IGNORED

Did my good deed for the day

Midrsv

I pulled up to my local auto parts store at about 7:00 this evening to pick up some spark plugs for my RSV and I parked next to a young guy and his Vstrom. He had the seat off and was starting to take the plastic off. We exchanged hello's and commented that he hoped I didn't have his problem. A short in the electrical system due to melted insulation on several wires that had made contact with head. As I walked away to go in and get my spark plugs I noticed that he was from out of state with an Arkansas plate. When I came out I asked what I could do to help. While Riley (the owner) had fortunately found the short it was in one of those places that you could see but couldn't reach into. Neither he nor I had ever worked on a Vstrom. After I had assured him that I would not leave him stranded we spent the next 2 hours in the parking lot stripping the bike down by taking off the fairing and tank in order to get access to the wires. The store personnel were great in that they let him borrow tools from the shelf. We managed to get enough slack in the wire bundle and separate the melted wires in order to wrap them with tape. While we worked we got to know each other a bit and I found that he is a photographer who shoots weddings. So do I, or I did. So we were able to talk photography as well. Just as dark fell we had the bike back together and running well. He had another 40 miles to go tonight to make his next stop. He was very appreciative of my help and I enjoyed helping a fellow rider out. Hopefully, I'll get my spark plugs installed tomorrow night.

DT

Edited by Midrsv

That feeling of helping somone, does make you feel better than any monitary payment

You've got that right. I had a smile on my face all the way home. It also helped that this was a really nice guy and he seemed to sincerely appreciate the help.

DT

DT, your action is a perfect illustration of what's needed in our world. Many people will wait until someone else does a good deed for them, and then feel that they need to "pay it back". In reality, we all need to realize that the world would be so much better if we'd all practice the "PAY IT FORWARD" philosophy, just like you did. What we "pay forward" will be waiting there for us when we arrive at the point where we need it.

God bless you!

Joe

Hi DT,

That act of random kindness will come back to you tenfold my friend!:banana:

Earl and Jean

This is a sentiment that I share as well . Paying it forward is such a good feeling. Thanks also for repesenting VR with such a big heart. I hope to meet some one like youif ever I'm in need.Phil

Way to go, DT!!! Doesn't it make you feel great to be of help to someone?!!? I totally agree with "Pay It Forward" and practice it whenever I can as well. What goes around comes around. You have made the world just a little bit better to live in...

:2133:As I started reading the post, I was going to reply that our company's motto is to "Pay it forward"....I was suprised to see all the follow up posts with the same thoughts!!

You can be sure this young man will stop the next time he sees someone in need when he remembers what you did for him!

Kudo's to you and how terrific it was for him that you were there for him!

Speaking of paying it forward, today I was telling this story to my brother and how Riley, the Vstrom rider was on his way to Bagdad, KY (a really small place in Shelby County) for some type of conference or camp. My brother immediately replied that he had heard about the camp on the radio. It is some type of gathering of children of Iraq war military personnel at a Christian Camp there. I'm speculating that this young man was probably some type of counselor on his way to help there. Once again, a biker out to do some good.

DT

I particularly liked where you said that "you assured him that you weren't going to leave him stranded". These days, oftentimes the best one can get when stranded is "it sucks to be you". The concept of being a good Samaritan is all too rare anymore.

Way to go!

Pete.