IGNORED

2up long haul on venture?

meach

Would like some feedback from those who ride 2up.

New to site here, been riding a honda vtx1300S last few years, wife just recently riding along more so looking for a better ride for her mostly in particular on longer trips. Any others from a x1300 background as to how the venture compares at highway speeds or any other areas for that matter. I have looked at GW, HD, etc but giving the venture a look. Smoother ride with the v4, more room to stretch out (compared to GW, sport/touring bikes, etc. I'm 6'2").

I'm in the early stages of looking so any constructive comments welcome and appreciated.

Welcome,

I ride two up most of the time both my wife and I are large people, 6 to 8 hours in a day is about my wifes limit, with my daughter we usally go 9 to 10 in a day. The RSV is about the only bike I have found that fits me well. The Venture does not handle well at Parking lot speeds but is very much at home at speed, mines sweetspot is about 75.

Would like some feedback from those who ride 2up.

New to site here, been riding a honda vtx1300S last few years, wife just recently riding along more so looking for a better ride for her mostly in particular on longer trips. Any others from a x1300 background as to how the venture compares at highway speeds or any other areas for that matter. I have looked at GW, HD, etc but giving the venture a look. Smoother ride with the v4, more room to stretch out (compared to GW, sport/touring bikes, etc. I'm 6'2").

I'm in the early stages of looking so any constructive comments welcome and appreciated.

I ride two up all the time. We have rode to the Wall, Key West, and Daytona. We live in Ky. My wife is a bigger gal. She says it is just like riding on a car seat. The bike handles great. I replaced the leveling links in the back and made 100 percent difference at low speed . Like parking lots and slow moving traffic. I have rode GW there is a lot more room on the Venture or at least I think so

As you can see, I now own a GW but for the past 3 years we rode an '06 RSMV. We ride 2-up all the time and have done a fair bit of long distance riding, doing 8, 10 and even 12 hour days. The bike is very comfortable; however, I did find that adding a back rest made quite a bit of difference, comfort-wise, on a long distance ride.

In comparison, on the Wing you sit differently ... sorta the same as on a 1st gen Venture. I can do just as long a day without a backrest on the Wing and be equally comfortable. At first my wife didn't like the seat on the Wing as much as the Venture but she's now used to it's "difference" and is quite happy.

We moved to a Wing mostly for more power for pulling our tent trailer as most of our riding is mountains and the Venture seemed to work pretty hard hauling that trailer and as such, it was more work for me.

You really can't go wrong with the Venture but before you make a decision, take a good test drive on one.

The Venture has the most spacious and I think comfortable passenger seat. The passenger on an HD Ultra has to get their legs past the saddle bag guards. Which may course some discomfort on a long trip. The Gold Wing is more cramped and riding positions are limited but it offers more power. Put a set of arm rests on the Venture and the passenger could just take a nap right there.

On my Venture I put an adapter on the handle bars to move them up and back a little. And I added a riders backrest and highway pegs. This provided me with a variety of comfortable positions for my long rides and I am very pleased with it.

Both the HD Ultra and Gold Wing offer extras such as anti-loc brakes and fuel injection that are not available on the Venture. But these things come at extra cost.

Mike

We test rode about everything before buying a 11 venture, I was actually sold on a BRP Spyder by a guy at work. After the test ride my wife said the Venture was far more comfortable. She is 5'10" and has had back and neck surgeries, the only thing she has commented on is the height of the floorboards...

thanks for the feedback, gonna check and see if I can test drive one sometime. Have driven GW and couple diff. HD, had been flipping back and forth between the two. At a recent gathering of vtx riders one of the guys brought his venture and he was telling me about it and showing it to me, might fit our needs well. Be nice to have more power for 2up and possibly one day pulling a trailer but the trailers not a given. Looks like the venture can do a trailer but the power of the gw would handle it better. We like to camp, I've taken my vtx camping solo (3 nights on the Natchez Trace) don't see it happening on the vtx 2up with gear.

FI vs Carb. not that big a deal to me, used to carbs, ABS would be nice but again never had it so wouldn't miss it.

Might look into some heated gear, my wife doesn't like to be cold. I'm use to just adding another layer as the temp drops thru the winter or riding the higher mountains out west.

thanks for the feedback, gonna check and see if I can test drive one sometime. Have driven GW and couple diff. HD, had been flipping back and forth between the two. At a recent gathering of vtx riders one of the guys brought his venture and he was telling me about it and showing it to me, might fit our needs well. Be nice to have more power for 2up and possibly one day pulling a trailer but the trailers not a given. Looks like the venture can do a trailer but the power of the gw would handle it better. We like to camp, I've taken my vtx camping solo (3 nights on the Natchez Trace) don't see it happening on the vtx 2up with gear.

FI vs Carb. not that big a deal to me, used to carbs, ABS would be nice but again never had it so wouldn't miss it.

Might look into some heated gear, my wife doesn't like to be cold. I'm use to just adding another layer as the temp drops thru the winter or riding the higher mountains out west.

