IGNORED

Am I Going to Fall Over?

Hi,

Just bought an '88 last night. Unloading it from the trailer I was surprised how heavy it was. I found out qiuckly I couldn't lean it as much as other bikes. I thought I was going to dump it.

How do these bikes handle at lower speeds? Good for a big bike, Bad?

Thank you.

They take a little getting use to. Heavy bike and maybe even a tad top heavy at parking lot speeds. Once moving though they handle like a dream. Take it to an empty parking lot and practice practice practice. You will be able to do handle bar lock to lock turns with practice. Always look at where you want to go not ahead.

Be very carefull, parking, and in driveways. !!! When backing out of a space, keep the sidestand down, just in case !!

If you pick a parking space which is " downhill " be sure to back in , so you can drive away when leaveing.

Basicly, low speed handling is " tricky " practice !! until you get used to it.

After learning about the "Friction Zone" things became much easier for me. When applying pressure on the rear brake, keep the engine RPM's up and let the clutch out slightly. This will cause the bike to "Stand Up", making slow speed turns etc much easier. If you can master slow speed turning, that will help you a bunch. See how slow you can go without putting your feet down. You will soon have the beast tamed. :)

Use the front brake as much as you feel comfortable with UNTIL you are almost stopped. then stay off it.

I was having a real hard time (especially with my wife on the back) then I started to make a point of making sure the front wheel was straight and I stayed off the front brake at very slow speeds.

I know the brakes are linked (unless the PO unlinked them) but staying off the front brake made a huge difference for me.

As to pushing the bike around. I don't even try unless I'm straddling it.

I would recommend watching the "Ride like a pro" video. It teaches about friction zone and watching where you want to go. Helped me there too!

You'll love the bike once you get used to it. But you should learn how to pick it up too!:whistling:

After learning about the "Friction Zone" things became much easier for me. When applying pressure on the rear brake, keep the engine RPM's up and let the clutch out slightly. This will cause the bike to "Stand Up", making slow speed turns etc much easier. If you can master slow speed turning, that will help you a bunch. See how slow you can go without putting your feet down. You will soon have the beast tamed. :)

There ya go. Pretty much says alot about how to maintain control at low speeds. One of the best things you can do is buy a copy of the video "Ride Like a Pro". That will walk you through handling a heavier than you are used to bike. And even better, how to pick it up if you do drop it.

In my experience, and as will be mentioned here and in the video, keep your hands of the front brake during very low speed manuevers until you come to a complete stop.

The effect of hard or even moderate pressure on the front brake during slow speed turns will dramatically change the balance of the bike, enough to tip you past the point of control.

In my younger days, I rode Goldwings. I had two situations that left me laying on my side. Both low speed, turning corners in city traffic at not much more than idle speed. Once I learned to tail brake (lighting dragging the rear brake) during slow turns and keeping my fingers off the front lever I got past the falling down trick. Haven't done it since.

Head to a safe place and practice. You'll get it figured out.

Mike

Hi,

How do these bikes handle at lower speeds? Good for a big bike, Bad?

At riding speed they are agile, fast & nimble BUT

At lower speeds they are difficult, cumbersome, heavy, & definitely needing skill.

Basically this picture describes it.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01752/elephant-tightrope_1752802i.jpg

Yet it's going to be the bike you will love the most!

As to your original question "Am I going to fall over?".

Yea there is a good chance you will.

Most bikers have to pick up their bike sooner or later.

If you do get to the point of no return, don't try to stop it, you will only hurt your self, let the crash bars do their job and then just pick it back up and continue on your way like you really meant to do that.......

I have not had mine go down with me on it but did have it knocked over once, With proper technique it is not to bad to pick back up.

As mentioned this is a big heavy bike that is somewhat top heavy, I can make a u-turn in a driveway without putting my feet down. It is well worth it to get the "ride like a pro" DVD and go out and practice what they tell you.

The center stand will also force you to learn proper technique for getting that up. Once you learn the right way it is pretty easy.

We also have rules on this site, if there ain't no pictures it don't really exist.

We all love to drool over others toys.

:worthless:

there ya go. Pretty much says alot about how to maintain control at low speeds. One of the best things you can do is buy a copy of the video "ride like a pro". That will walk you through handling a heavier than you are used to bike. And even better, how to pick it up if you do drop it.

In my experience, and as will be mentioned here and in the video, keep your hands of the front brake during very low speed manuevers until you come to a complete stop.

The effect of hard or even moderate pressure on the front brake during slow speed turns will dramatically change the balance of the bike, enough to tip you past the point of control.

In my younger days, i rode goldwings. I had two situations that left me laying on my side. Both low speed, turning corners in city traffic at not much more than idle speed. Once i learned to tail brake (lighting dragging the rear brake) during slow turns and keeping my fingers off the front lever i got past the falling down trick. Haven't done it since.

Head to a safe place and practice. You'll get it figured out.

Mike

what he said. Its really important to practice practice practice what they have on the video and riding these will be fun instead of scary.

Thanks guys! Never head of the friction zone, and will look into the dvd. Buy a bike that weighs 400lbs more then your others and you learn all kinds of new things.

These guys are talking about a different kind of "friction zone" than what I'm used to .... it's the one at home that I deal with .... :Laugh: :Laugh:

Thanks guys! Never head of the friction zone, and will look into the dvd. Buy a bike that weighs 400lbs more then your others and you learn all kinds of new things.

Some guys will tell you the "Friction Zone" will damage your clutch. In effect, it fry a dry clutch in short order. These bikes have a wet clutch that is lubricated by the engine oil. (Hence the need to pay attention when buying oil. No engine additive to make it slicker) The wet clutch system is much more forgiving than a dry, but still don't abuse the slippage. This method is pretty safe to use on our bikes.

These bikes have a hydraulic clutch so the "Friction Zone", where the clutch is just on the edge of holding is very narrow. Just a small pull on the lever will tell where it's at.

You can practice that by trying to get the bike rolling from a stop with the engine idling.

With that said, one of the methods taught on the video is learning how to ride the bike at a "slow walk" speed. This is riding the bike in straight line, better to practice now than trying to turn, with the engine just above idle speed. With the clutch just beginning to slip and a very light touch on the rear brake pedal you will find a spot that is surprisingly stable at just a couple miles per hour speed. The gyro effect of the engine has a bit to do with that.

Takes a lil practice but once you can ride at a slow walk in a straight line, the slow turns came a LOT easier.

By the way..........

:2BLUE:

Mike

Buy a bike that weighs 400lbs more then your others and you learn all kinds of new things.

On the bright side when you ride the other bikes they will feel real light. I also have an 81 CB750, after owning the VR for 9 months the 750 now feels like a dirtbike.

If you've been riding bikes half the weight and you don't know about the friction zone then you may not know about counter steering. I assume it's in the Ride Like a Pro DVD.

With a light bike you can manhandle it around. With a heavy bike like your Venture it's all about the proper technique.

Look exactly where you want to go!!!

Normally this is thought of when you are going down the road at speed and realize you are cutting it close on making a curve. Don't look at the ditch or that is where you will go. Look where you want to go.

This also works very good at slow speeds too. If you are making a sharp turn, even doing a u-turn in the road, look at the point on the road you want to track. You will be surprised how well your brain will work in adjusting speed, amount of lean and braking that you will need to do. Just stay focused on the path you want to go.

RandyA