IGNORED

Zumo lock-ups

az1103

For those who have 550's; Just got back from a 4300 mile ride, Zumo locked up three times. Would not respond to anything. The solution is to unscrew the battery, count to ten and replace. It all comes back to normal. Also discovered that some of the route calculations involve some trully idiotic combinations - I guess the programing guys in Mumbai are not as swift as advertised! Also, don't blindly follow instructions ! this thing will repeatedly send you on secondary dirt roads and even off a clif if you are not carefull! Fording streams on dirt roads ain't my bag on a 900 pounder ! Yess, it did happen.

For those who have 550's; Just got back from a 4300 mile ride, Zumo locked up three times. Would not respond to anything. The solution is to unscrew the battery, count to ten and replace. It all comes back to normal. Also discovered that some of the route calculations involve some trully idiotic combinations - I guess the programing guys in Mumbai are not as swift as advertised! Also, don't blindly follow instructions ! this thing will repeatedly send you on secondary dirt roads and even off a clif if you are not carefull! Fording streams on dirt roads ain't my bag on a 900 pounder ! Yess, it did happen.

The Zumo Forums would be the place to check to see if that is a common problem and how it is being addressed.

These things are only imperfect machines. I had mine set for shortest route one time. The highway took a long, big radius curve to the right. The frontage road cut that corner much shorter. The Zumo had me exit the highway for two blocks then get back on again. It was correct... the distance was shorter... the 30 mph speed limit and two stop lights did slow me down a bit though.

The Zumo isn't alone in mapping and routing problems. My Lowrance sent me down a dead end road once. Another time, I was low on fuel on the edge of nowhere. The Lowrance routed me from the edge of nowhere, down gravel roads to the middle of nowhere. Not a gas station in sight... not even a house... not even a gate in the fence! I asked again for the the next nearest fuel and prayed I had enough to get there. I did, and all ended well... other than the jokes I still get from the two other riders that were with me!

Electronics aren't the only things that can get you on the wrong route. I've used paper maps that didn't show roads or worse, showed roads that were no longer there because of new construction. I've learned to shake my head, smile and enjoy some roads I might not have seen otherwise. I sure ain't worth gettin' worried about.

The Zumo Forums Another time, I was low on fuel on the edge of nowhere. The Lowrance routed me from the edge of nowhere, down gravel roads to the middle of nowhere. Not a gas station in sight... not even a house... not even a gate in the fence! I asked again for the the next nearest fuel and prayed I had enough to get there. I did, and all ended well... other than the jokes I still get from the two other riders that were with me!

The GPS put you in the right spot, a cow pasture contains all kinds of gas and best of all, its free :rotf::rotf::rotf:

My Zumo has locked many times and if the + and power do not work. I have removed the battery and it does come back. It is a pain and as it usually quits when you need it most.

At least it comes back but a lot of money for something to not work!!!!I am sure Microsoft had something to do with this as they seem to be able to sell a product that has flaws and fixes to it all the time. :puzzled:

I don't own a Zumo but my Street Pilot 3 will lock-up occasionally if I've loaded the maps at "high" detail. If I load the maps at "medium" detail, I get no lock-ups. Must be some kind of memory issue. When it locks, I hold down the power button until it shuts down then a restart and its fine again for a while.

Wow!! I've been lusting after a Zumo for a while, but now I'm not too sure?? I do have a GPS. An 'El Cheepo' Whistler 550, and it's never locked up, taken me down the wrong road, or failed to lead me to the closest gas station. Once when I went to buy another VR the location was in a very large housing developement with all kinds of streets heading off to nowhere, and it led me right to the place. Turn for turn..short and long. Never missed a beat. The only problem is the screen isn't the greatest in broad daylight. But that is offset by a very sexy voice telling me where to go.... :thumbsup2: :rotf:

In 3 years mine has locked up once when playing with the route but never while underway. In the navigation menu under avoidances there is a choice to avoid unpaved roads, tolls, etc., don't know if you've checked there but worth a look to see what preferences are selected.

My Zumo has locked many times and if the + and power do not work. I have removed the battery and it does come back. It is a pain and as it usually quits when you need it most.

At least it comes back but a lot of money for something to not work!!!!I am sure Microsoft had something to do with this as they seem to be able to sell a product that has flaws and fixes to it all the time. :puzzled:

John,

On my Garmin, the + and power does not work when the unit is powered by the bike. As soon as I turned off the bike I was able to reset it. Seems to only work when it's powered by it's battery.

In 3 years mine has locked up once when playing with the route but never while underway. In the navigation menu under avoidances there is a choice to avoid unpaved roads, tolls, etc., don't know if you've checked there but worth a look to see what preferences are selected.

Not only was the avoidance of unpaved roads checked but there is no check mark for avoiding turns off a cliff ! Which my Zumo indicated, and twice insisted on.

As to the + and power button - that didn't work. And twice it wouldn't turn on at all, whether in the crattle or not and with any combination of buttons untill the battery was removed. There are many "hidden" functions on the Zumo screen which can get you various trouble-shooting screens etc... But to do that the screen must be on. And when it locks-up in the off position then "you can't get there from here" . And quite francly if the Zumo cost $250 , I would say Oh well.... But at a list price closer to a thousand bucks I expect a bit more!!!

Wow!! I've been lusting after a Zumo for a while, but now I'm not too sure?? I do have a GPS. An 'El Cheepo' Whistler 550, and it's never locked up, taken me down the wrong road, or failed to lead me to the closest gas station. Once when I went to buy another VR the location was in a very large housing developement with all kinds of streets heading off to nowhere, and it led me right to the place. Turn for turn..short and long. Never missed a beat. The only problem is the screen isn't the greatest in broad daylight. But that is offset by a very sexy voice telling me where to go.... :thumbsup2: :rotf:

It must be nicer having a sexy voice telling you to where to go ,,,,all I get is gruff loud ones telling me that....and theyre not comng from the GPS either! LOL!:rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

For those who have 550's; Just got back from a 4300 mile ride, Zumo locked up three times. Would not respond to anything. The solution is to unscrew the battery, count to ten and replace.

Had the same issue with my Zumo 550. The firmware was at version 4.3. Garmin released a new version (4.4) mid-August. I updated to the latest version, and my power-on problems have not reappeared.:thumbsup2:

When it locks up, try pressing the + button and the power button at the same time. I find this is like a Ctl-Alt-Del for the Zumo.

You can also be some good advise on the Zumo forums.

RR

The 450 does this as well, and removing the battery is the only thing that will bring it back to live.

Brad