IGNORED

Does whine drivr you nuts?

I bought a V-star after 25 years of non-riding. I discovered I still love riding and surprisingly so does my wife of 2 years. I say surprisingly because she had never ridden before I bought this bike. We like it so much that I thought about buying a RSTD for more comfort on longer trips.

In fact I had fallen in love with them until I found one that I thought was a good buy. It was an '05 with 4K on it. I had the money in my pocket and was ready to buy until I test drove it. It had a loud whine every time I gave it the slightest bit of throttle. I ran from it, but after reading up on it on the internet it seems to be common with this bike. My question is, if you have this whine do you get used to it, or does it finally drive you crazy?

Jim

Edited by eazyduzzit

I had the a v-star just like you. And like you my wife and I rode it everywhere. We too purchased a RSTD for comfort and better performance. I learned to love this bike and will tell you it is the best bike I have ever owned. I did get used to the noise. But the bike is the best.

Mine started as an annoyance and by 4000 km was a screamer. I could hear the whine at 70 mph with windshield off and BUB slip-ons installed, over the wind and pipes. In fact I couldn't hear the pipes the whine was so loud.

After 6 months of the worst factory response (outright lies, delaying tactics, trying to make me sound like the problem) I could have imagined, they finally put in an "I" basket under warranty and it fixed it by at least 85% - just a background noise for now.

And yes its an awesome bike. Though I have "Venture Ultra-ized mine....."

Ahhh - the dreaded whine - yes - it does drive you nuts -some are worsse than others. From what I've read, mine is a "medium" whine. I started wearing earplugs and that sure has helped a lot - not just the whine but wind noise etc.

Cheers

Eugene

I had the a v-star just like you. And like you my wife and I rode it everywhere. We too purchased a RSTD for comfort and better performance. I learned to love this bike and will tell you it is the best bike I have ever owned. I did get used to the noise. But the bike is the best.

I have heard this over and over from owners. That's what made me think I wanted a Royal Star. I was really disappointed when I heard the whine. Other than that I thought it was a great bike.

If my '06 RSTD has a whine, I don't recognize it. Maybe it is what I think of as front tire noise? *shrug* My bike is quiet enough that the wife and I talk regularly even when doing 50mph, and can still talk at 80mph if I turn my head. Perhaps you should try another example because we love ours.

my wife and i started back riding a few years back on an 84 venture. after a short time i realized it was just a trait of that bike and it didn't bother us at all. sold that with 98,000 miles and bought an rstd. the whine with this isn't anything compared to the venture so i am loving this bike.

ride safe and be cool, thumper1

Yes, it is prevalent on the Venture, as it is the same as the RSTD. mine is really annoying until I get above 65 mph, then it pretty much is gone. I'm sure people in cages enjoy it as much as I when I ride near them. More of a chirp than a whine, tho.

Same engine and drivetrain. They just have a radio that they can turn up to mask the noise. But, as stated previously, they don't all do it. Mine is very quiet. This is why a test drive is very important. I think that you were wise to shy away from a screamer.

Guest Ky Hammer

Quote: Thanks Jneed53 for info.

Anybody found Whine from day one at 0000001 miles?

Anyone?

Yup, mine has whined from the time I drove it off of the lot!!

Edited by Ky Hammer

Mine has whined from day one - new. However, some Bub slip-ons and a little time seems to have made me not even notice it any more. I've had a lot of motorcycles over the past 40 years or so, and this one is the best (whine or not). Just my opinion . . . my experience.

Have the same issue with my 05 RSTD. Tends to be in a particular RPM. Shifting up or down will make it stop. Its annoying, buy is outweighed by the other benefits of the bike. As you've read form other responses its the Clutch Basket that is causing the problem. Last I talked with Yamaha, they'll replace it... but... dealer told me sometimes it works, sometimes it gets worse, sometimes it simply changes the RPM level at which you hear the sound. Oh... and they'll only do the replacement 1 time... so if it gets worse... you own it. Hope this helps. It is an amazing bike. Much like yourself, my wife has just started riding over the last year or so. We ride 2 up most of the time and it handles great.