IGNORED

Can any of you identify this rifle?

Freebird

This is an old military rifle that my father in law left. It's obviously not worth much but I'm curious as to what it is. He was as WWII vet, Navy Radioman. Most of his time was spent on airplanes. This rifle has what appears to be Japanese or some Asian mark on it. I don't see a caliber stamped on it anywhere.

IMG_1852.jpg IMG_1853.jpg IMG_1854.jpg IMG_1855.jpg IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1857.jpg

Don, 30 years ago I took a bunch of colleagues deer hunting. One of them brought a WWII Japanese rifle that had been in the family. He wasn't a hunter and was the first time he'd used the rifle. As I recall it was some odd .30 caliber that was difficult to chase up cartridges for.

What I remember about that gun was the weird knob safety on the back of the bolt that would not allow cycling the bolt (to load/unload or chamber a round) when safed. I see a similar knob in your picture.

A little googling indicates it's probably a Nagoya Type 99 Infantry Rifle chambered in 7.7X58mm. Looks like they can be found for $250 and up. If you pony up for 100 rounds they're $1.40 each.

Edited by MiCarl

After looking at the sites you you good folks pointed me to, I have to agree that it is the Type 99 in 7.7 mm. From what I can tell, that translates to .303. Prices are all over the place but as I suspected, they aren't worth a lot. I don't see many list for sale with the bayonet so that might add a bit but it doesn't matter, I'm not selling it anyway. Thanks for the help folks.

For what it's worth, I doubt I'll ever shoot it or even try to find any ammo for it. It's just a cool old gun to look at.

He wasn't a big gun guy. Just something that he ended up with from his WWII days I suppose. Found his Navy flight jacket, leather helmet with goggles, flight suit, etc. Pretty interesting.

As for as guns, he only had this one and a couple of other very low end models. A H&R Special. It's a break top 9 shot .22 long rifle and an old H&R Gamemaster 12 gauge bolt action shotgun. Neither are worth much of anything but I'll probably just hang on to them anyway.

Yes , definitely a 7.7 Jap rifle. I have one I customized many years ago...custom stock, Timie adjustable trigger, cut down and crowned the barrel, cut and refit the bolt , scoped etc...ended up being a fine shooter...ammo is a little expensive but still available. Also came in a shorter tank carbine in 6.5 cal if my memory is correct. I still shoot mine to this day.

Edited by BIG TOM

After looking at the sites you you good folks pointed me to, I have to agree that it is the Type 99 in 7.7 mm. From what I can tell, that translates to .303. Prices are all over the place but as I suspected, they aren't worth a lot. I don't see many list for sale with the bayonet so that might add a bit but it doesn't matter, I'm not selling it anyway. Thanks for the help folks.

For what it's worth, I doubt I'll ever shoot it or even try to find any ammo for it. It's just a cool old gun to look at.

He wasn't a big gun guy. Just something that he ended up with from his WWII days I suppose. Found his Navy flight jacket, leather helmet with goggles, flight suit, etc. Pretty interesting.

As for as guns, he only had this one and a couple of other very low end models. A H&R Special. It's a break top 9 shot .22 long rifle and an old H&R Gamemaster 12 gauge bolt action shotgun. Neither are worth much of anything but I'll probably just hang on to them anyway.

VERY INTERESTING!! Yep,, as always, I think this group of lop eared lead tossing varmints are onto it Bossman.. Looks like that particular model is fairly doable on Gunbroker = https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=type%2099. Also appears that, as mentioned, the ammo for that puppy starts at $1.40 each :scared: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.7x58mm but still totally available if ya ever did decide to touch one off.. WAYYYYYYY cool on the other personal WW2 memories from Eileens father - just amazing what those soldiers went thru in their effort to support the cause of freedom = THANK YOU SIR (and Godspeed/RIP as I was just reading about your passing)!

At first glance I thought it was an old Mosin Nagant 7.62x54 but the mag looks wrong. All the shops around here had a barrel of them in the corner for $79 back in the 80's.

We had them too brother = GREAT memories!! Also remembering the MOUNTAINS of cheap 7.62x39 Chinese SKS's with bayonettes and cleaning kits for about the same price (89 bucks) and CRATES of ammo for 60 bucks a pop.. I went thru several of those SK's myself but never did find an accurate one..

We had them too brother = GREAT memories!! Also remembering the MOUNTAINS of cheap 7.62x39 Chinese SKS's with bayonettes and cleaning kits for about the same price (89 bucks) and CRATES of ammo for 60 bucks a pop.. I went thru several of those SK's myself but never did find an accurate one..

Glad to see ya back Puc. Was starting to wonder where you was.

My friend who was a gunsmith custom built the 6.5 tank carbine.. He used a solid piece of clear blue plexiglass and build a rollover stock for his out of it....You wan't to talk about cool looking. You could see all the screws and action thru the stock. He still owns it . AND I WANT IT.....!

At first glance I thought it was an old Mosin Nagant 7.62x54 but the mag looks wrong. All the shops around here had a barrel of them in the corner for $79 back in the 80's.

I've been looking at a few at my local gun shop, full kit with sling, bayonet, and canvas ammo pouches for $259. Not that I would be shooting it much, but the history to have it along withe my "military" Ural Russian motorcycle would be cool.