IGNORED

06 RSTD moans when it leans?

Sounds strange, but that's what it does. Almost sounds like back tire noise, but it just started happening a few miles back. Bike has a little over 2000 miles on it. I have checked pressures, final drive oil is new (synthetic) and everything else is fine. A Roadstar buddy of mine said it was hard to hear in his half helmet, but he thought tire noise. It's easily heard in my full helmet. Do I need to take it in?

I have heard this on my own bike and know exactly what is wrong. It is your rear tire. If I'm right it is a Bridgestone. Here is the fix. Take the Bridgestone tires off the bike and throw them away. They are noisy and (in my opinion) dangerous because they track grooves and ridges in the road and compromise your handling. You've only got 3000 miles or so left on the rear tire anyway.

Now, buy some Avon Venoms (some here like the Dunlop or Michellen Commanders) and enjoy the ride. The bike won't track grooves and ruts in the road, and it will be a nice, quiet, confident ride.

If you are not considering buying the leveling links then put on a narrower front tire (MT90/16) The Avon has a higher load rating than your stock tire and it will improve your slow speed handling.

If you are considering the leveling links put them on along with the stock size Avon tires. You will see a great improvement in the slow speed handling of the bike, and in the responsivness in the twisties.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the quick reply. I went out to the parking lot and looked. You are correct. They are Bridgestones. I haven't noticed any problems in handling (maybe I don't know what I'm missing?).

Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealerships to help with this issue? If it's just tire noise, I think I can live with it for a few thousand miles until I get new tires. I feel a lot better now that I know what it is!

Thanks!

My 99 RSV moaned and groaned in the corners. It ended up being the rear splines dry and rusted. I just cleaned and greased them, now no noise. You should always grease the splines every time you change the rear tire. It could be the tires, but I'm putting my money on the splines since I have yet to hear of anyone getting a RSV from a dealership and the not being dry.

If you have a lift it's about a 45 minute process to grease them. Look in the tech section for rear tire removal and I believe you will find info on greasing the splines.

I'll throw my hat in with it being the tires. Only difference is I would describe the noise more like a howl and it went away when I replaced my Bridgestones with Avons. The noise would start as I leaned into a corner and went away when I straightened up. My dry splines caused more of a clicking or grinding sound than a moan but each could be different.

It is hard to diagnose a problem from a sound that you can't hear. The input on the splines is good stuff. I would suggest that if the handling doesn't bother you and it is more like a howl than clicking, you could wait until the tires wear out. You may get 8000 miles out of your rear Bridgestone. I took mine off at 5000 miles and never looked back. You really don't know what you are missing as far as handling improvements, especially with the narrower front tire..

My first impression is that your noise is the tires. I had the same issue with my bike. At first I thought it was just a section of concrete roadway that I went over on the way home from work. Then I realized it was there on other types of roads as well. I also really didn't like the way the bike handled on the rain grooves and tire tracks, or at parking lot speed. New tires and the leveling links made the bike much more nimble and quiet.

If you feel like tinkering and have a lift, you might want to check to see that the splines are greased properly. If not, be sure to have them checked when you get the tires replaced. There is a good article in our tech library about this.

As far as getting some satisfaction from the dealer, you might get them to check your splines for you. It’s worth asking about. If they say it’s the tires then I doubt they will do much for you. You’re sure I can’t talk you into throwing out the Bridgestones?

Best of luck.

FWIW I have the same issue with the Bridgestone tire in the back. I hear it at in town speeds mostly when I lean slightly to either side and when the tire is warm. I hate these tires and plan to change them soon.

It sounds like a howl when my speed goes above 30.

• 2 weeks later...

Same noise --just had my rear splines greased--noticed the noise yesterday---almost 4000 miles. Not sure why ALL motorcycle makers cant put decent tires AND seats on the new machines. Ill bet every buyer would be happy to pay the difference . ---Buzz

• 1 month later...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif I just did 2 trips back to back in the N. GA mts. NC mts. and TN mts. and did the Dragon several times. Everyone seemed amazed at how well the rstd handled but I heard the moaning too. I now have 5600 miles and will go to the venoms or dunlops soon. I think the bike handles well and can't wait for new tires. I agree about the bad tires and seat situation. I had to replace my seat because it was killing my taibone. I also put seafoam in for this trip and averaged 41 miles to the gallon with speeds up to 70 at times on the interstate on the way home. I know the area where we rode pretty well and I know a lot of roads as good as the Dragon in several different areas in case anyone wants to know. I had friends down from PA and WV and they were all impressed with the ride. I have the harley king tour pack on and didn't have to tie anything down and even carried stuff for my friends at times. If you hate the bike whine then take off the windshield and you'll never hear it.

Bob

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNxmk393BBUS

I also had trouble with the bridgestones, even when they were like new, being that the tread doesn't cross the center of the tire, any time i hit wet pavement at over 70 mph, the bike would do a sidestep. then when they wore a little they got noisy on the curves. The worst tires I have ever come across. Switched to Dunlops and couldn't be happier.

I put on Dunlop 404 series. Factory sizes. I got them from derbycycle. com . Both tires for $132.00 plus $14.00 shipping. Mounted and balanced them myself. That's what I call a deal.

Just came back from a 2800 mile ride, one day was 300 miles in the rain and not a shimmy or a shake.