IGNORED

Boost/Pressure sensor

With bike running and warm, pull the little tube coming off of Carb#2 (front left) and apply a little suction to the tube. Should hear a difference in the motor, as this changes timing electronically. You could probably do an electronics test on it also, but this should be easiest.

The unit is located under the TCI, you can reach it by following the tube up to the unit.

Dan

With bike running and warm, pull the little tube coming off of Carb#2 (front left) and apply a little suction to the tube. Should hear a difference in the motor, as this changes timing electronically. You could probably do an electronics test on it also, but this should be easiest.

The unit is located under the TCI, you can reach it by following the tube up to the unit.

Dan

You did check the Vacuum Hose for Leaks during that Process ?

Dan

Being curious and maybe funny at the same time, did you suck on it? Yanno, to pull the vacuum?

Will this not working properly have a negative effect on fuel mileage? my bike used to do 48-50 all the time, it now struggles to get 42mpg

Not saying that your not getting the mileage you mentioned you have got, but I do not know how anyone get's upwards of 50mpg out of a Venture. I have never ever ever got close to 50 mpg no matter how nice I played with the bike and how slow I went. I would love to get 42 mpg right now....my '08 gets about 38 when I play very nice with it

:confused24:

Not saying that your not getting the mileage you mentioned you have got, but I do not know how anyone get's upwards of 50mpg out of a Venture. I have never ever ever got close to 50 mpg no matter how nice I played with the bike and how slow I went. I would love to get 42 mpg right now....my '08 gets about 38 when I play very nice with it

I get 50mpg when you'd think otherwise Brad. And I'm not the only one. And I also know of a couple of 1stGens that only get 25-29mpg. Why? Who knows?? Go figure.....

When i was synching the carbs i had that unhooked, I actually took it for a ride with it disconnected and the vacuum port plugged. it was very sluggish and popped more in the carbs than it had been previously. Could that mean it is working OK?

As for the fuel mileage; I looked at my log book for the trip to Salt Lake last week. One tank i was just cruising around on a mountain pass, riding alone, for the first 60 miles I never got over 50mph, and the rest of the 166 miles on that tank I was on I80 with cruise on at 75mph. Went 166 miles, refuel was 3.9 gallons. Most of my trip was 80-90mph and 140-150miles used 4.4-4.7 gallons. Speed sure kills the mileage.

Kenny,

Dennis and I checked the one on the '86 before you took it, are you having problems with it???

I thought that might be part of the problem with mileage and popping after reading some of the post this morning. May not be, but it was on my watch list aready and thought what the heck. I'm at work and don't have the 86 with me, can't check it out till tonight but I would gladly stop bidding if mine is working. Sorry.

Anybody have a good boost/pressure sensor off an 84-88 that is for sale? Found that mine is bad and I need to replace.

Dan

Dan, go on and bid on this, Sqiud and Dennis say mine is ok that is good enough, besides I have a second bike and am in no hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300252216715&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

Will this not working properly have a negative effect on fuel mileage? my bike used to do 48-50 all the time, it now struggles to get 42mpg

Yes. Part throttle spark advance has a big effect on gas mileage. That's why a mechanism to advance the spark at part throttle exists. You'll never feel this part being bad in the way the bike runs though. It'll run along just fine. The best way is to test it and see if it measures out okay.

Dan, go on and bid on this, Sqiud and Dennis say mine is ok that is good enough, besides I have a second bike and am in no hurry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300252216715&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

I bought a boost sensor from the same seller a week ago.Same picture so he must have a few. The part I got worked perfectly.

Mine wouldn't hold vacuum nor pressure. Has a diaphram inside and a computer pressure sensor. Diaphram leaks and timing goes out of whack.

Bought another as backup from Pinwall but paid 50.00 for the part off a 5000 mile bike. Diaphram is just as old though.:mo money::mo money:

Guest daveor

I used to get 45-50 all the time with my 87 before I sold it to my buddy,, it dropped to below 40 when he rode, no idea why, thinking a more limber wrist, even when we rode together, ( he had an 87 too), I would always do better on gas. DAve

You did check the Vacuum Hose for Leaks during that Process ?

Yes, sir. (BTW--Go Ferrari, Massa, that is!)

Being curious and maybe funny at the same time, did you suck on it? Yanno, to pull the vacuum?

I don't believe I'm gonna touch that one, either!!!! I go to my boys ballgames all afternoon, and LOOK what happens!!!!

A new one is about $350.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl

Only $279.95 at Flatout!!!!!

Appreciate all the comments, got my carbs out today to put new gaskets in my "Twinkie", I'm pulling the plug out and doing a check on the unit tonite. Also found a chunk out of the top of one of the intake boots that could have been leaking, possibly causing part of my low-rpm, high load backfiring and hesitating that I've been experiencing. Sounds like others are having the same problem.

Dan

Kbran & Cap't. thanks alot for the offers. Checked mine with the meter last night...... Open atmosphere to hose. red lead to Black/red wire, black lead to black/yellow wire---- 2 volts output. Apply vacuum(by YOUR choice of application!) voltage drops accordingly to 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 volts. Looking at the chart in the book, seems to be OK. I'll have to look further for the cause of my problems.

Dan

Kbran & Cap't. thanks alot for the offers. Checked mine with the meter last night...... Open atmosphere to hose. red lead to Black/red wire, black lead to black/yellow wire---- 2 volts output. Apply vacuum(by YOUR choice of application!) voltage drops accordingly to 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 volts. Looking at the chart in the book, seems to be OK. I'll have to look further for the cause of my problems.

Dan

I tried the suction thing with the booster on the bike at idle it did nothing then I gave it throttle like 2000 rpm's and then sucked the idle then did change. Should it change at idle or just at higher rpm's? I tried this with two different sensors same thing both checked out with the voltage thing.