IGNORED

Noise when leaning

I guess this is my first real post since joining a few weeks ago. I finally found and bought an '07 Venture this past Sunday. I also have a Road Star that I know pretty well now since I luv to tinker. FYI, I'm coming from having nothing but H-D's for the last 32 years.

Here is my problem. (Or not, may be normal for this bike) I have noticed in a lean that there is a sort of grinding noise (guess I feel it more than hear it) that gets more pronounced as you lean more. There is hardly any noise when riding straight up.

The PO gave me a new tire for the front that I had installed and now it's less noticeable but still there. The guy that installed the tire said the bearings felt ok.

Any ideas?

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I have an 08 tour deluxe and my bridgestone tires howl like a wolf when in a lean. Can't wait for them to wear out so I can get some avons. There are many threads on here about similar problem. Just noisy tires I guess.

Run your hand over the rear tire. If it feels cupped on the edges that's your noise. The Michelin Commanders are noisy in the turns brand new. Good news is the bike has a 5 year warranty.

:sign yeah that: When they cup they get louder, Avons have been the quietest tires I have use thus far

Welcome to the forum!

As someone stated above, it's most likely the tires. Switch to Avons now if you can afford it. You'll be glad you did! BTW, what made you switch from HD after so long?-Jack

I figured tires. The rear was installed 4000 miles ago (per the previous owner) and he had a new matching front that he have me so I'm sorta stuck with these (I'm cheap) unless there is a problem with them. I'll check closer for cupping on the rear. They are Metz 880's. :doh: I put Avon Venoms on my Roadie as soon as I got it and luv'em.

As far as changing to Yami from H-D... The last few H-D's had been uncomfortable and underpowered plus everytime I rode my back and knee acted up within 30 miles so I had decided to stop riding. After about 3 years my wife made a comment about missing riding so I decided to get something similar but less expensive just to see if I might be able to ride again. The closest thing I found to what I was used to was a Yami Road Star. I now call it a "FatBoy done right". It handles and rides much better than any softtail I've had and no knee or back pain.

The reason I got the Venture is because I wanted a bike I could change to my taste (MY bike, the Roadie) and one for us both (OUR bike,the Venture). :big-grin-emoticon:

FYI, I just noticed that we have the same Venture! 2007 Galaxy Blue/Raven

Edited by BigBoyinMS

Wow, you just muddied the water with that reply! Metzeler 880s on the RSV are quite dangerous IMHO (research many other threads on Metzeler here), but to the best of my knowledge, they don't howl in a lean. They have the same type of tread pattern as Avons and Dunop E IIIs, which are some of the quietest tires you can get! Need to cogitate on this a while to try and grok what is really happening.

Goose

Well, I guess I'm not going to be riding it much till I can find time to get the rear off the ground and check it out more. I took a quick look and it's either cupping or the "squares" are delaminating. The corners of some (or all) of the "squares" are higher than the rest of the tire.

The more I read, the more I think the way to go on the rear is... :stirthepot: a car tire.

Well, I guess I'm not going to be riding it much till I can find time to get the rear off the ground and check it out more. I took a quick look and it's either cupping or the "squares" are delaminating. The corners of some (or all) of the "squares" are higher than the rest of the tire.

The more I read, the more I think the way to go on the rear is... :stirthepot: a car tire.

http://lifeisaroad.com/images/darkside.jpg

Like others have mentioned I suspect it might be the tyres.

I have been riding for over 30 years and never heard a set of tyres whine like the Dunlops do when you lean the bike. At first I thought I had a problem somewhere in the drive train.

Changed to the Venoms and now the bike runs silent.

Edited by marke
typo

Well, I guess I'm not going to be riding it much till I can find time to get the rear off the ground and check it out more. I took a quick look and it's either cupping or the "squares" are delaminating. The corners of some (or all) of the "squares" are higher than the rest of the tire.quote]

I have been running ME 880s ever since I changed out the stock tires on the 04 "Black Beast". (yes I know, some have seperated). I have noticed that they do develop a "lean whine" after they get about 8K miles on em. It seems to come more from the rear tire than the front.

My milage has been running pretty good too. I just turned 54K on the bike last week. I have been getting around 12K on the rear and 18 to 20K out of the front tire. Other than a nail at 4K on one rear tire, I haven't had any problems out of them.:thumbsup2:

Hay BigBoy! Welcome to the site.

Regarding the Metz'ers. I have heard and read much about the Metzlers delaminating, but I can only offer you my experience.

I bought an 04 used with 16,000 miles on her. She had brand new Metzler 880's. 10,000 miles later, the rear tread had flattened and cupped severely. It still handled ok, but I didn't like the feel of running on the flattened out tread. I didn't notice any unusual noise, but then I'm practically deaf any way.

I decided to replace it. My dealer only carries the Metzler. Said he had to much trouble with Avons and switched to Metzler. I thought hard about ordering another brand from somewhere else, but at the last minute bought the 880.

So far its great. But I suspect any new tire would feel great compared to a flattened out tread pattern with cupping.

It never did delaminate, though.

Regards, Ponch :thumbsup:

Like there isn't a subject that hasn't been beat to death!:innocent: