IGNORED

Are large touring bikes going away?

Freebird

Here's another thing.  What about the large riding clubs?  As most already know, Star Touring has closed it's doors.  Now I'm hearing, but haven't confirmed, that the Goldwing Riders Association is pulling the plug. Of course the Venture Touring Society/Motorcycle Touring Association threw in the towel long ago.  I understand that the Ventures are not doing well and our membership here is way down also.  I'm sure that there are multiple reasons for this and we have discussed them before but it may go hand in hand with the decline of touring bike sales.

• Like 2

I'd have to say this whole covid thing has thrown a monkey wrench into countless areas of our lives. Hopefully we can get back to normal with logic and good old fashioned common sense.

The other thing that is affecting riding, is the recession we are currently in.  Had a friend with an RV and trailer for bike tell me he was leaving them home, driving his car to  Florida and getting an Air B&B ? as it was a lot cheaper than driving the RV.  People will have less money for extras and I believe the companies are anticipating this...

Edited by Joe in WV
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Freebird said:

Here's another thing.  What about the large riding clubs?  As most already know, Star Touring has closed it's doors.  Now I'm hearing, but haven't confirmed, that the Goldwing Riders Association is pulling the plug. Of course the Venture Touring Society/Motorcycle Touring Association threw in the towel long ago.  I understand that the Ventures are not doing well and our membership here is way down also.  I'm sure that there are multiple reasons for this and we have discussed them before but it may go hand in hand with the decline of touring bike sales.

I have been involved in various motorcycle groups, Star riders, HOG, Eagles club, etc, etc, and All are Struggling to survive or have closed doors, just like Mom & Pop Businesses.

Not sure the answer as we are getting older and the youth mostly care about the next greatest electronic.  All I know is when we were all young, we enjoyed the days of working on our bikes or cars, but unfortunately manufacturer development, though great, has taken away the part where Your Bike was part of you, and you loved it, Later-

• Like 6

While modern tech has made most vehicles more reliable, it has also taken the "I'll work on it" aspect away for a lot of folks. Some of the electronics like cars have made DIY stuff impossible. Most bikes need a manufacture specific scan tool to really get the low down on whats going on. Unlike the automotive industry, government didnt think it necessary to make motorcycle manufacture all use a standard diag program, Like OBD2

• Like 2

From what I've read, most of the larger clubs have folded due to lack of new leadership.  They say that a very small percentage of people want to do the work.  A lot of members want to attend the large events but don't want to help with the work.  As the leadership has aged, the younger members aren't willing to step up and take over.  Don't know if that's true or not but it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, djh3 said:

While modern tech has made most vehicles more reliable, it has also taken the "I'll work on it" aspect away for a lot of folks. Some of the electronics like cars have made DIY stuff impossible. Most bikes need a manufacture specific scan tool to really get the low down on whats going on. Unlike the automotive industry, government didnt think it necessary to make motorcycle manufacture all use a standard diag program, Like OBD2

Whether it's a car, boat, lawnmower or motorcycle,  working on it yourself brings you much closer to that machine.   It's what builds the understanding and "love" of that machine.   When you work on it yourself, you take a greater pride in it....you much better understand what's making it "tick" and how this machine is propelling you down the road at 70mph and how / why it stops when you brake.    That's part of the work / understanding / love / and joy of riding that would be lost with any machine that needs a higher level of service tools.   I'll bet the mechanics who would perform such service would lack much of the understanding of what makes it tick....just do what the 'puter tells them.....

LOVE of your bike is a lot like the love of your wife...Takes work, and the understanding gained by the personal interaction and frustration, anger, joy and success of every aspect of those interactions.

cash money GIF by Ashlyn Anstee 

• Like 2

" LOVE of your bike is a lot like the love of your wife...Takes work, and the understanding gained by the personal interaction and frustration, anger, joy and success of every aspect of those interactions."

Will let you know how I feel about that later on today. Going to look at the old girl this morning...  I purchased speed bleeders years ago but never installed them. Believe I will dig them up and give em a shot.

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

From what I've read, most of the larger clubs have folded due to lack of new leadership.  They say that a very small percentage of people want to do the work.  A lot of members want to attend the large events but don't want to help with the work.  As the leadership has aged, the younger members aren't willing to step up and take over.  Don't know if that's true or not but it makes sense.

Good thought,,,, We just attended our Grand sons wedding, all planned and organized by his Mom, that's what happened a lot years ago. Today though, on the whole we hire someone to do all that. We hire planners, caterers, musicians, bar tenders, DJs or a band,,,, yep, that's today society, lack of leadership and planners and definitely a lack of workers. My side of the family cleaned the place up afterwards, including the dishes, not even a offer for help from the other side, but they did keep the barkeeps busy. Good point!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:44 AM, RDawson said:

For those of us that shop in the big n tall shops smaller bikes just don’t work. I had someone tell me a few years ago my bike looks too small for me. I’m not comfortable folded up on a smaller ride. 

I grew up to about 5 foot 6 inches and for some reason I am back to 5 foot 5 inches ...They tell me that it is a aging process , which it may well be ...But sometimes that different sizes and strokes makes life interesting  ... Maybe that is why manufactures cannot always get it right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1