IGNORED

louder horns????

painterman67

I am looking to replace the horns on my scoot,but I'm not intersted in anything like the steebles.

does anyone know of an electric horn that works better than stock and still looks good. the horn on my wifes honda is loud as h*** and chrome to boot,but when I took hers to the Honda shop they said it was not stock.

Just wondering cause like I said not interested in a steeble set yet.

Thanks for the info in advance

David

Steble horns can now be bought in full custom chrome. One price I saw was about $150 for it. I think current prices for the normal chromed plastic units are around $45-50. Big difference. I would have to see one of them before plunking down that much green for a horn thou.

As to your queston on electric versions I don't have an answer there. Sorry

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

I put a Fiamm electric horn on my 07 Venture. Not sure about the bike you have, but on mine, it was an almost exact replacement, and its louder and higher pitched, and its mounted down under the left lower cowling where no one sees it anyway. I kept the chrome stock horn on the starboard side.

I didnt have to add any relays, and it works fine...and doesnt cost a whole lot. I bought mine at Autozone.

The one I added is a Fiamm #72102, High Tone. To make it fit I had to shave a small amount of the plastic off the new horn, and fab up a small bracket extension, but since its under the cowling, its invisible to onlookers. The sound kinda 'bounces' off the pavement, just like the stock horn, but since this new one is louder and higher pitched, it sounds OK. Not as loud an air horn, but it does OK for what it is. It's rated at about 132 db.

Other members will have different options, I'm sure.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Y2JV92M6L._SL500_.jpg

I've got two Fiams, a steble, and both stock horns on my bike.

The stebel I mounted under the trunk.

I bought a high and a low tone Fiam and mounted them by the front cowling, under the airbox and on top of the crash bar. The high and low are mirror images of each other so one mounted on the left side just right and the other on the right side. The Fiams and the stebel all run off of one relay. Few people even notice the horns... until I hit the button.

In the last pic, you can see I used the straight bracket that came with the horns. I tied into the airbox support and let the horn bell sit on the crash bar. I've put 25 to 30k on the bike since mounting them. No problems yet.

i used a stock horn from a honda valkery with the stock yamaha horn. i mounted it right behind the stock horn and just used 2 jumper wires from the stock horn.it also adds a little chrome and is loud enough to scare the s%&t out of the old people down here.:nanner:

I placed my Stebel under the front fairing (shroud) and it's louder than loud ;)

I left the stock horn on the right side just to keep the spot occupied..

Yeah, I did that too. Definately louder than stock. Made at least one careless driver get back in her lane (in a hurry!).

Yeah, I did that too. Definately louder than stock. Made at least one careless driver get back in her lane (in a hurry!).

I can honestly say that mine saved two lives and caused an idiot driver into a guard rail at the same time. Better the guard rail due to her stupid fault than killing two innocents with the same stupidity.

Cell phones, cars and idiots don't mix.. A driver may not give a biker the same respect or space as a full sized vehicle on the road but when they think there's a semi up their rear, you get the required attention.

Loud pipes saves lives to some degree, but a LOUD horn does wonders..

if you want some loud horns cheap, get some off a salvage 1800 goldwing on ebay. sound just like car horns. they are loud and very compact. there may be some on there now cuz they are parting out a couple of wings. bill :2133:

Is it just the 1800 Goldwing that has the louder horns or would they be the same on some of the other models?

Jerry

I just ordered these from here because they look more like stock to put on my 86venture. They are rated at 136db for the pair and are high and low pitch. Only 3 db less than the steble nautulis on my 06midnight. And these are stebel brand. Should be here monday so we will see how they do.

http://shop.gpecustom.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=18

I have had Harbor Freight air horns on my 1st gen for years and they are loud and work great. I mounted them facing forward under the upper fairing. They are real cheap as in $10 to $15 and easy to hook up. I know you asked about electric horns, but these are good.

RandyA

Would you happen to have any pics of your setup? I've seen them there too, but I wasn't sure how they might look on my VR.

Thanks, Bill

Is it just the 1800 Goldwing that has the louder horns or would they be the same on some of the other models?

Jerry

that i could'nt tell you. all i know is my horns on my 1800 sound like the big car horns of old. i have never used them yet. just not a horn honker. i would rather use the finger gesture, with a few well picked words of old. :cool10::cool10: :)

• 8 years later...