IGNORED

Any experience with lawn tractors?

Kretz

I have Craftsman Lawn Tractor, it's around 14 years old & has given good service, Briggs & Stratton twin engine. I keep on top of servicing oil/ filter changes, battery (kept on a maintainer when not in use) battery is two years old.

Just trying to get to the bottom of a problem I'm having.

I try to start it & the engine kicks (as in it tries to turn but doesn't) I hear a loud clicking sound, it can do this many times at each turn of the key, then suddenly it turns over properly, starts immediately & runs fine with no problems or hiccups.

I'm going to check & clean all the terminals (battery, starter motor etc) for corrosion (high resistance) & also that I have a good ground connection from the battery to the frame. Maybe it just needs a new starter motor but before I do that.....

Any other suggestions as to what may be causing the problem?

Edited by Kretz

Most Briggs riding mower engines have an automatic compression relief that works off the flywheel. It holds the, intake valve I think, open just a bit to relieve compression when starting. Valve clearance has to be set properly for it to work as it should. How long since you have adjusted the valves? I used to check and adjust mine about once per season. I say "used to" because my current mower has a different engine

Also maybe pull the starter and check the bendix for engagement.. Sometimes they hang up from being dry and will do exactly as you describe.. Couple drops of oil on the shaft the bendix rides on and poof,, all better till it drys out again..

I'm with Don on this one. Briggs engines need valve adjustments regularly. Have a brother that makes a fortune buying slow starting or non starting mowers, adjusts the valves and resells them running great

I second Don on this one. The valve clearances on Briggs engines get too tight over time and cause hard starting. Actually hard turning over of the engine. Some engines have mechanical adjustments and some require grinding, filing or sanding on the retaining clip end of the valve stem to the proper clearances.

Thanks for the info guys, Don, I've never adjusted the valves, not even sure how to do that, but willing to have a go if I can find out how to do it.

Must admit I was thinking more along the lines of bad connections, solenoid or starter motor bendix etc so now there's another avenue to check if that route proves fruitless.

Thanks again all much appreciated!

the gear or Bendix on top of the starter is plastic and if you have never had a problem with it before, then I would at least check it and a two year old battery could be a problem also. connect a know good battery to it and see if it makes a difference.

My JD does this all the time. I just keep clicking it until it goes. Took the bendix apart a couple of years ago and now it's up to the same thing again. I figure it's just the nature of the beast and I have a spare if needed.

I have Craftsman Lawn Tractor, it's around 14 years old...

I agree with what everybody else on here is telling you to do to fix your lawn tractor. But, here is a novel idea... buy a new one! Here is a 200hp lawn muncher complete with Hoosier racing slicks. I bet you can mow your yard in ...say... less than half the time it used to take you, as it will still cut grass up to 55mph.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/riding-the-cbr1000rr-powered-honda-mean-mower.html

200HP_HondaLawnmower.jpg

HoosierSlicks.jpg

I agree with what everybody else on here is telling you to do to fix your lawn tractor. But, here is a novel idea... buy a new one! Here is a 200hp lawn muncher complete with Hoosier racing slicks. I bet you can mow your yard in ...say... less than half the time it used to take you, as it will still cut grass up to 55mph.

Ya! Good advice but I probably couldn't afford the tires never mind the machine! LOL

the gear or Bendix on top of the starter is plastic and if you have never had a problem with it before, then I would at least check it and a two year old battery could be a problem also. connect a know good battery to it and see if it makes a difference.

Ya! My thoughts were leaning towards the Bendix, I don't think it's the battery as it does the same thing even when using a known good battery

My JD does this all the time. I just keep clicking it until it goes. Took the bendix apart a couple of years ago and now it's up to the same thing again. I figure it's just the nature of the beast and I have a spare if needed.

Thanks Marcarl, that's what I've been doing up till now, but I really thought after a dozen or more tries the other day that it really wasn't going to start. I think I'll check & clean or even replace the Bendix gear.

As a long time seller of Craftsman tractors let me say this. the Briggs engine is great( its been used b most small lawn tractor companies for years. But it does have an issue or two. The aforementioned easy start bump on the cam to lower compression on start cycle and the head design does allows alot of carbon build up around the valves. Pulling the head and cleaning it and installing a new gasket is pretty straight forward and may help with the compression relief issue.

The plastic gear on the starter save them a couple bucks over a machined gear, and over the long used that engine its saved them lots of $$$. It is also a known trouble point as sometimes it is out of true enough to stop the bend engagement require multiple attempts at turning the key in order to allow engagement.