IGNORED

How to tell...headlight

On the 2nd Gen..how will I know if the headlight bulb burns out?:backinmyday: Will I get an indicator on the dash? Same question for brake light. I am talking about when running during the day as if it happens at night I will be able to tell..:Laugh: .added this last part to head off the smart alics...:322: Thanks

Surely it must be possible to run a small 'pilot' light in parallel with the headlight (or brake light) and place it on a panel in the fairing somewhere to indicate that the things are working, so when they DO fail the pilot lights also fail. Then ya'd know.

No doubt the electo-tech boffins could enlighten us :lightbulb: (ignore the pun).

Guest tx2sturgis
I am talking about when running during the day as if it happens at night I will be able to tell.. .added this last part to head off the smart alics... Thanks

Dang...I was gonna have fun with this one.

:moon:

I have updated my headlight and aux lights to HID and am constantly concerned about one of them burning out. Any time I am behind a PU truck or a minivan, I check for the triangle of light from all 3 HIDs. Haven't had any difficulties in several years.

But to answer you actual question, there is no indicator for either headlight or brakelight failure.

RR

I imagine someone could string some fiber optic filament(s) from the headlight to the dash. This would have the advantage of actually showing if there was light rather than depending on checking for electricity at the light source. Not sure how itr would have to be placed at the light to ensure it was "fed" by the light rather than outside light sources.

Andy

Reflection for the headlight in daytime is th only way I know. As far as the brake light goes, its one of the reasons I added a LED light bar under the trunk. When I first got the bike the wife was following my home from somewhere here in town at night. She said "even as big as this bike is I cant hardley see that single light at night"

(note: the lighting showing up on the bags is actually the reflectors)

It can be done because the 1st gens will tell you if a brake light or tail light or either high or low beam headlight, are out. The first gens even have a circuit so that if a headlight element burns out it will automatically instantly switch to the other headlight element regardless of hi/lo beam selector switch position.

It is possible to build a circuit that would monitor for burned out bulbs.

I have an idea how to do it, I will have to do some cipherin to see if I can come with something easy enough for the average person to build.

Aircraft wiring commonly use what they call current sensors, essentially a relay that is energized if there is current (complete circuit) flowing to the device in question. That current sensor closes or opens a relay type set of contacts to either light an indicator or turn one off. If the device fails or is turned on the indicator lights up or goes out. Should be able to adapt a similar circuit to a bike.

I have two LEDs on my tank pod if I flip the switches to OFF

for my running and head light to tell me if I forgot to turn them back

on or not. not sure if it would tell me if it burnt out or not though.:scratchchin:

I always flip the switches to off if I am working on something that

I have to turn the key on for, so the headlight don't drain my battery so fast.

So Steve, theoreticly if you wired a indicator light to a realy that was grounded thru the headlight ground and powered by the say low beam, if that filament burnt out your indicator would come on?

I'm not worried about it. I figure a good samaritin will tell me if its daylight and the light is off. I mean I ask them about thier eyesight all the time. "Hey you pulled out because why? A:you coulnd see the brite headlight B; The brite red bike blended in with the scenery C: Didnt see the brite a$$ green vest?

Aircraft wiring commonly use what they call current sensors, essentially a relay that is energized if there is current (complete circuit) flowing to the device in question. That current sensor closes or opens a relay type set of contacts to either light an indicator or turn one off. If the device fails or is turned on the indicator lights up or goes out. Should be able to adapt a similar circuit to a bike.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

So Steve, theoreticly if you wired a indicator light to a realy that was grounded thru the headlight ground and powered by the say low beam, if that filament burnt out your indicator would come on?

I'm not worried about it. I figure a good samaritin will tell me if its daylight and the light is off. I mean I ask them about thier eyesight all the time. "Hey you pulled out because why? A:you coulnd see the brite headlight B; The brite red bike blended in with the scenery C: Didnt see the brite a$$ green vest?

Nope, It would be on whether the headlight was blown or not.

Aircraft current sensors are kind of pricey:mo money: But that would work.

I have come up with a simple circuit to light a LED if the bulb burns out.

This circuit I have in mind would not work with LED tail/brake lights without modifications.

The same circuit would/could monitor;

High beam

Low beam

Brake light

Tail Light.

It would be a PITA to monitor turn signals.

What I do not know, is anything about the wire routing of a 2nd gen to determine how hard it would be to hook up. I would need a local guinea pig so I could figure out connection points.

Edited by Flyinfool

Surely it must be possible to run a small 'pilot' light in parallel with the headlight (or brake light).

In Parallel won't work but if you wired something like say and led in series then that would.

Ground from the headlight to the positive of the LED. The led would just have to be able to handle the current. IF either element burned out the led would go off when you switched to the beam. Possibly a relay grounding itself thru the led would work. The relay would carry the load of the headlight.

Guest tx2sturgis

Jeff, what about a simple solid state temperature sensor installed just below the headlight bulb, drilled into the reflector?

200 degrees or more, its shining, 100 degrees or less, its burned out?

A simple LED on the dash to indicate its reading cold, or hot...would that be doable on the cheap and simple?

:think:

I am thinking in the neighborhood of $5-10 per circuit monitored.

An air wound coil of wire and a reed switch with NC contacts, and a LED indicator, maybe a resistor depending on the LED used with some wire and terminals to connect it all up.

Hey squeaky, give me a call.

Edited by Flyinfool

Jeff, what about a simple solid state temperature sensor installed just below the headlight bulb, drilled into the reflector?

200 degrees or more, its shining, 100 degrees or less, its burned out?

A simple LED on the dash to indicate its reading cold, or hot...would that be doable on the cheap and simple?

:think:

That could be possible,

Over the operating temperature range of a bike I don't know what temp range sensor would be right.

What is the temp inside the headlight at 20 deg F vs 120 deg F in the sun.?

I like the ideas swirling around in my poor little head.

It will be on a small circuit board about the size of a postage stamp.

There will be 3 QC (1/4 or .25 Spade terminal) terminals sticking out the side of it.

Getting ready to pull the trigger to order parts to make up 10 of these bulb monitors.

I already have materials on hand to make up the PCBs, just need the components.

Wiring will be simple;

1. Cut the wire going to the bulb you wish to monitor

2. Crimp on a QC terminal to each end of the cut wire.

3. Attach the QC terminals to the module.

4. Attach a wire with a QC terminal to the remaining terminal of the module.

5. Attach the other end of this wire to the Indicator LED.

6. Connect the other lead of the indicator LED to ground.

Edited by Flyinfool

I have updated my headlight and aux lights to HID and am constantly concerned about one of them burning out. Any time I am behind a PU truck or a minivan, I check for the triangle of light from all 3 HIDs. Haven't had any difficulties in several years.

But to answer you actual question, there is no indicator for either headlight or brakelight failure.

RR

:confused24:

What HID light did you install ? and is it worth it ??