IGNORED

1st Gen Venture with EFi?

What is it that you would expect from an EFI system?

Gary

Wouldn't necessarily have "expectations". I wondered if it had been done.

However .... Fuel Injection does normally brings with it better control of the mixture, a cleaner, more efficient engine and less routine maintenance.

Then there is that "Look what I did" grin factor :)

And the Bling factor is my motivation on many things.

EFI is good for the enviroment & economy, but not horsepower. You don't see many race engines using it.

It would be a fun winter project for you.

:mo money:

Gary

NASCAR is going to EFI this year.

However, as an add on, I don't think the average tinker would ever get all the mapping right. It would take a lot of dino time.

EFI is good for the enviroment & economy, but not horsepower. You don't see many race engines using it.

Gary

I do believe Nascar is going to fuel injection next year and I suspect there are a lot more cars in drag racing that are fuel injected rather than carburated.

RandyA

However, as an add on, I don't think the average tinker would ever get all the mapping right. It would take a lot of dino time.

Is NASCAR also going to Ethynol this year to? If they are, then the EFI may be part of this change over.

As far as a cost saving on gas, assuming 10,000 miles a year rode, gas at $4.00 a gallon & 40 MPG. This would be a cost of $0.10 a mile, $1,000 for the year. Even with a 10% increase in fuel economy or about $100 a year savings. You would look at a 16 year payoff considering just parts for the referenced kit is about $1,600.

I got my 6 caliper brake & N2O project for this year.

Gary

Probably no more than for setting up a programmable advance curve.

The mixture is controlled by by the sensors and the injector timings would be close even on default.

In the Microsquirt box everything is adjustable in software.

This is not a new technology. It's a well-trodden path. It might be new to the VR, but the V-Max guys have been doing it for years with basically the same engine.

Gary

Its the Fuel injection that can make the difference. You can make a 302 push 600 horses if you have the right injection kit on it

Inquiring minds want to know... will your machine be available for guest test rides @ MD?

:225:

Test rides are scheduled for 8:00 - 10:00 Thursday morning.

But unless there is a cancellation, all appointments are filled.

Thank you for your interest.

:confused24:

Gary

I just saw a show where they circulate the gas through the fuel rail and back to the tank for a race vehicle. The claim here was the pump always pumps at the same pressure and is cooler (?? im not sure if they were talking about the fuel or tank) next explaination was that when you open the throddle all the way you don't have a sudden loss of pressure waiting for a pump to catch up. They were running a drag car with a small fuel cell instead of a tank. It looked to me like a lot of extra valves and hoses to go wrong.

Has this been done to our bikes?

This article is a conversion kit for the V-Max, with CV Carbs ... seems like it wouldn't be massively hard to adapt it:

http://roadstercycle.com/yamaha_vmax_fuel_injector_cv_car.htm

You did not seem to get an answer to the original question . . .

Since the Vmax engine is a factory hot rod version of the Venture engine, the listed EFI kit for the Vmax should easily work on your Venture.

I agree with Dingy. The cost of a change-over is way more than the benefit.

It would be cool though . . . :whistling:

But when it come to cool, I thought cost was no object.

If the cost of cool were an issue, there would be no such thing as CHROME or other add ons that serve no purpose other than cool.

So who is going to be the first from this forum to do it????

Probably not me Jeff :) I was only asking.

It could probably be done for just under $1000.

If you had a bike that needed substantial carb work anyway, and the Ignition system replacing, then the cost is not so outrageous.

Our bikes have plenty of power available even in standard tune. A modern small car with engine management can be tuned for impressive fuel economy. I would imagine that the same is true for our engines and for high-milers, the cost would be recouped in gas savings.

As far as a cost saving on gas, assuming 10,000 miles a year rode, gas at $4.00 a gallon & 40 MPG

Yeah - right. but if you pay closer to $10/gallon and get 30-35mpg, then being able to get what others are managing might give a better return. Various carb maintenance has lifted economy from 30-35mpg, which is a useful increase, but getting to 40mpg would also mean a much better tank range, although buying a big petrol (4 gallon/20l) can for the trailer helped on that front.

Mind you, I'm not doing 10,000 miles per year on mine. Maybe I would if economy was better...

I ride in a world where folk spend $700 on a crash helmet, $1000 on a riding suit then fix Two Garmin Zumos ($600) each to their bikes.

That's not counting the many hundreds of dollars folk lavish on bling!

I even saw a recent email where a guy has a budget of $1000 to $2000 to fit a radar detector!.

So there are plenty of people out there who would consider an upgrade from CV Carbs to EFi to be a rather modest cost, especially when you factor in all the advantages it brings. One of them is better gas mileage, but that's only the one you tell "er indoors to justify the cost.

More power, cleaner running, smoother running, better starting etc .... plus the fun factor and uniqueness.

Have I convinced anyone to try it yet? :)

I think the 'better gas mileage' is a maybe proposition.

Triumph went from carbs to FI on their Bonneville line a few years back, the bikes otherwise being mostly unchanged. The fuel economy did not improve per a Triumph dealer I talked to.

• 6 months later...

Really?...you've never heard of a little company called hilborn, then?....;)

Seriously though, I know this thread is a few months old so who knows if anyone is still paying attention, but....

I have always been a big believer in carbs.

I think if fuel injection had been first, and the carb a recent invention, then the carburetor would be hailed as a revolutionary breakthrough in fuel delivery simplification.

That said, if you want to do a forced induction setup, and you want the engine to deliver maximum horsepower, live more than a few minutes, and be streetable and driveable, you NEED the amount of fine control you have over fuel delivery that you can really only obtain from fuel injection.

If someone was thinking of slapping a little toyota sc14 supercharger on a venture, fuel injection would be the way to go...Then just TRY and catch up to them to let them know that fuel injection is only good for the environment and fuel economy....:D

The other obvious benefits of fuel injection would be perfect stoichiometry no matter the altitude or temperature, quicker throttle response, ease of maintenance and the ability to tune it for whatever mod you planned in the future, with a few minutes and a couple keystrokes.

Well when I did the MEFI conversion from the 2brl carb on the 351w in my 78 F100, I got about a 40 -50% increase in mileage depending on the mood. As for the difference in horsepower and torque, I have no clue. Dependability, it hasn't failed me yet since. No matter how long it has sat or no matter the weather, just reach in and hit the key and it starts right up without hesitation.

So ya, I'd be willing to give it a try. Now if I could add VMax cam, VBoost, etc. at the same time, it may be a plus too. Being able to use a different air cleaner to help the engine breath better might help as well. If I had the $$ right now, I'd have a whack at it.

Bill

Nascar is indeed using fuel injection and a special blend of gas/ethanol, they started using it this year, 2012. They are not obtaining the gas mileage they were getting when using carbs, they are still having some problems with fuel pressure and it is getting more reliable as time goes on.........I also believe F! and Indy car have been using it for some years now.

Fuel injection by its self will not make more horse power. The FI just keeps the mixture correct at all times, this may give a SLIGHT increase in power at CERTAIN speeds where the carb was way off.

Getting more power would require getting more air through the engine by bigger intake, and/or better exhaust, and/or bigger valves/cam.

I would love to mess with it if I had the money to waste.:mo money: