IGNORED

Trip-WI,IL,IN,KY,WV,VA,NC-Assistance

Atwell fireman

I am riding a 2005 RSTD from WI back home to NC. I am doing this this coming Sunday 27, Monday 28, and Tuesday 29 if I need a third day. My route is from Madison, Bloomington, Indianapolis, Louisville, Charleston, Beckley, Wytheville, to final destination of China Grove which is near Charlotte. I would like to compile a list of riders that could be a in case of emergency contact if I run into problems along the way and offer any suggestions about issues along the route I have selected to come home. I mostly need to travel the interstate due to time but some minor route changes would be fine. This will be my first long distance trip and the first ride in quite some time. Thanks for any help and look forward to maybe running into a few members along the way.

Atwell, as I posted in the previous thread about you flying up to get your bike (you probably haven't seen it), I would be glad to ride thru Indiana with you. Don't know how far you will make it on Sunday, but will be glad to meet up with you for the ride down to Louisville. We've got many people throughout here that will be glad to help if needed. Give me a call on my cell at 317-370-0139 and be glad to talk with you. I didn't know if you'd be going down 65 or on down 74 to Cincinnati and then down I-75 towards your area. Traffic on 74 is much lighter than 65, with a WHOLE lot less trucks to mess with. Just a thought.

Dan

Atwell,

I HIGHLY recommend you route around Chicago. The construction on the tollways is brutal. Head south thru Rockford to Normal on I-39. Head East (Save my life, I'm going down for the last time - sorry for the musical interlude) on I-74 to Indy.

It's a few more miles, but will take less time and be a lot less frustrating.

If it's still open, stop at Char's Steakhouse in Beckley, WV. Mmmmmmm..good. Rumor has it, it was opened by the local Madam after her previous business was laid to rest (yes, pun intended).

You are already starting south of me. If you have trouble getting going, give me a call. Number is in my profile.

Did you purchase this bike from an inmate in VR?

RR

Atwell,

I am in Illinois 1/2 mile south of the Wisconsin border and about 30 miles east of Rockford. If you need anything just give me a call, my number is in my profile.

I was just on the bypass around Chicago about two weeks ago, the only construction going on is on the south side and they still have three lanes south bound. Oh almost forgot there is also some construction just as you make the switch from 80/94 to I65, just a few miles though.

The route down I 39 is probably an easier ride but I think it's probably one to two hours longer. If the traffic don't scare you take the shorter route.

I'm going to Asheville in a couple of weeks and I will be taking the Chicago route around to I 65 and the same coming back. I will be in fact taking the same route this weekend when I go to southern Indiana.

Take the route you will comfortable with and good luck,

Jerry

If you run I-90E to I-294S to I-80 E into Indiana during the hours of 10 am -200 pm and I mean ending your trip through Illinois at 200 pm traffic should be OK. Just remember you will have tolls about 7 of them at 80 cents apiece. Near the WI border I think its $1.40 for the first one. Should shave off many miles.

I am riding a 2005 RSTD from WI back home to NC. I am doing this this coming Sunday 27, Monday 28, and Tuesday 29 if I need a third day. My route is from Madison, Bloomington, Indianapolis, Louisville, Charleston, Beckley, Wytheville, to final destination of China Grove which is near Charlotte. I would like to compile a list of riders that could be a in case of emergency contact if I run into problems along the way and offer any suggestions about issues along the route I have selected to come home. I mostly need to travel the interstate due to time but some minor route changes would be fine. This will be my first long distance trip and the first ride in quite some time. Thanks for any help and look forward to maybe running into a few members along the way.

We're in Louisville, if you get in a bind in our area feel free to call my the number is in my profile, we're about 35 miles north on I-71 from Lousiville.

Ride safe and have a great trip.

Hey Boo, you coming down to ride with us on Saturday???!!!:7_2_104[1]:

No I wish I was but I have other obligations. Hate to admit it but my high school class is celebrating our 45th reunion this weekend.

I grew up in a little town called Shoals and I was just there few weeks ago with my son for their annual Catfish Festival. Some of the best riding around. My son and I spent the weekend of the 4th riding the back roads of Martin County.

Jerry

Have a safe trip and I'm located in Winchester, Ky. It's on the east side of Lexington on I-64 which you'll be on while headed to Charleston where you'll get on I-77, I suppose. I'll be in and out of the house so if you need anything call me: 1-859-749-0181.

Eddie

Hi Atwell,

I'm afraid I'm unable to ride right now (appendix), but I live immediately off of 465 at the 10th Street exit (first exit after 74 hits 465). If you need ANYTHING, including a break, please don't hesitate to call. 317 919 6743. I have a lot of free time right now and 465 is nearly in my back yard.