We pulled a cargo trailer loaded to the 9's and that was OK but the tent trailer with all the gear took effort.

The key to driving these Ventures is to keep the revvs up. You can't drive them like a V-twin nor do they have the bottom end power like a Wing. 2500-3500 rpm and above is where the Venture likes to live.

As you asked I cant offer you a comparison from a vtx 1300 to a venture. But i did move up from a V Star 1100 as far as comfort goes its like getting out of a Chevy Vega into a Caddy.

Handling at low speed takes some getting use to and there are things to improve that I have had mine about 6 months just finished an over 1600 mile trip in a week did like 400 something first day like it was nothing. The Vstar 1 tank of gas and we were about done. My wife gets mad if I ride solo so its always two up for us. She loves the smooth ride and her throne. It is a big machine but seems remarkably nimble at speed in my opinion. But do test ride one if you can it's like any other bike it is not for everyone. Good luck

I went from a 1100 ACE to a RSMV in 03. A month later road it 2up from E. Texas to Vegas and back around thru Colorado. Averaged about 400-500 miles per day. The wife loves it. She could actually go to sleep back there. Since then have done a couple of trips to the Carolinas 2up and several to Big Bend. I have ridden the GW and it has awesome power but it just doesn't fit me. I'm 5'7" and 145#. I had the seat cut down and added the Flanders bars which really helped. I put 72K miles on the 03 and bought a 07 last year. Did a SS1000 and BB1500 in May from E. Tx to San Diego. You will not find a more reliable bike or one that loves the open road more. Oh yeah some whine and some don't. My 03 screamed but the 07 is very quiet.

Everyone is different. Personally, I feel that the RSV is absolutely the most comfortable touring bike I have ever ridden, and I have been riding touring bikes since the late 60s. I am 6'5", and the only modifications I have made to the ride on the RSV is to add leveling links to raise the rear by 1", and I made a bead seat cover. The raised rear greatly improves the low speed handling of the bike and fit my long legs better. The bead seat cover alone extended my straight-through comfort range from about 500 miles to 1,500 miles (single stretch, no stops except for gas).

My wife did not ride bikes before we got married about 10 years ago, so she does not have a lot to compare it with, but she totally amazes me when we on on trips. We have been all over the US and into Canada on our 05 RSV, and not one single time have I ever heard her say she was tired or had a sore butt. Our average travel day varies from a low of about 350 miles when just poking around in new areas to 750 miles when trying to make time and reach a specific destination. The last trip to Canada we were on a schedule and did three straight 700 mile days to get there. A couple of years ago in mid December we were leaving Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, to head home in Texas. We had no intention of making it anything other than a normal ride, but as the day wore on and I kept asking her when she wanted to stop for the night, she only replied that she was good and happy to ride as long as I wanted. So I kept riding. We ended up covering 1,370 miles straight through, and the ONLY time she even got off the seat was for two meals. She blew my mind by not even wanting to dismount to walk around and rub her but at gas stops! Not only does she find the RSV extraordinarily comfortable, but she regularly sleeps behind be on long rides. From my own observations, she seems to actually find the RSV more comfortable on really long trips than she does our 2007 Jaguar XJ8.

Goose

While I can't say anything about the VTX, I do own a 2004 goldwing and a 2007 RSV. My girlfriend and I have made several rides greater than 3k miles on the RSV, most of these rides were 300 to 400 miles a day for a couple weeks. on the goldwing we occasionally do a couple 300 mile plus days but not the long trips like the venture. My girlfiend has never fallen asleep on the goldwing. On a trip from upstate New York out to montana we ran into the problem of her falling asleep on the Venture. swung into a wal-mart got a luggage strap and jurry rigged a seat belt, since upgraded to arm rests and a strap to hold them in position so she held more secure. I am 6 feet one 200 lbs and find the goldwing a little cramped for the long runs, the Venture is my bike of choice for most rides. Since I long ago grew out of the need to wake babies and scare little old ladies I do like the Goldwing for it's quiet engine and smooth transmission. I prefer the fel of the Venture on rougher roads, smooth highways it is a toss up. hope this helps

Al

Not a VTX 1300, but a VTX 1800C to now a Royal Star Tour Deluxe not a Royal Star Venture. The reason for the change was the same as your desires "more comfort". We have just owned it since the second week of August, but a comparison is on the VTX I could feel her squirming around on her seat after 30-40 min. and one of our first rides we were on the bike for 1-1/2 hours before we got off for gas with no complaints. I'm 6'-2" as well and have added the highway pegs for additional leg room. The RSTD has quick release windshield and sissy bar/backrest they advertise for boulevard cruising, but I like it for cleaning. BTW our bike is an 07.

My wife rides some with me and when I purchased my GW and after her 1st ride on it she did state the thought the Venture was more comfortable for her. She never complains about the GW (I sold my Venture) and seems pretty happy with the bike I ride now.

