IGNORED

What's the coldest?

JoeFab

I just started riding again after taking a 25 year break. The coldest I’ve ridden so far was 38 degrees and that was this past Monday. I plan on riding at least another month, but I’m going to have to buy some cold weather gear and maybe a full face helmet.

I tell you those lower fairings are great though on the RSTD. My feet haven’t gotten cold yet.:snow:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

last year on Nov. 2 we left St. Louis going to Jasper Arkansas it was 20 dregees when we left at 6 am. when we got to our first gas stop everyone was saying how cold they were and they asked me how come i was not saying that i was cold ,i showed them the cord going from my heated gear to the bike. They said that i was a sissy and i told them that i was just smarter than they were. :rotf:Funny thing is when we got back most of them bought heated gear. leaving St. Louis going to jasper again this friday.

About -30* for me - couldn't really tell what the wind chill was, but I didn't actually ride. Figured with all that ice on the ground it wasn't safe. So I picked up my '87 and carried it 6 miles to work, hoping it would clear up by afternoon. It didn't. Had to carry it back too. Uphill both ways... :innocent-emoticon:

As of now, my coldest ride was 25 degrees F. Coming back into WI from NC. I bought a pair of flip top hunting mittens from Walmart and put chemical hand warmers on both sides of my fingers. Did 742 miles that day.

I promptly purchased electric clothing.

Will be leaving Sunday for a trip to NC returning Nov 1st. No telling how cold that will be.

It will then be time to put away the bike and break out the guns.

RR

Back in the day I'd do low teens occasionally - went through two winters with only two wheeled transportation while living in Kentucky. I remember picking up a used Suzuki 750 Waterbuffalo and riding it home as a snowstorm hit back in the early 80s. I didn't have gloves either. Oh to be young and stupid again!

These days it's not likely I'll be out if it's below freezing. Even then I'm all "geared up"!

Last winter I was out for a weekender and it dropped to 17 F. I had my Clover pants with the thermal liner and they were fine. Had only a leather jacket and a thermal undershirt so I layered up with what I had packed and bought a pair of fleece gloves to wear inside my heavy leather rider gloves. Got by pretty well on the 150 miles back to the house. Got a LOT of strange looks from the cagers.

It's been dropping into the 30's here lately and I ride to work everyday and some of my co-workers think I'm out of my mind. One of them packed his bike up for winter storage when the temps hit 50 the first time.

When I leave for work at this time of the year it is dark so I like for it to be at least 38 to avoid frost. On weekends when the sun is shining I will ride down to the 20s. I was in a car once that got all sideways on a bridge and it was just lucky that it was straight when we came off the bridge. I don't ever want to be in that situation on a bike.

I have ridden in the single digits several times and have been caught in the snow a few times as well. I ride year round 'cept for when the roads are a hazard. There have been times when I have gotten off work and had to chip the ice of the seat. Right now it around 30 degrees every morning when I leave for work. Still riding........

You gotta come up here for a ride in early to mid March around here, Jack, last spring I rode to work a couple times in 0 to 5 farenheit its invigorating.....:rotfl::rotfl:and so much more....lol!

Brian

November 21st last year, still riding at -15* C. No snow yet (got that on the 22nd), but the engine temp went from warmed up to cold in about 2 Km of distance.

About -30* for me - couldn't really tell what the wind chill was, but I didn't actually ride. Figured with all that ice on the ground it wasn't safe. So I picked up my '87 and carried it 6 miles to work, hoping it would clear up by afternoon. It didn't. Had to carry it back too. Uphill both ways... :innocent-emoticon:

You musta met my dad, that was one of his favourite sayings.....:rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

Up until this year, 45 was pretty much the limit on my pain threshold but got some nice insulated roadgear riding pants and a Nitro insulated riding coat this summer. Just sold my Honda ST1100 and bought an RSV and rode it to work wearing the new gear last week, 34 F at my house when I left. Got to work and I was sweating in that gear. I'm guessing I could ride down to 10-15 comfortably now. I'm going to at least try it this winter assuming the roads are clear and free.

linda and i took off one night on my honda 305 scrambler. it was 4 degrees. got about a block from the house and hit some ice patches and headed for home. that was in the early 1970's. cold still don't stop me. it's the black ice i don't like. i ride all winter no matter what the temp. is. i just don't go as far. never winterized a bike in my life. if the bike will start it gets rode. :2133:

As the temps dip down into the 30's at night here in the Carolinas, I was wondering what is the coldest temp that you've ridden in?

With my normal gear on, which is basically a leather jacket and leather gloves, I decide that yesterdays 40 degrees was a bit too cold - but I was pretty good this morning at 46 degrees.

0 degrees at 10,500 ft:snow2: