IGNORED

Spare Gas Can

cwtart

I'm looking for a spare gas can to carry in my 2008 RSV saddlebag - maybe 1-2 gallons. The Reda can appears to be no longer available. Anyone have any suggestions for a gas can that will fit in the saddlebag? Something I don't have to worry about spilling or leaking. Thanks.

Wow, I just bought a Reda can last year. I was on my way home Tuesday when I came across a kid pushing an old Yamaha 250. I didn't have the can with me at the time since I only carry it while on longer trips. Turned out his gas gauge was not working so I purchased a 1 gallon can (yes gas too) from the station and gave it to him.

The question is, will it fit in the saddlebag? The dimensions look like maybe too wide. Although I don't know the width and height of the RSV saddlebag. And I am not where my RSV is so I cannot measure it.

I measured mine. If you put it in the front of the bag it will fit.

Thanks - now all I gotta due is get up the courage to spend the $50 they are asking for a wedge-shaped plastic one-gallon jug - I guess they have the market cornered.

IMG_4524.jpg

I had these extra gas tanks for my Honda Sabre welded up at a nearby shop. The dimensions were chosen so that they fit right behind my saddlebags, but the dimensions could be anything that works for you. There are fittings on the bottom of each tank that connect to an electric fuel pump so that I only have to hit a switch on the handlebar to move the gas in each of the tanks into the main tank. When the main tank goes onto reserve, there is enough room for the gas in one of the spare tanks. There is no need to stop the bike or fiddle around trying to dump gas from a spare tank into the standard gas filler location. This whole system works great and tripled the bike's range. Not as simple as a plastic bottle stuffed in a saddlebag, but this is certainly less messy and much more convenient.

Just thought you might be interested.

zag

• 1 month later...
Guest divey
Hi all,

I want to do a ride report on in the saddlebag gas cans lik http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id357.html

anyone have this kind or know of a different vendor? cowpuc are you listening?

Thanks

VentureFar...

Neal I have the Reda RDA-1. I no longer have my RSV 2-wheels but that can does fit nicely into the side saddle bags. I believe I had to remove the foam liner that is in the bottom of the bag in order to close the lid (it's that close). The pour spout is a pressure activated rig so essentially you can tip the spout down into the tank without spilling any fuel in the process. I never had a situation where I needed the extra fuel but it's peace of mind knowing you've got a bit extra in the back in case. Doug

Neal I have the Reda RDA-1. I no longer have my RSV 2-wheels but that can does fit nicely into the side saddle bags. I believe I had to remove the foam liner that is in the bottom of the bag in order to close the lid (it's that close). The pour spout is a pressure activated rig so essentially you can tip the spout down into the tank without spilling any fuel in the process. I never had a situation where I needed the extra fuel but it's peace of mind knowing you've got a bit extra in the back in case. Doug

excellent. Thanks for the info. I reached out to Reda directly in their web site. I’ll advise how they reply.

VentureFar...

I have the Reda and I've used it once when riding in a group, not even in my bike (Darn Harleys with peanut tanks). It fit in my '06 without issue but it does not fit well in the SVTC I have now. I now carry it all the time though empty most of the time. See my comment above for the reason. All of my gas cans with the exception of the Reda have normal spouts so I was not familiar with the locking setup. Took a few seconds to see it wasn't flowing. You can just imagine the language at first. :rolleyes: I do like the idea and have kept the original spout with it. I've got a mechanic buddy I ride with and he has just a generic can. He replaced his spout because he didn't like the locking spout.

I have carried MSR bottles since 2007 and they work great but no one cares about a ride report on an MSR bottle. That is why i am asking about "purpose" built motorcycle side bag gas cans.

I have coming in for test

1. remote reading tire pressure valve attachments that bluetooth to your phone

2. Satellite phone hotspot that works with your phone when you are in areas of "NO SERVICE"

Hoping to test other stuff too.

VentureFar...

Hi all,

I want to do a ride report on in the saddlebag gas cans lik http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id357.html

anyone have this kind or know of a different vendor? cowpuc are you listening?

Thanks

VentureFar...

Yeppers my sweet brother,, I is listening!!!! Only dont look to me advice cause I am still doing my faithful old "plastic oil quart filled with gas, stuffed in sock and tie wrapped to the underside of my tent rack routine.. Look closely under Tweeks flag, just to the left of my water bottle in pic.. :big-grin-emoticon:

You are definitely on your own on this one ya lop eared bike loven varmint biker brother of mine!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

DSCN1206.JPG

Yeppers my sweet brother,, I is listening!!!! Only dont look to me advice cause I am still doing my faithful old "plastic oil quart filled with gas, stuffed in sock and tie wrapped to the underside of my tent rack routine.. Look closely under Tweeks flag, just to the left of my water bottle in pic.. :big-grin-emoticon:

You are definitely on your own on this one ya lop eared bike loven varmint biker brother of mine!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118667

Hard to see how anything could be safer for gasoline than a milk jug tied to the side of the bike. Of course, good luck does play a role.

zag

No ya lop eared chopper riding varmint,, that would be my water supply!! My xtra gas is located just to the left of that water jug and, as I mentioned,, it is tie wrapped to the undercarriage of my tent rack!! Both extremely useful for one who loves and rides the desert regions IMHO.. I do suggest strongly that one never get the two mixed up when desperation sets in for one reason or the another Zag.. I like carrying "throw away" containers for each cause I can easily and affordably just give a stranded motorist (I help cagers and bikers alike) my supply of either in a crunch and refill my supply very easily.. Speaking of that water jug hanging on Tweeks side,, I have been teased a lot about that,, usually the joke turns on the teaser when I ask how much time they have spent CTFW in those awesome desert temps.. Usually a reminder that water is more valuable than gold in the desert, especially if you have none,, usually changes the direction of the conversation LOL:big-grin-emoticon: