IGNORED

How to tell...headlight

With all this electronic McGuivering.... how about fiber optics??? Just thought I'd toss that in there... :) Drill a small hole in the housing and run it to a small hole in the dash. One could get real fancy with the dash cluster....

With all this electronic McGuivering.... how about fiber optics??? Just thought I'd toss that in there... :) Drill a small hole in the housing and run it to a small hole in the dash. One could get real fancy with the dash cluster....

You could, but what fun is there in doing that. Playing with electronics is fun.

Besides, I have access to electronics, I do not have any fiber optics to play with.

That's what I suggested in post #6. Didn't go over well there either.

Andy

That's what I suggested in post #6. Didn't go over well there either.

Andy

Some great minds think alike.... others just love to mess with things electrical... I honestly didn't read #6. I got my idea from Cadillac, where they ran fiber lines off the signal lights up to small fins on the top of each fender. Those were the indicators.. I think it was the same model that had the auto-dimmer on it???

I got my idea from Cadillac, where they ran fiber lines off the signal lights up to small fins on the top of each fender. Those were the indicators.. I think it was the same model that had the auto-dimmer on it???

In the '60's or maybe the '70's most of the luxury model GM cars had fiber optics than ran from the rear light assemblies to a plastic block above the rear window. The driver could see in his rear view mirror if he had light out. Worked well as I recall and now that the thought was brought up here I would think it should work well for our bikes.

Some great minds think alike.... others just love to mess with things electrical... I honestly didn't read #6. I got my idea from Cadillac, where they ran fiber lines off the signal lights up to small fins on the top of each fender. Those were the indicators.. I think it was the same model that had the auto-dimmer on it???

My father had that on his '71 and '73 Cadillacs. It was a small "reverse mini-scoop at the front end of each front fender with three different colours to indicate which light was out. The only problem they can have is to keep out ambient light so that you don't get a false "positive" reading if they pick up light from another source. That would light them up even when the light in question has failed. Still seems like a nice idea to me and there is no power draw.

Andy

All I can say is for those that like the fiber optic idea, go for it.

When we have several systems in use we can easily compare.

The circuit board I have will draw no power, none, zilch, nada, unless the light being monitored has burnt out, and then it will just be a 20mA draw to light an LED.

• 4 months later...
Update - will be replacing halogen bulb with new Cree LED H4 bulb. It is in transit as we speak. So no need to worry about burned bulb after that. :cool10:

I've been looking to upgrade this bike, last one had a 100w bulb and LED markers. Where did you order from?

I've been looking to upgrade this bike, last one had a 100w bulb and LED markers. Where did you order from?

Canadian Cruiser Customizing, they are in BC. Here is the link to what I ordered from their website. I actually ordered a kit of 2 as the shipping cost was the same. :mo money:

Ordered on Tuesday and they where to ship out yesterday, but I have not received confirmation of that yet. This is my first time dealing with them so I am not recommending to use them or not. I want see how this first order goes and then be in a better position to assess. Stay tuned.

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.ca/products/afterburner-led-headlight-direct-replacment-lamps

On the 2nd Gen..how will I know if the headlight bulb burns out?:backinmyday: Will I get an indicator on the dash? Same question for brake light. I am talking about when running during the day as if it happens at night I will be able to tell..:Laugh: .added this last part to head off the smart alics...:322: Thanks

:think: Just ask the 1st Gen in front of You......:whistling: Next question......:innocent:

It can be done because the 1st gens will tell you if a brake light or tail light or either high or low beam headlight, are out. The first gens even have a circuit so that if a headlight element burns out it will automatically instantly switch to the other headlight element regardless of hi/lo beam selector switch position.

It is possible to build a circuit that would monitor for burned out bulbs.

I have an idea how to do it, I will have to do some cipherin to see if I can come with something easy enough for the average person to build.

Dude.....you have way too much time on your hands.

(I'd be curious to see what ya come up with)

PS: It seems like it'd be pretty easy to wire up an indicator through a current sensor.

Just sayin':cool10:

Dude.....you have way too much time on your hands.

(I'd be curious to see what ya come up with)

PS: It seems like it'd be pretty easy to wire up an indicator through a current sensor.

Just sayin':cool10:

One of my hobbies is designing and building electronic do dads.

I have this one all designed and a first prototype built. I just need a local guinea pig/volunteer that has a 2nd gen for me to figure out where and how to mount it.

see pics in above posts.

My first gen has the bulb monitors built in from the factory.