IGNORED

I saw this trailer on Craigslist

uncledj

Don't know how I'd feel towing something like this.

Was thinking about turning it into a motorcycle trailer, but don't know if it'd be safe.

:whistling:

bjmrt-3269559198@sale.craigslist.org http://images.craigslist.org/5N85L15M83M93Fe3Jec9df2847bb5042e1d3b.jpg

OH WOW an old '60's Coleman Pack Horse Trailer. IDK how they pull behind a bike but they were a breeze to pull behind an air cooled Beetle!

I would assume it would be equally easy to pull with a bike as it will also lean with you~!

He wants $150 for it. It looks a bit rough, but with a little elbow grease (and paint) it might make a nice Winter project.

I can fab up a hitch easy enough, but have difficulty imagining the dynamics of a trailer rigidly mounted to the bike, and leaning with the bike.

I guess you wouldn't have to worry about it jack knifing anyway.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if I can nab it.

Any further opinions appreciated....I've never pulled a trailer and am not sure what to expect.

:fingers-crossed-emo

He wants $150 for it. It looks a bit rough, but with a little elbow grease (and paint) it might make a nice Winter project.

I can fab up a hitch easy enough, but have difficulty imagining the dynamics of a trailer rigidly mounted to the bike, and leaning with the bike.

I guess you wouldn't have to worry about it jack knifing anyway.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if I can nab it.

Any further opinions appreciated....I've never pulled a trailer and am not sure what to expect.

:fingers-crossed-emo

A buck 50? Yeah definitely worth a looksee. You should be able to knock down the price.

Single wheel is the easiest trailer to pull. because the wheel leans & also pivots. It will ALWAY track directly behind you.

I used a universal joint from a gm steering column in my trailer. It swivels up and down and left and right but the trailer leans with the bike. I honestly did forget it was back there. Started to turn around to look for a buddy that had disappeared and as I was backing up I felt some pressure and remembered it. Had it at a right angle at that point.

I would be wondering how it would pull if it is a wide trailer say 3 1/2 ft wide and not packed right would it tend to lean harder to that side making it harder to control? I know if it was one that was made narrow it wouldn't pull to the side. If it was me and it was as wide as a car-top carrier I personally put a regular axle on it.My 2cents.

I went and checked it out. It was all there, but a lotta rust, the wheel and pivot turns smooth but tight. Plates say that it was last licensed in 86. I offered the guy $80 for it and he took it.

I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'll weld up a hitch for it, sandblast and paint, clean and grease the bearings, will still have to determine whether to keep the tire or not. Looks ok, but pretty old.

When I make a hitch, I was planning on making it to swivel up and down, but not turn. One poster suggested a u joint type of hitch, allowing the trailer to turn with the bike...which sounds interesting, but I'm not sure of what benefit I'd get by having the trailer turn with me. It seems like it'd be easier to back out of a spot without lateral motion.....any thoughts from anyone who's been through it would be appreciated. :detective:

I went and checked it out. It was all there, but a lotta rust, the wheel and pivot turns smooth but tight. Plates say that it was last licensed in 86. I offered the guy $80 for it and he took it.

I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'll weld up a hitch for it, sandblast and paint, clean and grease the bearings, will still have to determine whether to keep the tire or not. Looks ok, but pretty old.

When I make a hitch, I was planning on making it to swivel up and down, but not turn. One poster suggested a u joint type of hitch, allowing the trailer to turn with the bike...which sounds interesting, but I'm not sure of what benefit I'd get by having the trailer turn with me. It seems like it'd be easier to back out of a spot without lateral motion.....any thoughts from anyone who's been through it would be appreciated.:detective:

If the trailer doesn't turn, when making a sharp turn with the bike, the trailer will skid-hop ... I figgure?

John,

If you want to talk with someone about pulling a single wheel trailer, talk with Dennis Traynor Midrsv on the site here. I know he had a unigo that he pulled behind his RSV and would be a great resource for questions......and loose that tire thats on there :2cents:

As far as the tire goes, I'm sure you're right. Should be pretty cheap anyhow. I think it's a 4.80 x 8 which is a pretty common tire.

I have a 57 Ford Tractor / backhoe, and I think the rear tires are original. They both have been banded to prevent the tubes from blowing through, and I silicone up the cracks as I find them.

At this point, it's kind of a game where since I rarely use the backhoe, I refuse to spend the $$$ to replace the tires when the old ones get me by......the tires aren't the only thing worn out on that ol' gal. Leaks, smokes, creaks, but always starts and digs great.

.....Don't ask me how I got off on that tangient.....:shock3:

When I make a hitch, I was planning on making it to swivel up and down, but not turn.

If you keep the swivel wheel you should be OK. But what do I know? I've never pulled a trailer. On second thought, you may get a lot of wheel shimmy with the swivel. Just a thought.

Two different animals here.

Some of the trailers do not have a swivel on the single wheel. Those are the ones that require a U-joint in the hitch so that they can move up and down and turn.

If you have a swivel wheel, a U-joint would be a bad thing, it would allow the trailer to swing all over the place and try to pass you up when you hit the brakes or even just swing out till it hits some part of the bike to stop it.

With a trailer that has a swivel wheel you still do need the ability to move up and down only to allow for uneven surfaces like entering the DQ driveway.

OK that is the mechanics part of what you need to even try it. I am not sure how the swivel wheel will handle behind a bike that will be leaning in the corners. Because as the swivel lets the wheel turn it is also moving it off center which will cause a weight imbalance toward the outside of the turn that will be trying to stand the bike back up. I'm just not sure how that part will work out.