IGNORED

No more Cataracts

OrlinEngh

I finally got in over the last couple of weeks and they put a new lens in the right and left eye. All I can say is wow its like seeing a new world out there again. If you have been putting it off dont. Its quick in and out. Both times I was in and out the door in less than two hours and the surgery didnt even take 10 minutes. Crazy the stuff they can do now.

Sharon and me got on the bike and put on 150 some miles Saturday. And no more of that funny feeling in my head that I have been getting the past couple of years when going around the curves and there are plenty of those around here. And am back to getting to my list of things that I had put on the back burner until I had this done.

Next on my list is me and my Granddaughter are heading out fishing next week now that I can see to tie on a hook or a lure and we should have us a great time.  And then I am going to pack up the cycle and pull up to the end of the drive and flip a coin for left or right and take a ride for a few days with no place special in mind. 

Orlin

• Like 5

9 hours ago, OrlinEngh said:

I finally got in over the last couple of weeks and they put a new lens in the right and left eye. All I can say is wow its like seeing a new world out there again. If you have been putting it off dont. Its quick in and out. Both times I was in and out the door in less than two hours and the surgery didnt even take 10 minutes. Crazy the stuff they can do now.

Sharon and me got on the bike and put on 150 some miles Saturday. And no more of that funny feeling in my head that I have been getting the past couple of years when going around the curves and there are plenty of those around here. And am back to getting to my list of things that I had put on the back burner until I had this done.

Next on my list is me and my Granddaughter are heading out fishing next week now that I can see to tie on a hook or a lure and we should have us a great time.  And then I am going to pack up the cycle and pull up to the end of the drive and flip a coin for left or right and take a ride for a few days with no place special in mind. 

Orlin

Welcome to the club. I had mine done last year and never in my life could I see so far and so clear and with so much detail. My 1st discovery was that trees had individual leaves they weren't just all green like a kids coloring book. I always had the fear if I lost my glasses whether on the motorcycle out on a horse or backpacking and/or canoeing  the back country that I would be in what heck of a bind. Not any more.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 2

Me too.  A couple of months ago I had cataract surgery and now I can see perfect for the first time without glasses since I was a kid and I'm 79.  The standard lens that Medicare would pay for completely wouldn't correct my astigmatism so I opted for the Toric lens that cost me about $1500 per eye.   I opted for the eye drops for 4 weeks instead of the eye injection.  

7 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Me too.  A couple of months ago I had cataract surgery and now I can see perfect for the first time without glasses since I was a kid and I'm 79.  The standard lens that Medicare would pay for completely wouldn't correct my astigmatism so I opted for the Toric lens that cost me about $1500 per eye.   I opted for the eye drops for 4 weeks instead of the eye injection.  

I did the same on the advice of others before me. Some not all who settled for the basic have said the wish they had gone the extra step so I did.

Welcome to the club I had it done several years ago when I was having trouble at work and yes it made a lot of difference. follow the doctors orders and let everything heal up before over doing it. 

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

I'm going to need it very soon and it scares the heck out of me.  Bering completely blind in one eye, I'm terrified about having the other one messed with

The optometrist that I have been going to for 30 years recommended the optician or surgeon and said he had been sending patients to him for 12 years.  I was scared too because eyesight is such as precious thing.  But, millions of us have had it done and I'm amazed at the outcome.  You will need reading glasses afterwards.  I bought some tinted 1.25 glasses for my computer time and I found a pair of glasses I used to use when I wore hard contacts that I'm guessing are 2.00 for reading.  Medicare will pay for one pair of glasses after the surgery but I didn't feel the need.  

Edited by BlueSky

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

I'm going to need it very soon and it scares the heck out of me.  Bering completely blind in one eye, I'm terrified about having the other one messed with

Botched cataract surgery's are rare. Little to be leery about.

I've had my left eye done and Shirley has had her right done. I'll need the right eye done soon.

Shirley is also blind in her left eye and the surgery gave her new life.

Get in there and get her done. The improved vision is immediate  

9 hours ago, Freebird said:

They have it down pretty pat so I would say go for it. Ask around and find out who in your area is the most recommended.

Edited by saddlebum

This is not to be an arse but as a kid I could read the charts at 20/10, I believe that's correct, what everyone else could read at 10' I could read at 20' using that analogy. Well now I'm in my 50's and got a vision checkup before COVID because I had to start wearing readers for fine print on circuit boards etc and things started looking blurry while driving where I could read them easily just a couple of years. It had me a little worried, we had a friend who had Macular Degeneration and his sight went quickly. I walk into the office and explain to the nurse what I was experiencing, we do the 'test' and I wait for the doctor. She comes in and tells me to get out, tongue in cheek of course.  I tested at 20/20. She did some other checks/tests for cataracts etc and all negative. I had a little scarring in one eye where I had a small piece a brick (I was putting in a wall penetration for cabling) got under my safety glasses and caused a scratch on the eye. I cannot fathom or comprehend the serious issues some have with their eyes and when I read things like this it definitely makes me count my blessings more. 

I had both eyes done in May. Right eye was a cataract and it was fully covered by insurance as it was done with standard surgery. Left eye also had a astigmatism and laser would be a benefit but it was out of pocket. I opted for the laser. Now I’m 20/20 in both eyes. Still need mild readers (1.25) but overall I’m very pleased. No more prescription glasses! And Don, my wife is in a similar situation. One eye has macular degeneration and she only has outer vision. Her “good” eye is pretty bad with astigmatism and cataract and the dr feels that she can correct it but since it’s the only seeing eye left she’s really hesitant about getting it done.