. Its still a 3pin and very simular but different enough you cant use the same plug. Now the 2 pin plug I'm making works to get the strain off the ignition switch witha relay. But for a totaly "keyless" operation incase the switch goes south on you it takes a different plug than the RSV. I got to reading up and decided to look into making the relay deal a plug and ply operation to simplify things for folks. I didnt want to cut into and hack up the wiring harness so I went looking for proper type plugs to make one.

This sounds like you may be making the harness & relay adapters in qty to sell? Did I understand that correctly? If so, put me on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Ignition key switches are the same, however they do have different part numbers. This is because the plug is different on the rsv vs the rstd. rstd is red in color and the rsv is white( I think) I have ran a rstd switch on a venture by changing the plastic plug(Removed wires and fitted them into the old rsv plug). There was an ignition switch in the rstd classifieds cheap, last time I looked. Hope this helps.

Bill

I should know something by Feb 3 if the ignition by-pass part of this is a plug in deal on the Tour Deluxe also. If the weather is OK Fri I am going to meet a member with a TD that has allowed me to see if this plugs in just like on the RSV. now the ECM side for a "keyless" operation back up should the switch burn up, as of now I can not get connectors to fit the TD. The RSV I can get them and have sold maybe 5 or so of them.

Dion

I would like to get one of the bypass setups that you make for the Venture.The keyless feature would be nice as a backup. When you get a chance send me the payment details. My bike will be in storage till May so no panic.

Tks

Keith

Dion

I would like to get one of the bypass setups that you make for the Venture.The keyless feature would be nice as a backup. When you get a chance send me the payment details. My bike will be in storage till May so no panic.

Tks

Keith

ME TOO !!! ME TOO !!

I didn't know they were available.

I just bought my 2nd gen (06 /Black Cherry) at the end of the season, and would like to address any problem issues before I start ridin'.

Lemme know if there's a bypass setup available.:cool10:

Okey Dokey Here is what I found out today. A really nice member primebeef and I met up today. He has a really pretty blue 08 I think it is Tour Deluxe. I took an ECM by pass harness with me and a by-pass relay. The ignition switch by-pass relay is a direct fit. Plug and play fellows, the ECM I have to build a different harness with a different connector. Which at this time is not yet available to me. So if interested e-mail me, I will do my best to get back to you.

• 9 years later...

Just bought a 2009 Yamaha Royal star venture. Rode it home with many warn out key issues trying to turn key to on position and gas cap issues. key is all beat up and im sure inside ignition switch is also. Anyway, made it home, went out next day, turned key and nothing! battery seems ok, so i believe the ignition switch has had it!

Is there anyone selling this bypass setup that an armature can hook up? I cant even find a new ignition switch on line let alone try to replace it!

Thanks

If you can take the gas tank off, you can probably install the by pass relay. But it sounds like you have switch issues with the tumblers. You mention gas cap problems, so leads me to think the key itself is the culprit. The key should have a number on it, and I think a Yamaha dealer can make you a new one off that info. Or possibly thru the Vin they cam get the code. To do the keyless set up I use to make it is a bit more in depth and really I intended it more as a emergency thing than a permanent fix. A new switch if you find one is pricey. If you look here on the site there is a "repair" for a finicky switch. Over the years and with the way Yamaha did the ignition system, the contacts get arched, and then some folks wiggle the key around to get a good contact and then you end up with what you may have going on.