Finally getting around to the pictures of Mocha's new rear! I used a heat gun and carefully softened the hot glue and pulled the lenses off. Then I ground down all the protruding plastic and filled in all hols and painted. That left a flat surface to mount the LED strips. There are 60 for the running lights, 24 for the brakes, and 9 in each turn signal. Ponch followed me in bright sunlight and reported that the red section washes out but the turn signals show up good. As soon as I get out of the noonday sun it is different. I used self adhesive surface mount LED strips then overglued with clear RTV. I figured the Texas heat might loosen the adhesive eventually. Then I used the clear RTV to put the lenses back on. I think the effect is pretty good. Also, I found out that I had lights behind the lower Yamaha reflector!! Garbage scotch-locks that needed replacing. And the side reflectors have a bulb in the forward edge!! I don't think the sides are stock because of the scotch-locks. The lower might be stock. It took me about 8-10 hours of work and $100.00 worth of LEDs to do this project. The result is priceless if someone notices the bike and I don't get slammed from behind.

JB

The power draw with the LEDs is actually less than the old 194 bulbs. It is a bit intimidating to pull the lenses apart. The biggest thing I can say here is to use an adjustable heat gun. Mine has a variable temp setting beyond low and high. Also as you heat and pull never stop moving the gun. Otherwise you will scorch the lens. Finally work from both ends towards the middle. Otherwise the stress on the lens as you pull may cause enough stress in the middle to crack. Patience is the key. The cleaning and wiring is just tedious. Alot of soldering and thinking.

JB

Well, I dont own a 1st gen but I must say ...that really looks great..

Would like to know if there is any like that for a 2nd gen...??

As Squidley said:

Very nice job JB, I like it a lot! :happy34:

we need more details , where did you get the leds , what size res. did you use , how many leds , the wiring diagram , you know a ' tech ' write up on it , please , please , pretty please !!!

GREAT JOB !!!!

Thom:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Guest ReinyRooster

JB.....if you're selling....I'm buying. I have never been satisfied with that light bar since the day I put it on. I think there are more then a few of us that are interested in a detailed write-up, and pics if possible.

I will sit down and detail my bar light this weekend. THe LEDs are off of ebay but I think I can find a better source. The resistors are built into the LED strips. I haven't thought of doing this as a service but I suppose I could. I enjoy the work. However, I think that I should offer the directions gratis in the spirit of this site. Maybe I could do one for the cost of parts and create a video showing the steps. The other aspect is getting the bar off the trunk. I did mine in place. I think the buggers are glued on!! Or at least mine appears that way. Any thoughts from the rest of you gladly welcomed.

JB

JB,

Anything you want to offer up as far as a writeup is cool, we dont want this to be a partime job for you. It seems like it would be pretty strait forward, My biggest question is about the led strips, the rest I can muddle through. Whatever additional info you can give us is greatly appreciated....thanks again :happy34:

Guest k4sfc@bellsouth.net

Boy, your comments came at a good time for me. I have a 2008 RSV purchased the end of November. There is ONLY one light on the rear of the bike and it's totally inadequate to my way of thinking. I've been looking on the inter-net at Kisan Vectralights and at some of the 6" Light Bars. Even the J.C. Whitney Motorcycle Catalog has some of those. I found one that is bolt on, the others are glue on. All are LED type. I wonder if all of them wash out in direct sunlight? That is good info, even if it's not what I had hoped for.

As to the 2008 lighting problem, the light bar from Custom Dynamics does not wash out in the daylight. Kbay has one on kid bike under the trunk. I followed him and was suprised to see the intensity. Many here have used the same bar with good results.

JB

For the 2nd Gen, I have the Diamond R LED and also the trunk top mounted Yamaha spoiler LED. One thing nice about the Diamond R setup is the Chrome ring. These puppies really light up day or night.

http://www.diamondraccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DRA&Product_Code=15SLEDLB&Category_Code=

These are 15" and just fit between the helmet locks, just pulled the rubber covers down and used the supplied mounting brackets and bolts as I recall.