IGNORED

Digital camera for fathers day

ragtop69gs

My dear wife has told me to go out and get a new digital camera for fathers day. I have a top $ budget of $250 but the lower the better. I want something that's small enough to carry in the tank bib that I can pull out and shoot while riding, it's got to have a decent optical zoom for scenery shots without a lot of lag time between shots. I'd also like it to have HD video that is not time limited for shooting ride video. I don't take pictures of the night sky very often. I'd use it mostly for scenery, portrait, parts pics and video. The easier to use the better. My last 2 cameras were Canons A620 and a A570IS

I'm looking for recommendations from experienced photo shooters or a similar to me novice with actual hands on use, please.

Canon S-95 or Canon S-100...................:photographing:

I like the Canon's but those are both above what I'm looking to spend

For all that I read about, this is the more complete one to use on motorcycles or any other sports...

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CIH8jKrMx7ACFSMDQAod-Q3uYg

Motorcycle sports option is 239.99$

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Ah, almost forget it: Happy Father's Day...

I thought about the gopro, but not very useful as an everyday still image camera.

I have two Panasonic. DMC-ZS15

This is a unbelievable camera and if you look around they are about $180.00 do some comparing and I know 3 of my friends have got this one on my recommendation . 1080 HD video, gps,slow motion video ,capture a picture from video ,Leica lense. Bill

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs15

Edited by bill in mn

I bought a Nikon S6000 for all those reasons. It's a bit older now but passed it to the wife who is the official pillion seat photographer. We went to Scottsboro, AL to Unclaimed Baggage (http://unclaimedbaggage.com/ ) and I found about 10-12 cameras among their selection that I really liked. After about 20 minutes handling and checking I finally selected a Nikon P500 for an excellent price. It's a bit larger than the S6000 but wow! it has a 36X optical zoom, takes great photos and the few macro shots I've made have also been excellent.

My "riding" camera is an older (3 years) Olympus Stylus 1030W. The newer versions are Tough Series (TG-3XX to TG-8XX) they are waterproof, freezeproof, shockproof and will take 1080p video. I wear it around my neck on a 35mm type camera strap. I always wear it when I ride. It is flat so I can slip it into the front of my riding jacket. The camera strap is great for no-fear of dropping the camera and long enough to move the camera around to take shots while I ride and if I have to grab the bars in a hurry. I'm very pleased with it. I can operate it with just my left hand. I have used it in the rain and while swimming. It has a great auto-panorama feature that will take the next shot by just moving the camera to the side. I keep an extra battery and memory card for longer trips.

When my wife rides along she users her 16MP Lumix DMC-G3 from the back seat.

I guess asking this question is kind of like asking which oil to use :whistling: So far most of what's been suggested would be good, but, I'm still no closer to making a choice yet. I'm going to have to go put my hands on a few to see what feels nest for me.

Thank you to all who responded so far.

i have a fuji finepix 8.2mp for the bike does reasonable shots but the one thing to stay away from is the cameras that need AA or AAA batteries get a camera with it's own batteries and charger other wise you will be continually buying batteries :backinmyday: and when you need the camera most they will be flat.

i have a fuji finepix 8.2mp for the bike does reasonable shots but the one thing to stay away from is the cameras that need AA or AAA batteries get a camera with it's own batteries and charger other wise you will be continually buying batteries :backinmyday: and when you need the camera most they will be flat.

I would have to disagree, my last 2 Canon cameras used AA's and I've never been stopped by dead batteries. The batteries last for hundreds of shots or lots of video. When I was in Montana I took over 800 stills and 2 hours of video on 1 set. Over the years I have found it very economical use.

I carry a Canon HS230 in addition to my SLR on trips. The HS230 has great low light capabilities and has a very long, 14X optical zoom with image stabilization. Shoots great 1080P HD video. I find that I use my SLR less and less.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B004J3YCGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339590870&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX230 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 14x Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full-HD Video (Black): Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oS1ByEwWL.@@AMEPARAM@@51oS1ByEwWL[/ame]

Dennis

Hmmm, tough question to answer Jay, I do like Cannon, Fugi, Olympus, and Nikon. I have to agree with aharbi about the Olympus "Tough" series for something that you are going to carry on a bike!! Before buying any camera read a few reviews on the particular model first. Regardless of what battery it takes buy spare battery and charger if non AA battery. You can usually find cheap spare batterys and chargers on Fleabay and many will charge thru a 12V accessory plug. Yes WOOT has good deals but usually they are older discontinued models. Shop around, Amazon has good prices but you can also check CNET for good deals as well!

For my bike I am currently carring a Samsung I bought off of Fleabay daily deal for $60 and it serves the purpose but I wish it had a little better zoom. You need a minimum of 6X optical, 10X is better. SD cards are sooo cheap these days I don't even delete the bad shots any more...