Now, if I can just get the Doc to change that weight limit...

Hey Fireman that's only like a 900 mile trip... That's a touring bike you got there... That's doable in 1 day... I've done 2000 miles in 2 days before on my RSV... If you just want to run daylight hours you should be home for supper on the 2nd day.. good luck with your ride..

You Got my ph# in profile too. One More suggestion. Make sure you get gas on North side of Chicago, or Interstate oasis gas stations, If you run out of gas on Southside of chicago, you can get in some not realy welcome neighborhoods. As Jimbob5 said, if you get trough Chicago Between 10 AM and 2 PM trafic is prety light. You Can Avoid Toll road, if you take 41 N ( First Exit when you pass WI / IL State Line. 41 North will take you in to I 94 east, and is fast as expressway, just few extra stop lights.

Have Fun and safe trip.:thumbsup2:

Edited by stardbog

You Got my ph# in profile too. One More suggestion. Make sure you get gas on North side of Chicago, or Interstate oasis gas stations, If you run out of gas on Southside of chicago, you can get in some not realy welcome neighborhoods. As Jimbob5 said, if you get trough Chicago Between 10 AM and 2 PM trafic is prety light. You Can Avoid Toll road, if you take 41 N ( First Exit when you pass WI / IL State Line. 41 North will take you in to I 94 east, and is fast as expressway, just few extra stop lights.

Have Fun and safe trip.:thumbsup2:

I94 East is a crazy expressway people darting all over the place at all different speeds. And whats considered the South side of Chicago along there is not a place to get broken down unless your in the right gang. I would probably use 294 S instead avoids all this.:shock3:

Yeah, I too prefer to run 294 rather than 94. I feel a little safer out there.

Either way you go you really have to pay attention to everyone around you. I also agree with the time frame. Sometimes I run the toll road mid morning and the traffic is not to bad. OR 4 am works really good.

Just be careful and good luck with the new bike,

Jerry

"... You Can Avoid Toll road, if you take 41 N ( First Exit when you pass WI / IL State Line. 41 North will take you in to I 94 east, and is fast as expressway, just few extra stop lights. "

Slight clarification, it's 41 South. :big-grin-emoticon:

I live about 15 mins West of I94, near the NE corner of IL. There is still a TON of construction up this way on I94, take 41 South instead cause the lane changes and such on I94 up here are crazy. Not to mention, you're riding on what was the shoulder in some cases.

Besides, if you go down 41S, you can stop at Fatmans for a bite to eat. Just a bit South of WI, a popular biker stop.

Agree with the other comment, "you're on a touring bike", 3 days? When I bought mine in LA recently, I rode 1115 in two days(stopped by tornadoes), 750 on the last day and coulda done more.

But I guess if ya got the time, enjoy the sights.

No matter when you come through Chicago, there will be traffic.

Safe ride, feel free to call if you need assistance in the NE area of IL.

847-644-5695

I want to say thanks to all who responded. I have compiled a list with contact numbers in case I run into trouble. I fly up tomorrow and I am looking forward to the trip home. 1000 mile trip to some is a cake walk but this will be the longest trip I have ever taken on motorcycle. I attempted a trip to Madison in car one time with the intention of making it in one day. I made it to Chicago and was like a zombie. I got three days if needed, but I hope this means some time to make some tourist stops along the way. I want to make the most of this trip since it maybe a long time before another long distance trip is in the works. If in NC, feel free to call me and hopefully I will get to meet some of you in the near future.

Martin

My plans for Saturday as in post #12 has changed, if you wish wife and I can meet you near Louisville on Sunday and ride to Charleston with you. Weather is calling for rain here on Sunday!

My plans are to ride to Louisville on Sunday and stay the night. I will not be heading to Charleston till Monday. The weather has changed the last few days from all clear sailing to chances of rain in just about each town. I just love the weather people's predictions.

I cannot get away on Monday to ride with you but, if you have problems just call and I'll get away anyway. Like I said earlier, I have an enclosed trailer, and a capable diesel truck to drag it, most any tools you would need, and if all else fails I also own a rollback crew cab. I have a shop in Lexington(machine shop) where we could beat, bang, fix, weld, or simply tear up most anything.

I cannot get away on Monday to ride with you but, if you have problems just call and I'll get away anyway. Like I said earlier, I have an enclosed trailer, and a capable diesel truck to drag it, most any tools you would need, and if all else fails I also own a rollback crew cab. I have a shop in Lexington(machine shop) where we could beat, bang, fix, weld, or simply tear up most anything.

Dang, Bob, you must own a 2nd gen:rotfl::rotfl::mo money::doh::whistling:

Just Skiddin',

Dan