IGNORED

Carpal Tunnel

Eddie

Ive seen and heard the words before but didn't know anything about it till now. Ever since I got back from SD my 2 middle fingers on my right had are numb. My doc wants to send me for surgery . Anybody have it done , was it worth it and what was your down time . I was going to wait but was told you can get permanent damage.

Edited by Eddie

Eddie its totaly worth it. I was down for about 9 weeks before I could go back to work with limited abilities. It took about 3 months before things started to get back to normal. I do have a little dexterity problems every now and then, but that only happens on really hard days. As you can tell by my screen name I use my hands for a living constantly. Along with numbness I was also getting extreme pain by the end of the day. All the pain is gone and the numbness only on the harder days.I never get the numbness when riding any more and use the cruise control much less now. I had no choice before. If I didnt use it before sugery it was bad pain and numbness

For me it was well worth it. And yes if I had to do it again I will. Good luck with what you do and listen to you doc

David

Eddie,

Lonna had both hands done and it has been great for her. There are some new minimally invasive surgeries that are being done now with repairing it. Check into different styles of surgery with it and make an informed decision...all the best with it my friend :thumbsup2:

Had both hands done. Was nice fealing the wife again. Was dropping wrenches all the time. And felt like needles were trying to poke out of fingers. Best thing i had repaired. Every body that had it done scars stuck out after mine started to heal good i sanded them down while they were soft it was tender for quite a while but you cant see them now

Well a little different opinion. Never had it done but was diagnosed with it years ago. I was working on autocad all day long and te wrist and forearm hurt like hell. Ended up with a different job and the pain went away. Not completely and occasionally bothers me but I change up or how I am doing something and the pain normally goes away.

Face it with any surgury the risk potential is there, therefore the question is can you manage or minimize the discomfort, without the risk.

I believe the longer you can wait the better it is, at least in most cases and pretty sure this is one that normally can wait. Medical marvels continue to improve, decreasing the risk factor and with shorter healing times.

Best of luck with the decision either way.

PS I was diagnosed in 1990 and yet to have it "Repaired"

Brad

That vibrator you're riding probably doesn't help. I have carpal tunnel too and when I took my neighbour's new Hog for a ride I didn't get two miles down the road before my hand was numb. I've been living with it for over twenty years. When I went in to see about getting it fixed of course the doc has to tell you everything that might go wrong. I didn't go through with it.

My GF had it done on both hands about 2 years apart. She did NOT follow docs instructions and now has permanent damage. I do not think it was any fault of the surgery its self.

On the other hand, I was diagnosed with borderline needing surgery 20+ years ago. I have been able to manage it to not let it get any worse with a combination of pills and paying attention to how I do things, and needing to wear a wrist brace for a few nights once in a very great while.

If you need it to be done, do it, BUT follow ALL of the docs instructions to the letter even though you think some are stupid.

Before you go for surgery, learn to take care of your personal needs with either hand.

i had both hands done at the same time about 15 years ago was out of action for 8 weeks [doctors orders ] not a bit of trouble since well worth getting done i had an old m21 bsa at the time and could not ride it for more than a couple of miles .what ever the doctor tells you about not doing anything for how ever many weeks DO IT. had a neighbor had it done the same time as me started working a week later didn't listen he has been back and had it done again about 5 years ago so LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR and keep plenty of straws in the pantry for drinking for the first week good luck:fingers-crossed-emo

I had both of mine done a couple of years ago. Usually they will rig you up for a shock test before doing anything to check how bad it is.... My right hand went dead permanently after riding a twisty 25 mile goat trail... Usually I could put on the cruise and shake the hand back to life, but not this time... I had the shock test in both hands and they checked out equally affected, even though the left hand never showed any signs of numbness... They did the numb hand first because it had been about 5 months since the ride. I was worried that the damage might have been permanent, but luckily the only after effects are the tips of my ring and middle finger are 'slightly' numb. The reason for doing one at a time is try zipping and wiping with both hands bandaged up... :) Good luck on your surgery. It's great riding without your hands going numb.....

Edited by Condor

That vibrator you're riding probably doesn't help. I have carpal tunnel too and when I took my neighbour's new Hog for a ride I didn't get two miles down the road before my hand was numb. I've been living with it for over twenty years. When I went in to see about getting it fixed of course the doc has to tell you everything that might go wrong. I didn't go through with it.

I don't kmow what you were on Gary but this 103 is as smoooth as a Venture. At a stop they shake but give em a little gas and you would be amazed. Good try on blaming the HD thou. :)

I don't kmow what you were on Gary but this 103 is as smoooth as a Venture. At a stop they shake but give em a little gas and you would be amazed. Good try on blaming the HD thou. :)

Neighbour bought the Dyna Switchback. I wasn't impressed. But I would be open to trying out the Ultra Classic. :)