IGNORED

Bikes and Bridges

relic

I have always had a phobia of high bridges on the bike. I have crossed many border bridges and they always seem to be high and I get stuck at the top so the wind will blow me around. I have also crossed the Mackinac bridge in a rain storm and had to use the grate lane as the paved was closed. Simply I hate bridges,

Now someone sent me this link and confirms my fears. I know I could not cross this.

Some here might like this challenge. I would like to know how they built it?

Enjoy the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4T4vc1QqiPM

John, that is a very cool video. It is unbelievable how much of a roller coaster that road is. If the viewers will stop the video at the 2:34 mark, you can see how wild the curvature of that road is.

Here is another vieo of that same road...when all the seas are very calm:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4T4vc1QqiPM

I may just have to seek this road out, and ride it when the weather is both good...and bad.

Edited by Miles

Must not get to freezing very often. That would be one big ice rink. Orginaly I thought upper northeast Canada, then I think I saw a truck that looked more of the European types. But it confuses me they are driving on the correct side of the road.

Must not get to freezing very often. That would be one big ice rink. Orginaly I thought upper northeast Canada, then I think I saw a truck that looked more of the European types. But it confuses me they are driving on the correct side of the road.

In Europe only only the United Kingdom and Ireland drive on the left side.

That is COOL!!! I did a search and found it's in Norway. It's the Atlanterhavsveien Road, it connects mainland Romsdal to the island of Averoya, the search also said it's the best drive in Norway. I don't have a problem with bridges on the bike, but a guy I used to ride with does. He went to Florida a few years ago to visit his sister in Key West. He had her meet him at Homestead and ride his bike to her house in the Keys, then back to Homestead when he left. He didn't have a problem with 4 wheels, just 2. :confused24:

Here's a link to the Norway road,,, www.theatlanticroad.com

Guest scarylarry
That is COOL!!! I did a search and found it's in Norway. It's the Atlanterhavsveien Road, it connects mainland Romsdal to the island of Averoya, the search also said it's the best drive in Norway. I don't have a problem with bridges on the bike, but a guy I used to ride with does. He went to Florida a few years ago to visit his sister in Key West. He had her meet him at Homestead and ride his bike to her house in the Keys, then back to Homestead when he left. He didn't have a problem with 4 wheels, just 2. :confused24:

Here's a link to the Norway road,,, www.theatlanticroad.com

Them ain't bridges leading into Key West there puppies, now a bridge is the Skyway in Tampa...Nothing like getting to the top and looking out in the clear blue then straight down for the ride..

Yea Larry and the "old US 19" Skyway was way more scarry than the current one is. Dont know if anybody else ever rode that thing but it seemed like a near straight up climb. I use to ride it in the 70" on my RD 350 and would have to drop down a gear depending on traffic. For me the scarryest part was what seemed like a 1/2 mile of expansion grating.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4052/4384849535_df278a2e4a_z.jpg?zz=1

Photo after the ship hit pylings and it fell. See the angle to get up this thing?

http://img.youtube.com/vi/xMjBGLxMdP4/0.jpg

Guest scarylarry

I have read about it but I never saw it or rode it...I know a few that will not ride the new one..

The metal grates will play a mind game with a biker for sure..

Great photo thanks

I agree the tampa bridge is a good one, but, has anyone out there been on the Astoria, Oregon bridge? It starts in Astoria with a 360 degree turn to gain altitude. You can look into homes built on the hillside in town. Then you keep climbing in order to be high enough for ships to pass under you. As you cross the center section you drive on steel grating. After crossing the main channel you drop to almost water level then 4 miles later you enter Washington state. It is one fantastic bridge.

Guest scarylarry
I agree the tampa bridge is a good one, but, has anyone out there been on the Astoria, Oregon bridge? It starts in Astoria with a 360 degree turn to gain altitude. You can look into homes built on the hillside in town. Then you keep climbing in order to be high enough for ships to pass under you. As you cross the center section you drive on steel grating. After crossing the main channel you drop to almost water level then 4 miles later you enter Washington state. It is one fantastic bridge.

No I never heard of it but sounds like a blast to ride..

Yea the steel grating use to really do me in. Lots of handlebar wobble. I guess because the old bikes tires were not as wide. If you look at the color pic you can see the grating was the entire section in the middle. The old bridge in Chrleston SC that went over the bay use to be a doozy too. Something about that bridge sticks in my head too. I think this is the one.

http://xpda.com/lakeland01/norfolk/Img_8652.jpg

Edited by djh3

Guest scarylarry

I spent a week in Ocean City and headed to DC to cross that bay bridge and it was awesome ride across..

Neat photo might need to look at that one more closer when I head to Myrtle beach...

Never done that bridge or been to PEI. Want to go there someday though.

Been everywhere else in the east.

Missed our chance in 2008 when we were in NFLD.

Ran into storms on the way home and cancelled PEI.

Just watched a youtube video of crossing this. :sign yeah that: