IGNORED

no top end response

I have an 07 RSV with 4500 miles on it I have not gotten in to the carbs because I don't want to risk voiding my warranty. I have fattened the PMS 1/4- 1/2 each and synced carb's.

She pulls good off the line but if you are at about 1/8-1/3 throttle and you stab it in any gear above 2nd it will not accl. it does not fall on its face just not accl. No lean popping at all if you stay in it you start to smell very rich exhaust. so I know its either getting too much fuel (my theory) or in efficient combustion. My dealer can not find the problem. tells me that's now a XVZ13 runs BS!!! I have had this bike since 0.4 miles and now my top speed on a flat is 85-90 MPH up a pass 70 MPH. I have had the speedo buried before. Changing fuel makes no difference. tonight I am going to try some seafoam but don't have much hope it that as a cure.

Any suggestions on a good tech/dealer in Seattle area.

I am more than able to find and fix this issue. but you see I turn wrenches all day long, 5 days a week. I bought a Bike with a 5 year warranty. I did not buy a HD for a reason. My dealer reset carbs and said #2 pilot was plugged and #1 almost plugged (why did not that effect the idle and how does that effect top end throttle) I guess I need to go get re trained in carbs 101. The dealer by the way is RMC Motorsports. But the saga continues my dealer tells me that Yamaha will not cover carb issues and charges me $345.00 to tell me that my pilots are plugged and that that is how they run.

Needless to say I will be contacting Yamaha customer service.

I have stepped down from the soap box now thank you all for coming to hear me

In my opinion, Im afraid it sounds like cylinders 1 & 2 are not sync'd with cylinders 3 & 4

One time I UN-sync'd my carbs on purpose making sure cylinders 1 & 2 were NOT in line with 3 & 4, and my bike did the same thing. 80 mph tops....

just my 2 cents.....

Pull the air filters to make sure something hasn't gotten in the air intake and shut the air flow off. With the filters out take a VERY short ride to see if it changes anything. Just my thoughts.

Good Luck:thumbsup2:

Was coming back from 4-Corners Rally in Col. and went to pass a truck doing 80 mph on a sligth incline against a 15 mph head wind, all I could get with full throttle was 79 mph. It seem to me that the bike was under powered. If I had shifted into 4th gear, I probably would have been able to pass him, but I didn't want to continue running in 4th at a high RPM, so I just backed off. Was wondering what to do??? when I had my bike parked next to a couple of other RSV's at "Street Vibrations" in Reno, Nevada, and was listening to them talk about the same thing and the fix for it. They told me to just put in K&N filters, and get a set of Nasty Boys Mufflers. They said it would up my horsepower by 12 without having to re-jet. I took their advice and wala, I could feel the extra power as soon as I went out the driveway. The bike has been stronger ever since and I also picked up 2+ more miles to the gallon. Of course you have to deal with pretty loud mufflers, but I have gotten use to them just using ear-plugs. Can still hear my radio fine with my headset on, and it also leaves that nasty chirp behind where I really don't hear it any more. They don't make the Nasty Boys any more, but I guess it's still the easiest thing to do if you can find another type of muffler like mind and can still take advantage of doing it that way.:080402gudl_prv:

There is no need to modify the bike to make it perform well - These machines in stock configuration have plenty of power and will very easily bury the speedo.

But you clearly do have a problem. On such a new bike, it would seem to be either messed up carbs (from any number of things) or that you are running on only three cylinders. The three cylinder thing has been discussed here several times, so do a search for that info. It is a real shame your dealer is incompetent! There is absolutely NO excuse for them to charge you for a repair while claiming it was not covered by warranty and still NOT fixing the bike!!! To me, that is proof that they either did nothing, or it was unnecessary and the charge is fraudulent. Good luck getting it sorted out - I'd be happy to help if you were closer...

Goose

Was coming back from 4-Corners Rally in Col. and went to pass a truck doing 80 mph on a sligth incline against a 15 mph head wind, all I could get with full throttle was 79 mph. It seem to me that the bike was under powered. If I had shifted into 4th gear, I probably would have been able to pass him, but I didn't want to continue running in 4th at a high RPM, so I just backed off. Was wondering what to do???

You need to drop down to 4th and run it till it don't run any faster. You will not hurt the bike in 4th gear going only 80. You can do 115 easy for miles and miles in 4th gear. You can do 95 in 3rd gear. Try it! It will not hurt your bike.

One other thing, pull the gas tank and look at the top of the carbs. Make sure that the boots are seated properly on top. I had a similar problem and one of the things that I found was that the carbs were sucking air at the top due to the boots not being down on the top of the carbs. Also, do NOT overtighten them if that is the case. After much struggling trying to get them to stay on, I discovered that if you get the clamps too tight, it will force them off again.

Otherwise, I would be looking or a possible bad coil.

Pull the air filters to make sure something hasn't gotten in the air intake and shut the air flow off. With the filters out take a VERY short ride to see if it changes anything. Just my thoughts.

Good Luck:thumbsup2:

Been there done that

I have an 07 RSV with 4500 miles on it I have not gotten in to the carbs because I don't want to risk voiding my warranty. I have fattened the PMS 1/4- 1/2 each and synced carb's.

She pulls good off the line but if you are at about 1/8-1/3 throttle and you stab it in any gear above 2nd it will not accl. it does not fall on its face just not accl. No lean popping at all if you stay in it you start to smell very rich exhaust. so I know its either getting too much fuel (my theory) or in efficient combustion. My dealer can not find the problem. tells me that's now a XVZ13 runs BS!!! I have had this bike since 0.4 miles and now my top speed on a flat is 85-90 MPH up a pass 70 MPH. I have had the speedo buried before. Changing fuel makes no difference. tonight I am going to try some seafoam but don't have much hope it that as a cure.

Any suggestions on a good tech/dealer in Seattle area.

I am more than able to find and fix this issue. but you see I turn wrenches all day long, 5 days a week. I bought a Bike with a 5 year warranty. I did not buy a HD for a reason. My dealer reset carbs and said #2 pilot was plugged and #1 almost plugged (why did not that effect the idle and how does that effect top end throttle) I guess I need to go get re trained in carbs 101. The dealer by the way is RMC Motorsports. But the saga continues my dealer tells me that Yamaha will not cover carb issues and charges me $345.00 to tell me that my pilots are plugged and that that is how they run.

Needless to say I will be contacting Yamaha customer service.

I have stepped down from the soap box now thank you all for coming to hear me

Which dealer in the Seattle area did you go to?

A lot of us have been buying OEM parts from South Seattle Yamaha Sports Plaza. They have been great for parts. Maybe their service is good also.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/

You have got a dead cylinder probably from a bad coil pull the plugs and you will probably find one washed clean. Smell your oil fill plug you will probably smell gas from the dead cylinder.

Start the bike, warm it up to where you are off the choke, put your left palm behind the left pipe your right behind the other . Compare pulsing, does it feel th same? Smell your palms - does one smell more like gas than the other? Have someone raise the idle while you are doing this, any change?

You mention you enriched the idle, why? Did you do that yourself? Do you have the tools to check synch? It's a 10 min job and might answer a lot. Have a tach? Is it throbing?

Sounds like more questions than answers but if you havent gone through those yet it might help....

And one more thing, You say at 1/3 throttle it wont accelerate.... That would indicate you have no tach..... But do it again and at the point where it luggs pull the choke - just a tweak. If it's starved it will accelerate if it's rich it will miss and drop off. If it does either severely it's in the fuel delivery or carbl - not electrical.

Here is what I have done to isolate my problem with no results.

synced carbs

eliminated A/F temporarily

checked for fuel contamination in oil

removed and inspected plugs, Installed Iridium's

(#2 looked awfully white to me)

caused a Ignition missfire to rule this out (It runs way too smooth to be Ignition missfire)

Checked for a vacuum leak with my propane wand. No change in RPM's any where.

Freebird and Gearhead both have great ideas but

I am convinced it is not a lean condition due to the smell of very rich exhaust when I stay in the throttle and I have no lean missfire what so ever.

I am Leaning more towards a weak coil not delivering a hot enough spark under a heavy demand but not so weak as to cause a missfire.

I should have a new Fuel filter by Friday so I'll replace it just for GP.

This really sucks as I leave on the 22nd for a 9 day 3000 mile trip. I hope if I don't have her fixed that she makes it.

And one more thing, You say at 1/3 throttle it wont accelerate.... That would indicate you have no tach..... But do it again and at the point where it luggs pull the choke - just a tweak. If it's starved it will accelerate if it's rich it will miss and drop off. If it does either severely it's in the fuel delivery or carbl - not electrical.

done that too. does not help just continues to bog. Rich is what I say

I am convinced it is not a lean condition due to the smell of very rich exhaust when I stay in the throttle and I have no lean missfire what so ever.

Did you have any black spark plugs? Fuel level too high would cause rich.

As for the weak coil, could also be a weak plug wire. In that case it would put on a light show under load in the dark as it sparked to ground.

Jeremy

All ways have air filters in place, as it controls air flow and CARB SLIDES. If you are using air filter than requires oiling, try cleaning and road test. NO filter will float the slides and create a rich fuel action. Drain carbs and look for contaminated fuel. Sync carbs for smooth idle, polite jet idle to 1/3 throttle, needle 1/3 to 2/3 throttle, main jet 1/3 to full throttle.