IGNORED

Toys are getting exoensive

Freebird

So this week it was time to change the oil in the trike and also our two Waverunners.  Let me add here than I would rather change the oil in 10 Royal Star Ventures than a single Waverunner.  What a pain that is.  

Anyway, those of you who have been around here a while know that I am a big fan and use nothing but Mobil 1.  Mobil 1 MX4T motorcycle oil in the bike and standard Mobil 1 in the Waveruunners, car, and truck.  I never try to convince anybody about which oil to use.  All I know is that Mobile one has served me very well since the mid to late nineties.  That being said and to be totally honest, in over 50 years of riding and driving, I have never had an oil related failure and have used several different oils over the years.

It's getting expensive to do a simple oil change though.  I bought 4 quarts of MX4T for the bike and 7 quarts of regular Mobil 1 to do. the two Waverrunners as well as the 3 filters to do them all.  Total price, a bit over $150.00.     No telling what it would cost if I had somebody do my oil changes.  

I'm right there with you, Trina came home yesterday and said her car told her it was time for an oil change so I told her to tell her mechanic she said I just did I guess I'll be changing the oil today :scratchchin:

• Haha 3

When Menard's has the 15% bag sale at the start of the year I make multiple passes through for gallon jugs of Penzoil iin 5w-20 & 5w-30, and Rotella 5w-40.  I try to buy enough to hold me through for the year, which usually is about $500 worth in one shot...

That was the other issue.  I did buy the oil in one 5 quart jug and 2 quart bottles at Walmart for the Waverunners but ended up going to 4 different auto parts stores to find enough filters and the MX4T for the bike.  Each store had only one filter, and three of them didn't have the oil.

I agree, Since I sold my Venture in 2017, I've gotten lazy and have had a shop do my maintenance on my Harley and now my Can Am.. I called the dealer to inquire about an oil change.  $425... WTF... Not just NO, but Hell No.  So guess what I'm doing this weekend...  I just got the filter, O-rings and oil...  I have a shop manual and the u-tube videos... I used to enjoy doing maintenance on the Venture we will see on this Can Am Spyder...... The plus side of the Can Am Spyder is the oil needs to be changed every 9300 miles or yearly...  So I'ma gonna go for it...

• Like 4

Forgive my ignorance, but why Mobil 1 instead of the yamalube that the manual states? And the only mobil 1 motorcycle oil I can find locally is their 4T "Racing" oil, is that the same as the MX4T? 

22 hours ago, Russ said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why Mobil 1 instead of the yamalube that the manual states? And the only mobil 1 motorcycle oil I can find locally is their 4T "Racing" oil, is that the same as the MX4T? 

Well to be honest, I think that changing their oil and filters on a regular basis is the most important thing.  Any oil that meets thee specs and is non energy  reducing is fine.  The truth is, I started using Mobil One back in the late nineties and have just come to trust it.  People have some string opinions regarding which oil is best and I just use what has treated me well for many years.  To be honest though, I've been riding for over 50 years and have used many different oils and have never had an oil related engine issue.  I guess if I had to point out a reason, it would be because I don't have to drive to, order, or find a Yamaha dealership if I need oil when on a trip.  That really isn't a big issue though because my RSVs have never needed any oil between changes and I've rarely taken a trip that requires an oil change before I get back. home.  In fact, there has been only one trip that I probably should have changed it during the trip but didn't.

1 hour ago, Freebird said:

Well to be honest, I think that changing their oil and filters on a regular basis is the most important thing.  Any oil that meets thee specs and is non energy  reducing is fine.  The truth is, I started using Mobil One back in the late nineties and have just come to trust it.  People have some string opinions regarding which oil is best and I just use what has treated me well for many years.  To be honest though, I've been riding for over 50 years and have used many different oils and have never had an oil related engine issue.  I guess if I had to point out a reason, it would be because I don't have to drive to, order, or find a Yamaha dealership if I need oil when on a trip.  That really isn't a big issue though because my RSVs have never needed any oil between changes and I've rarely taken a trip that requires an oil change before I get back. home.  In fact, there has been only one trip that I probably should have changed it during the trip but didn't.

That makes sense. I'd personally rather not have to play the sourcing game for yamalube if theres something I can get local. Is there an oil filter that would be available at local stores as well, or is that a strictly order from yamaha part? 

Russ the oil filters for the RSVs are a common filter and are available in most parts stores. I get mime from the local NAPA store. NAPA filters are made by Wix and that is the brand of filter I prefer using.  I have ordered them from Amazon as well to save a little on the cost of the filters.  

The oil I use is Rotella T6 Full Synthetic that I pick up at Wal Mart. 

These are just my choices and I have had good results with them.  

Steve

Thanks everyone! Looks like I don't have to have a scavenger hunt after all! As soon as my clutch slave cylinder comes in, I can have the oil ready to go and get back out there. Always appreciate the help for y'all! 

• Like 1