IGNORED

fuel petcock

Guest Moby

Well if you leave the shut off valve in one postion for a long time it sure is hard to turn and there is an O ring in there you can damage if it gets stuck.

Was that an answer?

Jerry

Now that depends,,, how far away from a gas station would you like to be stranded??? :think: :confused24: :crying: :rotf:

Think of the reserve setting on your petcock as a safety device. This safety device will keep you from being stranded miles from a gas station. Would you disarm a safety device if you knew that there was a chance that you could be stranded in the middle of no-where, not knowing which way to go to get help??? :no-no-no: :bang head::bang head::bang head:

By the way, you aint lost if you aint out of fuel...:thumbsup2:

I like to leave mine on reserve.

this way I know I have 24 miles, before she gos dry

Sorry but this statement doesn't make sense. If you keep it on reserve how do you know when to start counting the miles?

Me personally I leave mine on "on" and only move it to reserve if I actually hit reserve, which for me is usually every 2 days.

If you keep it on reserve, the light will come on and then the miles will start counting down. I always keep mine on reserve and when I have used about 4.3 to 4.5 gallons, the miles will go to 0 and start counting up. I start looking for gas then.

Earl

If you keep it on reserve, the light will come on and then the miles will start counting down. I always keep mine on reserve and when I have used about 4.3 to 4.5 gallons, the miles will go to 0 and start counting up. I start looking for gas then.

Earl

now that you say that I remember mine did that, I usually dont let it get real low and try to put gas in it after 140 mile or in that area before the light comes on. How far can you go when the milage start over again?

I switch mine to reserve when I start to run out. I have an 07 and read that someone on this site goes about another 40miles before filling up.

I thought I would test mine as the odometer counts up. I only went 28 miles before I chickened out and gased up. I then fliped the switch back to the on.

I like the added safety, just in case the fuel light doesn't come on, or the millage doesn't change to count up. Lots of safety's, but I like it that way. I have never run out of gas in 25years and I never want to.

now that you say that I remember mine did that, I usually dont let it get real low and try to put gas in it after 140 mile or in that area before the light comes on. How far can you go when the milage start over again?

I've pushed mine to 50 miles babying it... Once you switch to reserve after it sputters in the on position you have .9 gals... usually my counter is already at 5 - 10 miles you have a good 30 miles riding normal...

I run mine in the ON position all the time until I need reserve... I've had my gas gauge fail (replaced under warranty) before... I don't use the OFF position except for storage .. I don't think it's that big of a deal with an electric fuel pump... The OFF position doesn't drain the carbs so if kids are cranking your throttle you could still be flooded as the bowls are full... Unless you turn it to the OFF position and run the carbs dry.

I leave mine on reserve. I do not ignore the low fuel light or the fuel gauge. The reason I like to be on reserve is that sometimes I need to get out of someones way by gassing it. If the petcock is on, on and you run out of fuel the engine will starve for fuel and the bike will loose power. Wouldn't want that to happen at an inopportune time.

Earl

Ya but he has a early Venture that doesn't have this feature........The miles won't start counting up....

Well if you leave the shut off valve in one postion for a long time it sure is hard to turn and there is an O ring in there you can damage if it gets stuck.

Was that an answer?

Jerry

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH BOO.... IF YOU DON'T USE IT YOULL LOOSE IT! :happy34:

Knew a guy that burned down his house after he pulled his scooter in the garage, closed the door and forgot about it. Float stuck, overflowed, water heater ignited it.

I have always been in the habit of turning the fuel off when I stop.

I use mine all the time, when I go into places like the local Mall or at work I turn off the fuel petcock. Those pesky kids love to turn the throtte on BIG bikes... Vrrrrm Vrrrm.

:2cents:

Newfie Bill

Paradise, NL

99 RSV

It don't matter the only thing that happens is they open the throttls air valves which doesn't do any thing excepts open the air valves but no gas since there is no vaccume to open the slides which open the main jets so no gas no problem.