IGNORED

Big Bore Kit inquiry

Just wondering if anyone has put a big bore kit in their venture. I have a 2003.

Is there a kit for the Ventures?

If you have put one in, what has the pre and post install experience been in comparison?

Thoughts on should it or shouldn't it be done.

Thanks.

You can get a 1500cc engine from PCW racing (just Google) for a fee or you can send them yours for rebuild. They specialize in V-Max motors and also do the Venture motors.

I have a buddy with one of their motors and a V-Max rear drive and it is extremely fast. It is a black cherry 06 model, so if you are around central NC don't try racing a stock looking 06 Venture.

:farmer:

Because the VMAX motor is basically the same as the XVZ13 motor in the Ventures, the 1500c.c. "Big Bore Kit" can be installed in the RSV and RSTD motors. Because of the increase in engine displacement, and the thinning of the cylinder walls, (because the cylinder bore has been increased in diameter) your cooling system needs to be in tip top shape as these "big bore" motors run on the hot side. To do this mod correctly, new pistons and rings will need to be purchased as well as a complete "top end" gasket set, in addition to the cost of the machine work, not to mention the Carb. work that would need to be done, and don't forget a pair of free flowing Air Filters! :mo money:

VMAX Cylinder Heads ARE NOT a direct bolt on item for the Second Gen. bikes but the VMAX cams and double springs can be installed in the Second Gen. stock cylinder heads. Being a person that has the "Go Fast Bug" myself, i would never say that a mod like this is not money well spent, BUT there are other mods that could be done for a lot less money and down time that would give you more "Bang for the buck", so to speak. One such mod would be the VMAX final drive, and the other would be the Power Commander control chip. Just resetting the Rev Limiter brings these XVZ13 motor's to life.

Unlike me, If you have deep pockets, by all means, GO FOR IT! But remember that just bolting a bunch of parts on your scoot doesn't guarantee the fastest RSV in the land! I would suggest a dyno run or two in your bikes present form, machine work and parts would be added, Carbs. would be re jetted, Intake air flow and exhaust outflow would be modified, then the bike should be dynoed again, to fine tune the power curve and verify that the mods done did in fact add power to the bike. (In other words, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY)!

Just my thoughts,:confused24:

Earl

Hey Buz,

That is a very good question! To answer this, lets take a look at the RSV motor. The valves in the XVZ13 motor have a single valve spring where the MKI, MKII and VMAX motors ALL have double springs. Without adding the VMAX cams and double valve springs of the VMAX to your RSV/RSTD, 7500 RPMS would be the upper limit of the range and guarantee that you would not float a valve. I am sure that a few RSV's have seen 8000 RPMS but that would be pushing it. With the VMAX double valve springs, my MKII VR sees 10,000 RPMS regularly! But that's a different animal.:Laugh:

Earl

Hi Earl.. don't go too far with this project eh? I'm salivating already but promised myself I wouldn't do any engine mods to THIS bike..

My 2005 VStar went through the big bore high compression kit and it required dual valve springs to take the extra power tossed into it and to increase the RPM lest you start floating the valves.. If I remember correctly the VStar was rev limiting around 6800 but with the springs in, and DYNA3000 set properly you could rev limit it to 7200 or so "safely"..

I would suspect the RSV is going to be doing the same thing but may well require additional cooling..

So this big comfy enjoyable touring bike is soon going to become the wild 'hair on fire' road burner, is it? (uncontrolled salivation)

It's been several years since I installed the Dyna on my '99 but I THINK that Dyna recommended to not go beyond 7250 RPM unless you install heavier valve springs. I don't even remember now if I have mine set at 7250 or 7500.

don,

have you noticed an appreciable difference since the chip and in your opinion is it worth the $$$....??

It makes very little difference in actual HP or torque. In my opinion, the only REAL advantage to it is that it allows you to raiser the rev limiter. If you never hit the rev limiter now, then I would say that it is not worth the money at all.

I have one in my bike and meh, no I can't tell the difference.. Mind you it was the cheaper alternative than buying a new OEM ignition module.. I kept the RPMs limiter down to the normal range..

I posted a Dyno chart here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=533041&postcount=5

This was done several years ago and I'm also 100% sure that it was done at the Dyna facility when Kent was working with them after they first released the Dyna module for the RSV.

The red lines are with stock ignition, the others are with the Dyna installed and a couple of different settings.

I think I found just the thing for you. Check out the Ariel Atom 500. It is basically a street legal ( at least in England) go cart which weighs about 1000 lbs. Mr Hartley joins two Hayabusa engines into a 3.0 l V8 producing 500 hp and 258 lbs of torque. Should fit nicely in the venture. I would advise mounting it transversely.:mo money:

I HATE THIS THREAD IT BRINGS OUT THE WILD TEENAGER IN ME FROM DAYS GONE BY.

AND IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY I AM PROBABLY LUCKY TO BE ALIVE. AND THERE IS ALL THAT MONEY SPENT :mo money::mo money:ON TICKETS :mo money:TICKETS :mo money:AND MORE TICKETS.:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

SO HOW ABOUT SOME DETAILED INFO ON PART NUMBERS AND OPERATIONS INVOLVED FOR THE MKII :big-grin-emoticon: