IGNORED

Built a digital carb sync

tz89

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. And really one multimeter would do. Someone handy could build something solid in minutes. Get 4 old MAP sensors, or 4 cheap vacuum sensors (like board mount), and you are good to go. The MAP sensors just drop the signal voltage from the reference voltage in as vacuum increases. They're like a pot (potentiometer).

Edited by tz89

• 3 months later...

dang i want to try and build one. but the wife just quit her job. will have to wait till she is back to work. hope i dont loose this thread. need a good challenge other than bike itself. getting tired of it fighting me. might just as well go way over my head. would that work with digital display instead.:pushups::pushups::doh::confused07: no smiles with smoke over head.

You can just search for your own posts and find your way...like breadcrumbs in the forest.

I'm waiting for my new google phone to arrive and then while it is still raining in Oregon I hope to tackle that alternative display project. :detective:

dang i want to try and build one. but the wife just quit her job. will have to wait till she is back to work. hope i dont loose this thread. need a good challenge other than bike itself. getting tired of it fighting me. might just as well go way over my head. would that work with digital display instead.:pushups::pushups::doh::confused07: no smiles with smoke over head.

Just go to the blur bar at the top of this thread and click on "Thread Tools" and then "Subscribe to this thread"

There will be a list of all of the threads that You subscribe to in the "User CP"

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old.

I came across someone who did a similar project using some of the same equipment

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Throttle-Body-Syncronization-Shield

I'm working on using a Arduino bord like the link above, but I want to use my Android tablet or phone do display 4 graphs. It's going to take me a bit to do this because I need to learn the programming.

Thanks for posting this.

My project is coming along, but more slowly than I want. I have the graphic display on a computer or cell phone working. Bluetooth is looking like more trouble/expense than benefit, so a cable connection. I am wondering about the practical vs geeky value of on-board vs off-board display. I'm leaning on-board this week.

My main push right now is to re-think the MAP sensor solution. The article you posted showed a custom board with 4 surface mount sensors. I have those, but they are about $15 a piece unless you buy a large quantity. The board mount arrangement looks fragile but if done well would hold. My guess is that people working on their bikes want simple, reliable and lower cost, rather than geeky neato. It's gotta be tough.

Go ahead and use the latest code version I posted on your own projects. This is so easy to do there is no use copywriting and sinking money into it. I want this to be a low cost do-it-yourself project for bikers so inclined. I'll have updates and photos soon, or at least intend to.

Tom :smash2:

Edited by tz89

Thanks for letting me/us the use of your code.

I'm thinking of using this Arduino bord, as it has USB compatibility with Android.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/563?gclid=CJzM0rqjhLgCFe3m7AoddFwABw

I'm using this project as a learning setping stone for another project I have in mind. I want to make a replacement dashbord for my bike using an Android tablet as the display.

Interesting. Keep us posted on that dashboard project. I've wondered about it, specifically if one could find technical data sheets or somehow figure out the the incoming signals. I imagine one could build a TCI, too.

If so you may be able to find development motivation with Zackybilly1 over on the GL1800riders forum his thread http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?304851-I-modified-my-Wing-cat-is-out-of-the-bag&highlight=zack

is now 581 posts long and quite an entertaining read if you have a lot of spare time that may appeal to other creative minds like TZ Tom's

CUT THE END OFF AN OLD TIMING LIGHT AN WIRE IT IN

THEN JUST CLIP IT ON FOR TACH..:lightbulb:

All you need to do fo a tach on the sync gauge is to have the software count the vacume pulses on one of the cyclinders and caluclate the RPM. At least I think that would work. At the shop we have a digital vacume gauge that has an RPM option and it only connects to the vacume ports.

• 1 month later...

@tz89

I have been working on a similar project with a couple of folks over on the Yamaha Super Tenere forum and the ADV forum. There was a guy making one called a "Harmonizer" but he has stopped for the time being so some of us are giving it a go. I stumbled across your work after getting going. I am using off the shelf components from FreeScale to hook up with the Arduino.

If it is OK with you I am going to use some of your code - I'll publish what I come up with over on the S10/Adv forums and perhaps on GitHub as opensource. Is v01r06 the latest and greatest?

If you want to PM me we can exchange email address' - I am just a short term guest on here since I don't have a related m/c.

Thanks

Chris

PM sent.

I'm still working on the next version. I hope to have something to post with pictures soon.

I lent my first version to my brother and it worked fine for him.

Please continue to post your ideas and your own attempts to build.

I looked up some info on Goldwings. It seems they have an intake manifold on each side and so only have two carbs. That's easy. Honda Valkyries have six carbs, and my next version may help with that.

PM sent.

I'm still working on the next version. I hope to have something to post with pictures soon.

I lent my first version to my brother and it worked fine for him.

Please continue to post your ideas and your own attempts to build.

I looked up some info on Goldwings. It seems they have an intake manifold on each side and so only have two carbs. That's easy. Honda Valkyries have six carbs, and my next version may help with that.

Excellent!

6 ... that'd be pain to tune! The S10 is only 2 and my VStrom is only 2. FWIW, you can always tune one at a time keeping one of the ports as a reference. Not perfect but it will do the job.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...