I believe your wife will go for either the Venture or GW. Both are great bikes

Not much to add, other than that I am on my 2nd Venture, and my wife loves the back seat. She much prefers the pillowtop though, so I'm swapping out the seat on my '06 Midnight Venture for a pillowtop. We've done lots of long trips together on Ventures.

One advantage to the Venture is that it is much less expensive on the used market, as much as 50% less than a comparable Wing or Harley. So if money is an issue...

It is also way roomier than an Ultra Classic. Don't get one of those unless you don't mind being really crammed together with your passenger. On the Venture there is so much room back there you may forget you have a passenger.

Good Luck and Ride Safe,

1/2crazed

I rode a VTX1300 for a few years before getting the RSV in '08, mainly for the 2-up comfort over long hauls. I loved the X and wish I still had it for myself, as my other half now rides her own H-D most of the time. But she still loves the back seat of the RSV when she wants to sight see and not ride. The Ultra has a kit for moving the tour pack back about 2-3 inches to give more room, but the foot rests are still an issue for longer-legged passengers. And the heat off the engine is a MUCH bigger issue for Ultra riders than for RSV folks.

My only other suggestion is if you like the RSV and are looking to buy new, check out the revamped Kawi Voyager. Lots of very nice features, 1700cc's, fuel injected, liquid cooled, and no cassette player! :rotf: I test rode it a few weeks ago in Orlando at the Kawi dealer meeting, and really loved the ride. Not sure of the rear seat comfort or positioning, but it looks pretty much the same as the RSV. Personally, I'm going to ride the RSV till the wheels come off.

Yah! When I bought my '09 I also looked at the Wing. Found the Wing riding position uncomfortable, and the one I tried had all sorts of creaky plastic sounds. The RSV was around $2000 cheaper, and a MUCH better warranty, 5 years unlimited miles. The only downside was after several years with my 1st gen and fixed fairin including fixed mirrors on that fixed fairing, I do not like handlebar mounted mirrors, something I never noticed before having fixed fairing mirrors.

There are a few members that haul a camper trailer so you need to talk to then about that. I haul a cargo trailer which sometimes when fully loaded goes around 400 lbs, and other than decreased MPG's I have to look back to make sure it's still there!! As was mentioned, you want to keep these heavy beasts RPM's up to get the full benefit of their power. Forget about 5th at anything below 55 to 60 mph unless you are on flat terrain, going up hills in 5th you lose power...

Lots of good info to think about from folks. It's always good to hear from actual owners. While looking around for one to test drive I will also be looking to see whats out there for sale. No hurry since we have the vtx to ride and staying close to home anyway over the winter. Haven't decided yet if we'll go new or used, may depend on what we can find and any deals that might be out there and how the economy goes. It appears from the history page that each year is a different color or maybe two, not sure if that will be a factor with the wife.

thanks again, Meach

My only other suggestion is if you like the RSV and are looking to buy new, check out the revamped Kawi Voyager. Lots of very nice features, 1700cc's, fuel injected, liquid cooled, and no cassette player! :rotf: I test rode it a few weeks ago in Orlando at the Kawi dealer meeting, and really loved the ride. Not sure of the rear seat comfort or positioning, but it looks pretty much the same as the RSV. Personally, I'm going to ride the RSV till the wheels come off.

There's less passenger room on the Voyager than there is on a Ultra. We tried one and it took only a few minutes before Nina commented about the lack of space. We tried the Ultra several times and she was fine on it, although still not as good as the Venture ... frankly, nothing beats the Venture for passenger comfort IMHO (or I should say... IHHO "In Her Humble Opinion").

My wife and I in July just rode from Houston, TX to just northwest of Boise Idaho on our 2009 Royal Star Venture with towing a traile. Went roughly about 1800 miles in 4 days just about tank to tank, roughly going about 75 to 80 miles and hour. I think the longest stretch in one day was 577 miles. Round trip we did 4100 miles. We are both plus size people and in our mid 50's. We did ok I did better than my wife as I ride my bike everyday. This was my wife's first long rode trip on the bike. It was to hot in July for her, however we had the cool vests and she says if it wasnt for it she wouldn't have been able to make it. But once we got into the cooler states she said the ride wasn't so bad. My wife did get leg cramps from time to time but she has the kick back pegs from Dimond R, and those helped her a lot to strecth out and still have her feet on the pegs. Next year biking to Florida in the cooler months of spring.

Hal n Val :cool10::322:

Meach, I saw that you live a hair south of me. You might need to go to Atlanta to test drive a a bike. Capitol Cycle in Macon doesn't allow test drives. I don't know of a dealer around these parts other than Capitol that might have a Venture or similar to test.

It wasn't 2 up but my son just bought a 03 Midnight Venture and rode it home 613 miles in about 10 and a half hours only stopping for fuel and once to grab a bite to eat real quick and said when he got home his back,butt and legs were still fine to ride even longer he has the utopia backrest on it which I am sure helped.