IGNORED

How long can you stay seated?

I have searched the threads to which I have not found the answer I was hoping to find.

The question is this, How long can you stay seated on your stock seat before it begins to become uncomfortable. Miles or lenght of time I guess is what I am looking for.

It might not be the seat either, just the idea of sitting there not really moving alot.

Thanks,

David

Best I can do is 2 hours. I have 2 seats. The stock seat is not completely stock. I took it apart and added a couple of layers of carpet padding. The trick as far as I can see it, is after a while to shift your weight around. Such as leaning on one cheek for a while then the other for a while then back to center.

Best I can do is 2 hours. I have 2 seats. The stock seat is not completely stock. I took it apart and added a couple of layers of carpet padding. The trick as far as I can see it, is after a while to shift your weight around. Such as leaning on one cheek for a while then the other for a while then back to center.

Thanks Buddy for that honest answer, that is what I am looking for.

Thanks again,

David

Guest nemo_gypsy

Most I've done so far is 1000 miles in less than 20 hours. Yes, Straight. Maybe around mile 700 or so did I really think much about my butt. I was just a lil numb for about a day. I enjoyed it. :)

I had a Valkyrie and spent a lot of money on an aftermarket seat. My opinion was that it wsn't a whole lot better than the stock one from the factory. I was dissappointed really. I have one artificial hip and arthritis some in the other one. I think comfort in the saddle has as much to do with our physical well being as it does with what kind of seeat we have. I need to lose weight and I would be much more comfortable. I have a gel pad for my bike now. On really long trips I take it and use it after awhile. Then I switch back and forth during the trip in order to change the seating geometry a little now and then.

The other thing I have often told people is that anytime we put our weight on such a small area for any length of time, add bouncing up and down to the mix, we'll get sore.

As others have said, I also try to get off every few hundred miles or at gas stops and walk around for a few minurtes to get the blood flowing again.

My 2cents...

Being totaly honest now, all any one of us can do here is about 160 to 175 miles tops...

then we have to stop and get gas and just by doing that causes enough blood flow in the rear cheeks and legs to go another 165 to 175 miles until its time for another fill up..

riding all day doesnt count..if you get up off the seat at all...games over!

Stock 99 seat on my first RSV was uncomfortable to me and I could not go more than 50 miles before it was becoming unbearable. I rode about 160 miles to Myrtle Beach, with one stop to stretch and get gas and was regretting it all day. While in Myrtle Beach I had a Carolina Butt Buffer installed in the seat which made the ride home that same day better but since I already had Monkey Butt it still was not a fun ride. After recovering from MB I was able to ride further without a lot of pain but it still wasn't perfect. I had to get a sheepskin from Alaska Leathers because the butt buffer would get really hot during the day and take forever to cool off so that in it's self was torture.

My current 99 has the pillow seats on it and they are much better for me. I have gone on all day excursions without any hot spots. Usually putting over a hundred miles at a time without any pain. I haven't ridden a complete tank which would be close to 3 hours yet but I think it would be no problem. I prefer a softer seat while some prefer a harder one. My pillow seats offer me a soft ride and if for some reason my backside starts to hurt I just put the sheepskin on and continue. The one thing I have noticed between the pillow and the 99 seats is that on the 99 seat I would get localized hot spots and the pillow doesn't do that to me, but the feeling is spread out over a larger area and not near as intense. A simple shift in the seat is usually enough to make any discomfort go away instantly. Not so with the 99 seat.

If you are having Monkey Butt problems then I would suggest getting a sheepskin to put in the saddle bag and alternate riding with it on and off. It makes a world of difference, plus it is nice to have to put on a hot seat and save your backside.

I'm like Salty Dog. About every 120 or so, I stop, get gas, a coke, something, just get things moving again. I've been known to go farther, if really in a hurry, but I'm rarely in a hurry when on the scoot. I get on it to SLOW DOWN, my job is plenty stressful.

Smell the roses when you can, tomorrow they just be briars.

I used the stock seat for about a year. After that much time getting used to the bike I decided I was never going to be comfortable in the stock saddle for more than about an hour. I did several rides that were 500 - 600 miles. Always glad to get to take a break for gas. When new the seat would start to hurt after only 40 minutes.

I switched to a Mustang seat. It is MUCH better. It may not be the right choice for taller people because it forces you forward onto the tank. That position makes you bend your knees and can put your knees higher than your butt. I'm pretty tall and use a 1&1/4 inch sheepskin pad on top of the Mustang seat to get my legs in a better position. With that setup I'm good for all day rides only stopping for gas. If I had forward controls on my highway pegs It would be the best ride on the road (IMHO).

On my Venture w/ pillow seat 150 miles/ 2.5 hours, stop, refuel and get a drink, do it all over again. 800 miles is my longest day. The RSTD w/ stock seat about 75 miles and my but is starting to hurt. Just changed to a Mustang seat, haven't had a chance to give it the distance test yet.

When young....could go all day but for gas stops. Now...I do look forward to gas stops to get my fat butt off the seat.

Usually though after a couple months riding season the butt is "trained" and the rides dont feel so long.

I sure like the stops for gas...chance to stretch, walk a bit and generally sort of unwind a bit. Its about the ride and not the speed I get there...for me anyway.

Guest SALTY

Im good for the length of the tank on the pillow top. I did do two 1000km rides back to back once..it was gruelling but we did it two up!

Wouldnt recommend it to much i think a tank of gas is long enough, the body needs another position for a short stretch

Guest SALTY
When young....could go all day but for gas stops. Now...I do look forward to gas stops to get my fat butt off the seat.

Usually though after a couple months riding season the butt is "trained" and the rides dont feel so long.

I sure like the stops for gas...chance to stretch, walk a bit and generally sort of unwind a bit. Its about the ride and not the speed I get there...for me anyway.

Hey Rick How are you guys? How was the holiday?

We'll be in portage la Prairie night of Aug 2 nd on the way to the CAV Gathering with Gen Mackenzie Aug 3-6. you should go and see some old friends i bet!

Salty