IGNORED

Current thinking on best oil filter

I am not one to skimp on oil or filters with my cars, so I only buy Mobil 1 oil filters even though they are $10.00 or more per.

I was looking at my maintenance records for my 87 VR and noticed the last filter I used was a Fram CH6002, which presumably I thought was the best available at the time.

So my question is, what is the current thinking as to the best filter for our bikes, regardless of cost?

BTW- You can throw in your opinion on dyno/syn oil as well. I use synthetic for the cars, but have not considered it for the bike as of yet.

do not use a fram , the paper comes lose , i have a strange oil filter rig on mine so i use a diff. oil filter then you , i have tried a lot of diff. oils from Mobile 1 to hd dino. oil the best i have found is rotella t 15-40 dino. works best for me , a lot of us 1 gens use it and its cheap by the gal.

I've used the syn Shell Rotella and it seemed ok. Then I tried the dino Shell Rotella and didn't notice a differance. I now use the dino Rotella. I seem to change the oil every 4000 miles, dosen't matter if its syn or dino. Doing this makes me feel better about myself. :)

Leonard

Opps! I just noticed the title of this post. I use the Hiflofiltro HF303 oil filter. I had a mechanic tell me years ago to stick with filters designed for your bike because they provide a certain amount of backpressure to properly lube the motor. I don't know if that still applys to the modern bikes of today. I suppose I loose the savings of Rotella on this filter, seems the last time I purchased it the cost was 11.00.

Leonard

I would first like to bring a fact to the table.

We ALL tend to over do the oil changing thing.

Yamaha calls for oil change & filters @ 7,000 now that is

4,000 over when we tend to change our oil so the oil filter

never gets a chance to get dirty. In MHO any oil filter will

do it you change at 3k. I use a spin on my ventures and was

told years ago By a Yamaha Rep. that it was 1 ½ times the standard filter.

Fred

:bighug:

First gen filters are hard to find. I buy mine from Tractor Supply. The second gen uses same filter as my atv's. The only in stock supply locally is either Napa or Fram. I have run both no problems so far. Walmart does not stock the super tech filter.Rotella synthetic in everything.