IGNORED

METZ 880s

noahzark

I've read several posts here about the Metzler tires self destructing and have wondered why. The reasons have varied from "no quality control" to "their just junk tires."

I'm not a Metz fan--I run Avons--but I'm wondering if a thing I saw recently on ABC News could shed some light on the subject. It was an investigative report by John(?) Ross and dealt with the manufacturing dates on tires; some companies are selling tires that were produced as long as 10 or 12 years before they are bought off the shelf as "new." One of the consequences, according to the report, is "tires dried out on the inside" causing separation of tread at low mileages. They used anecdotal evidence for the most part--similar to the Bridgstone problem a few years back--but there was one shot of a tire in a cage that destructed while spinning. No guarantee that it was properly inflated or anything else though--just their implication that is was.

By the way, they were going by the manufactured-date code on the tires. For instance, the code 199 translated to the 19th week of 1999 for manufacture. 1902 would be the 19th week of 2002.

Mr. Tartan, can you verify any of this as feasible/plausible/probable? I gather you're in the business and I'm not sure I trust ABC News. (Can anyone else verify it?)

Thanks for any input on this. Again, I'm just trying to get at the truth through objective evidence.

Guest Brad25ca

I have 880s on my 86, and my brother runs 880s on his 99 ST1100. In my opinion, they are great tires. I've never heard of anyone in my area having a problem with them.

I have noticed there seems to be a problem ONLY on the 2nd Gen which has a larger rear tire.I agree that Metz has a good tire for other bikes but SOMETHING about the 2nd Gens they have a problem.My "born Date"on the Metz I bought were only 5 months on the shelf but started throwing rubber at 1700 miles.I was offered another set but no Thanks..I have heard it is an issue as to where they are made but I will not put them on my bike ever again. That being said there are many members on here that have had very good luck with them but the members that have had the same bad results far outweigh the good stories. I also would like to know the cause of why on the 2nd gen sizes..I ran air pressure to specs and EVERY time I ride anywhere I check the air.

my Metz was brand new from my local dealer, always checked tire pressure weekly. i put this new tire on, as i was going on a trip to the east coast, and mine let go with only 3,000 kilometers(2,000 miles). mine was made in Brazil stamped on the sidewall and less than 6 months old. the rubber sepatated from the carcass while doing 110 kph(65 mph). i am so fortunate to have not crashed with my wife and i on the bike. i you value your life, take those tires off right away.

then this year while riding down to Dons maintenace day, my buddies Metzeler rear tire let go. exact same thing happened to him, the rubber ballooned on his rear tire, rubber separated from the carcass. his tire was about 10 months old.

cheers, Scott

my Metz was brand new from my local dealer, always checked tire pressure weekly. i put this new tire on, as i was going on a trip to the east coast, and mine let go with only 3,000 kilometers(2,000 miles). mine was made in Brazil stamped on the sidewall and less than 6 months old. the rubber sepatated from the carcass while doing 110 kph(65 mph). i am so fortunate to have not crashed with my wife and i on the bike. i you value your life, take those tires off right away.

then this year while riding down to Dons maintenace day, my buddies Metzeler rear tire let go. exact same thing happened to him, the rubber ballooned on his rear tire, rubber separated from the carcass. his tire was about 10 months old.

cheers, Scott

Scott your Buddy was on a Harley too wasnt he? I think Iremember you writing on the event,If so I stand corrected on just the 2nd Gen as I had forgotten about that. Tom

Guest Brad25ca
I have 880s on my 86, and my brother runs 880s on his 99 ST1100. In my opinion, they are great tires. I've never heard of anyone in my area having a problem with them.

I should have mentioned we ordered the ties in from Metzeler, they are special order at the shop we go to & they order direct from the manufacturer.

After 3 sets of Metzlers and having two of those sets come apart im finished with those tires. There customer service was lousy. I do love the way they handled in wet/dry weather but sorry folks, a tire aint supposed to de-laminate like that.

My dad has run nothing but ME880s on his Kaw Voyagers over the last 10 years. He has had no problems. It very well could be because the larger size. Might never know.

I had them on my Voyager too with no problem for about 6000 miles. Then I sold the bike and got the RSV. HOwever, the Voyager is a MUCH lighter bike so I'm pretty well convinced its the extra size on the tire and the weight

I ran Metzler's on my Venture and have had no issues with them. The rear tire lasted about 10,000 miles, the most I ever got on the Venture. I'm still running the Metzler on the front, but I did switch to a BF Goodrich tire on the back. All of the big touring bikes here run Metzler's, and I have heard of nothing bad about them locally.

Many different views on the 880's I had a set on my 1st '99 without a problem until the bike was totalled (not by the tires). But I personally know of 5 people who have had problems with the 880's and 2 weren't on a Venture. Obviously buy what you want, but I will never buy a set of the 880's or reccommend them to anyone....0.98 less than a buck worth.

I put my ME880 Marathons on in Aug 05 and have 22,000 kilometres on them, that's around 13,600 miles. I have always run them at 41PSI, kinda the in between one up and two up tire pressures. We do alot of two up driving.

There is lots of rear tread left I plan on changing the tire next spring if I take a big road trip.

"

I'm not a Metz fan--I run Avons--but I'm wondering if a thing I saw recently on ABC News could shed some light on the subject. It was an investigative report by John(?) Ross and dealt with the manufacturing dates on tires; some companies are selling tires that were produced as long as 10 or 12 years before they are bought off the shelf as "new." One of the consequences, according to the report, is "tires dried out on the inside" causing separation of tread at low mileages. They used anecdotal evidence for the most part--similar to the Bridgstone problem a few years back--but there was one shot of a tire in a cage that destructed while spinning. No guarantee that it was properly inflated or anything else though--just their implication that is was.

By the way, they were going by the manufactured-date code on the tires. For instance, the code 199 translated to the 19th week of 1999 for manufacture. 1902 would be the 19th week of 2002.

I brought up this problem on another thread about the risks of buying tires from catalogs. I'm not condeming catalog companies in general just that I had a persoanl experience of one selling me tires that were almost 8 yrears old. I didn't suffer failure on the road but my "new" tires wouldn't pass inspection and following year due to dry rot. the catalog company stiffed me on the refund but the tire company sent me a new set in exchange for the manufacturing dates off both tires.

I've been running 880s on my 1st Gen for 3 years with nothing but good results. I ride 100 mile per day and mostly solo. I've been averaging 20k rear and almost 50k front. My current set is the new design with an alphabetical sizing rather than numeric. These actually have a lower max psi of 40psi on each. I run 38 front and 39 rear checking and adjusting twice a week. I only buy my tires at one place and I know for a fact they are extremely particular about the dating on what they stock. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'll continue to run 880s.